March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M&M Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
I would suggest a SKB 20 ga. with IC/Mod chokes. An inexpensive gun that will last his life time.

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Citori upland special? Here is a local affordable example for price comp purposes:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-browning-citori-upland-special-20-gauge.1502801/

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lots of good input, thank you all! A plain boxlock would be perfect, especially a light 12. I just haven't found it yet. Ted: I know where there is a decent 17 for sale. I see it almost every week. My fallback is a M31L in 20.

James: he out-grew his Model 12 (1913 20 bore). Too short now.

Mr. Snyder: the SKB is great suggestion.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/11/17 09:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a 20 gauge Stevens 5100 or 312? Inexpensive and sturdy, although they are double trigger. Light enough for a youngster and the double trigger makes them think before the second shot.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 14yr old son and I are going through this excersize right now. Years ago I bought him a Remington 1100 special field 20 - nothing on earth as easy on a new shooter than a gas operated 20ga. He shot it a few times, but knew I prefer a double and I guess felt slighted by shooting the repeater. Right now he's shooting a 20ga sxs in the 6# range with a leather covered pad. It's more brisk than the 1100, but manageable and he hits clays in the back yard with it. I woulld hesitate to put a 12 in his hands too soon. Especially a light one. Most young men won't dare say it kicks too much and are more likely to lose interest or, almost as bad, develop bad habits.

This is the rationale that has lead us to a fairly interested young teenager asking to shoot clay pigeons every chance we get.

Boxlock
Boxlock

My 13 year old grandson just started his first hunting season. We started him out a few months ago at our club shooting Wobble Trap with the machine set to throw high. I had him start with my Browning Citori 16 gauge and he did well by the third and fourth round. We usually shoot two rounds a session, once a week. He's tried a few other guns- a Hunter Arms Fulton 20 Gauge , an H&R Hammerless Single Shot 12 gauge and my Browning Superposed 12 gauge. He did well with the 12 gauges , but I think the 16 gauge has been a perfect fit for him. Just a little heavy for him , throwing an ounce of number 8 shot in the Herters Dove/Target loads enables him to get good hits on the clays. Tonight he hit 20 out of 25 in his second round. We're looking forward to the Youth Duck Season this Saturday. It looks like I've lost my main bird gun, but gained a hunting/shooting partner.

I'd agree with looking for a good used Citori or Beretta if possible. I was initially going to buy him one of the new Savage O/Us, but one of my fellow club members had his Savage double on him on the line the week before my grandson started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This older single shot Savage is hammerless with a tang safety and if you can use Winlites or load your own it may be what you want.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694749370

Depending on the size of the young person, (if small) I alway thought a gas operated semi plugged to only hold the one in the chamber might be a more comfortable choice. But that moves you away from your original request.

The Weatherby SA-20? I don't own one of these but I've read good reviews.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Colin1949
Single shot shotgun. There are enough of them to be found (Winchester Model 37, Savage, Stevens, H&R, etc.). It is what I learned when my dad was teaching me back in the early 60s. I learned the value of my shots. I graduated to a side by when I got older, but I never forgot how much I learned shooting that used Stevens. I had to pull the hammer back every time I loaded a new shell.

There's no better shot than the man who only has 1.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB is a good option. Also a Ruger Red Label in 20 ga. If looking for a auto a Standard Weight 20 ga which is built on a 12 ga frame works well. Put a over length plug into it so it holds only one-off shell in the magazine. Two total. In fact I started my son out with a 1100 loading only one shell with none in the magazine. I would be more inclined to go with a 12 ga and reload shells for a boy from 7/8 to 1 1/8 ounce in a semi. Recoil is a real problem in light guns. And never give a kid a 20 ga then drop a couple of 3" shells in it. Those kick like a mule in a 20, kind of kill on both ends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm also very much in favor of starting a kid out with single shot rifles and shotguns. They are a great choice from the standpoints of learning proper gun handling and safety, and learning there is more to good shooting than flinging the maximum amount of lead. I started out with the 20 gauge version of the aforementioned Savage model 220 hammerless which I bought with my paper route money. I still have it, and still have the Winchester Model 67A single shot .22 that Santa Claus left under the tree when I was 10. They both provide a lot of memories, and I can't imagine ever selling them.

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3

James: he out-grew his Model 12 (1913 20 bore). Too short now.

But since the genie is already out of the bottle, and your son has been using a shortened 20 ga. Model 12, the most cost effective solution might be to simply buy a longer buttstock to get a few more years out of his present shotgun. You could hang on to the shortened butt to make it suitable for another kid in the future... maybe your grandson.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.