March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz, SKB), 331 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 81 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 80 81
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well my son Jim and I went for a little walk for grouse today, saw birds, but for some reason they sure were wild today. Didn't bust a cap all day, oh well that's why they call it hunting! Raina did as best she could, couple of good points, but nothing there. It was a perfect day, low winds, cool and overcast. Just something about being on the prairies I love, that nice cool breeze, no noise, I just love it!

Jim and Raina, Jim was using a 20ga Yildiz SxS

Until later!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grounds around your son in that photo look lush compared to NE MT, Greg.

The drought has knocked our cover down and dried what is left into explosive tinder.

We have pulled our land out of the blocks, as are so many landowners up here.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't have the heart.
When it's 95 degrees, a man deserves a drink.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good for you, CZ. You will remember that much more than a kill.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/23/17 08:00 PM. Reason: punctuation

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of his sibs were above him in the brush on the left. Momma and two other sibs were across the road behind him cooling off under a pine tree.

I was running my derby, trying to get him a little heat endurance, so I wasn't armed. I thought Ted might like the pic.

The plan sort of came unglued when I walked up to the puddle and birds were going up ahead, AND behind us.

This heat has been brutal.

Out there doing it best I can.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RCC
Grounds around your son in that photo look lush compared to NE MT, Greg.

The drought has knocked our cover down and dried what is left into explosive tinder.

We have pulled our land out of the blocks, as are so many landowners up here.

Hey Bob, you should have seen it a month ago, dry as dust and brown as all get out. Within the last month we've been getting rain just about every week, sometimes 2 or 3 days. We are now within 2" of normal annual rainfall. But too late for the birds, crops or anything else that needed rain earlier this spring. Even with the rain we've been getting, the duck sloughs are really down. The ones I normally hunt are either gone or cover is a good 20 yards from the water. I think this year we may just do some jump shooting rather than over decoys. We haven't been seeing many pheasants either, we normally get some up while hunting grouse, but not this year. I'm afraid it's going to be a very poor season. I hope next year will be better, barring a bad winter. Fingers crossed!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Other than the two that flew over me while in the parking lot, this is the only dove I saw. Absolutely gorgeous sunrise.

Lou M

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice drilling Lou! I used to hunt with a guy who shot doves with one of those...Geo

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out after work today for a short walk. Saw a lot of birds today, but still wild. The big bunch we saw flushed as soon as we came over a ridge. We each managed a single, so not all was lost. Good day for a hours walk.

Jim, Raina and the birds. Jim was using his 12ga Yildiz:

My bird, I was using my 16b Charles Hellis:

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful Hellis.

Owen
Page 6 of 81 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 80 81

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.