April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 247 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,975
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Methinks the 10 stamped on the web between the forearm loop and the barrel flats is a clue. In looking through the pictures of other Colt Model 1878s on the internet I saw 12 stamped in that location.

I found 3 10 Ga that sold at auction all had the 10 stamped on the water table
I found 2 12 Ga both had 12 stamped

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I said, I am unfamiliar with Colt doubles, so I do not know if you could simply turn the hinge pin to move it around to an unworn section, or if you would have to replace it because it only indexes properly at one point. It appears the head is curved to match the curvature of the action bar. But if it is off face, it could likely be removed and welded to build up the worn area. Even if you could turn it, I'd assume there would still be wear in the hook as well. But if a thin shim on the water table makes things tight, it could be that your wear is in the bolting surfaces, even though there appears to be a gap between the barrels and standing breech. Again, hard to tell from this distance.

I think a Colt factory letter is going to be nothing more than a $100.00 expense to tell you that your gun probably came from the factory with 30" or 32" barrels, and has been cut. This is why it is never a good idea to cut down a perfectly good vintage double to make a Cowboy Action Shooter. It absolutely kills the value, and unfortunately, there are already a lot of them out there that are already shortened, if you take the time to look.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In looking at the Colt doubles for sale on Guns International I saw a couple of Colt letters that were pretty nice. The letter the previous owner got for the Model 1883 I have is pretty bleak. It states that the finish is "blue" and that the stock is "wood." The only "blue" I see on my gun is the trigger guard and the top-lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rem40X, I believe that Mr. Carney's ten gauge Darne did not come from the factory as a ten gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun has "Doc Holliday" written all over it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore:

That Mr. Carney's 10 was not originally manufactured in that gauge probably makes it the rarest 10 gauge Darne on the planet. Not much call for one today and even less for having someone make a set of barrels (or sleeve an existing set) to turn a 12 into a 10.

Beautiful gun though, at least from the handful of photos I've seen.

Rem

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.