April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 1,213 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#490209 09/16/17 04:53 AM
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I have been discussing a possible purchase of a Heym drilling with a seller. He indicated that Greener cross-bolt has come out of the gun, but he has it and the bolt itself does not appear to be broken anywhere. I cannot remember how the cross-bolt connects to the lever or how it is held inside the action. The rest of the gun is in very good condition and is being sold for a very reasonable price.

My concerns would be:

1. Is this an easy fix? I have never heard of such a thing happening before.

2. Could this be a sign that something within the action is drastically wrong and this could not be a repaired gun? I know that this is always a possibility, but is there a direct link?

3. Is there a good drilling smith in the U.S. or would I be able to send this 50's gun to Heym USA for repair?

4. Any idea on cost for such a repair at face value? I'm attempting to determine if this would end up being a good deal, or if I should walk.

Thank you for any insight!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen it twice and I can't imagine how people manage to break them. The system is simple. The crossbolt has a slot and a flattened arm on the toplever fits into the slot. The arm just breaks somewhere along its length. I don't know who you can send it to but choose carefully. The gun probably locks up fine without it but it would be good to have a functional repair.

Last edited by Hammergun; 09/16/17 07:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The crossbolt is probably not broken.
The small tit that actuates the cross bolt is probably broken off.
I've read it happens from the unfamiliar attempting disassembly.
Someone should be along to explain how it gets broken off, and what to do about it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, the way it is retained is simple. And the only way it can come out is if something is broken or if the top lever is removed first.

Functionally, for normal use, the crossbolt is not required. It does nothing but act as a final measure of safety in the event that the other two bolting points fail.

If you like the gun, us it as a negotiating point and buy it. Then look into getting it repaired if you like.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

You should insist the seller have it repaired, and suggest he send it to New England Custom Guns or Doug Turnbull. There are others that can do the work, in a fine manner.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

"IF" the crossbolt is properly fitted it is certainly more than just another hold down bolt. The "Primary" function of the cross bolt is not to hold the gun closed at all, but to provide axial support to the top of the action to prevent the standing breech from springing open under firing stress, Underbolts do not do this at all, they only hold the gun closed, a job which they handle quite efficiently. In fact Ala the win 21 & Parker Bros a single underbolt is quite sufficiently adequate to hold the gun closed. Holding the gun closed is not the major role of the cross bolt. Unfortunately just because they are present does not always mean they were properly fitted thus they may indeed be doing "Nothing at All". Normally the strength of the frame is quite sufficient to contain the thrusts of firing.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
You should insist the seller have it repaired, and suggest he send it to New England Custom Guns or Doug Turnbull. There are others that can do the work, in a fine manner.
Mike

Yes. If he can't get it fixed I would pass and move on.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thank you very much gentlemen. I believe the gun is a consignment piece and as the seller is not the actual owner I do not think I can require them to repair it prior to sale. They did offer it at $1400 with a Zeiss Diatal mounted on SEM. The gun is on a Dural frame and chambered in 16x16-7x57R. It is probably in about 90% condition.

Given that information, does anyone feel this to be a poor buy or is it still a good deal even with the need for repair?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Discuss the problem and estimated cost of repairs with either Mark Cromwell at New England Custom Gun, Paul Smith at Griffin & Howe, whoever the go-to person is at Turnbull, J. J. Perodeau, or some other knowledgeable gunsmith you would feel comfortable working with.

The gun as-is is defective and after-purchase repair costs should be included in the cost to you of acquiring it.

Last edited by vangulil; 09/17/17 09:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

fallschirmjaeger,
It may be a good buy, even with needed repairs, if the identified problem is all. Check what a Zeiss Diatal and SEM alone would cost. I would buy it with right of return if other damages (ie to action) are present. The rod that runs from the selector to the one in the barrels that operate the rear sight may be a problem if someone has taken it apart and couldn't reassemble it. This particular rod can be hard to get back in, because it has a necessary bend that makes it only go in one way. Some people mistakenly straighten it.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 09/17/17 05:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.