March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 81 1 2 3 4 80 81
Sidelock
Sidelock

No pics from today for me either. But, the report is good nonetheless. I shot 46% with the Yildiz .410 S x S to kill a 15 bird limit this afternoon. One grandson got 13, but the younger brother was in a bad location ............... happened to be surrounded by shooters who could shoot. Birds would be coming towards him but seldom made it in range for him.

Representative photo from an earlier year, but the same gun.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes
Piles of doves do nothing for me

Last edited by skeettx; 09/02/17 09:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Piles of doves do nothing for me

They do me, especially if they are slow cooked all afternoon in gravy.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

He he he
YUM
Enjoyed the answer
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 09/02/17 09:58 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Delighted you got the youngsters out on the opener Stan, those memories are precious.....

I gave the opener my .410 effort and acquitted myself well for an old crippled guy..... But I miss the chance to take those LOOOONG shots that I have always relished, so it will be put away for now, and today I went out with more suitable ( in my opinion) ordnance for West Texas Doves....needed it too, weather threw us a curve this afternoon....

Hope everyone gets their season off to a GRAND start....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I felt the same way, Paul, passing up lots of shots I knew I could have easily taken with a 20. I still poked at a few I shouldn't have. Shooting a .410 at game is as much about having the will power to only take shots close enough as it is skill.

But, with the two grandsons there I wasn't in a hurry to limit out and leave, so I tried to pace myself. It was fun.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

One last fling with this little this little 28 ga before giving to a nephew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another South GA dove opener in the book. Although I'm retired, I still serve on the board of a mutual Savings and Loan here in my hometown. A number of year's ago we figured out that it would be much less expensive over all to quit entertaining customers with preserve quail hunts and to just have one big dove shoot to open the season every year and invite a lot of people at once. We had about 90 folks yesterday, many with kids shooting with their dads. For the first time in many years I had all three of my grown sons in the field with me.

We dedicate the shoot to a local charity, "The James Eunice Foundation" and although the shoot is on us, we have raffles and a small auction to benefit the charity. The charity raised about nine grand yesterday.

Those who've been around here a while might remember me posting about a terrible duck hunting accident which occurred here a few years ago. Eighteen year old James Eunice was hunting with a nephew of mine at a private lake south of town. Somehow he fell out of the boat in waders in the middle of the sizable body of water, and drowned. My nephew was in the water on the decoys while James was relocating in the boat to another spot. He did not see what happened, but he did after a while notice the boat running in circles out in the middle of the pond. It took a tremendous search and recovery effort a month to find the body.

Before his death, James was due to be an honor graduate and attend the University Of Ga the next Fall to play football. After the tragedy, the parents organized the foundation to honor their son's life and dedicate the proceeds of the foundation to providing scholarships for deserving students from the South GA area.

The shoot yesterday was another success with most shooters, including two out of three of my boys limiting out. Personally I was a little under the weather but still managed to hold down my stand for a nice bag. Luckily, my friend '67 galaxie' sat nearby and was kind enough to retrieve my birds since I was a little unsteady on my feet.

Best wishes to all my friends here and I hope your coming hunting season is the best ever...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back, almost didn't go because of the gas panic in Dallas Thursday. Scrounged gas out of the generator and used my five gallon can of ethanol free that I use for the small power equipment, and got the tank near full (you basically could not find gas Thursday in Dallas). Neighbor was going to go, but decided not to because of the gas. I reasoned that it would be ok once I got out of town, took two five gallon cans with me. No problem, and I rolled onto the property with a full tank and ten gallons in cans. My son joined me Thursday through mid day Saturday, and here he is with a whitewing (took his eyes and ears off for the pic)

This is pic heavy, with a lot of the dog. Apologies for that, just wanted to show a variety of poses. Birds very thin the first day, but got progressively better.

Wicked storm blew in with what I would guess were 80 mile an hour winds (rain was horizontal), and destroyed my tall Mojo set up.

One of the more interesting cloud formations I've seen:

More pics on another post, lest this one get too heavy, and apologize for the text being scattered around- the return key is not working (I think I fixed it)

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dog and dove, by dawn's early light

An in field study in terminal ballistics for number 8 at about 1150 fps and 30 yard range: two views of the same dove:

entrance

exit

Great trip, glad I went.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 2 of 81 1 2 3 4 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.