May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (MattH, old colonel, Researcher, 1 invisible), 553 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,439
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Obviously I don't know a lot about double barrels and need a little help please is this a 10 or 12 Ga? I measured the barrels at the end of the gun both .771" at the chamber end .882" ID
It is stamped with a 10 here is a link to pics http://imgur.com/a/WIZS9
Also can anyone tell me what the small set screw is for (see pics)

Last edited by Discus420; 08/17/17 09:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a link to shotgun bore sizes.

http://www.hallowellco.com/bore_size_chart.htm

Nominal bore size for 10 gauge is .775". That tells us that your gun is a 10 gauge. And if your gun measures .771" at the muzzles of both barrels, that tells us there is little, if any choke. I'd immediately suspect that the barrels have been cut. If they have been cut, that will dramatically reduce the value of your gun. What is the length of the barrels?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I'd immediately suspect that the barrels have been cut. If they have been cut, that will dramatically reduce the value of your gun. What is the length of the barrels?

24" so this means chop chop?

whats a chopped Colt sxs go for?? Its also a little loose when locked can this be fixed at a reasonable cost? That's why I was asking about the set screw I was hoping it loosened the larger side screw that its part of the locking mechanism..........

I always guessed 12 Ga because a 12 Ga shell fit nicely in the gun not loose not tight

Last edited by Discus420; 08/17/17 10:44 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The gun in question here has an interesting top tang, quite long, and quite the inletting project for a stockmaker!! I just went through the Colt Model 1878 shotgun pictures on Bing and the guns for sale on Guns International and most Model 1878s have no rib extension, a top tang barely as long as the top lever and early style firing pins. Some guns have rib extensions, some have solid head plungers, and some top tangs are a bit longer then the toplever, some a bit more, but I didn't find any as long as on this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, 24" and no choke means chop-chop. A 12 ga. shell will fit somewhat loosely in a 10 gauge chamber. Have you tried a 10 ga. shell? A modern one won't go in all the way because your gun would most likely have 2 7/8" chambers. If you measurements are accurate, .771" at the muzzles would mean your barrels are at least .043" over nominal bore size for a 12 gauge. This would mean that someone would have had to hone over .021" out of your barrel walls, which might make them dangerously thin, and further reduce value. You did mention in your for sale ad that the barrels are bright and shiny, so I guess it's possible someone honed the crap out of them to remove deep pitting. Hard to tell with the information we have.

I assumed the setscrew you mentioned was a retaining screw for the hinge pin you called a side screw. I don't know for certain because I don't have any experience with Colt doubles. I merely kick myself from time to time for letting a very nice 1883 hammerless Colt double get away from me at a local auction about 10 years ago. It kinda sounds to me as if you have little more than a parts gun here. As such, the value would depend on how many good parts can be salvaged, and then finding a buyer for them. If the barrels aren't honed thin, someone might want it for a Cowboy Action gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Something doesn't quite add up here.

If the chamber actually measures .882", a 12 gauge shell will indeed go in... rim and all.

That's 'somewhat loosely'?

How can there be any doubt this is a 10 gauge gun?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was the one who used the term "somewhat loosely". Discus 420 said, "a 12 Ga shell fit nicely in the gun not loose not tight." It is only because of that statement that there is "any doubt that this is a 10 ga. gun"... and precisely why I suggested he try a 10 ga. shell.

I made my statement without the gun in question in hand. And also based upon a my experience with an H Grade Lefever I bought that was advertised as a 12 gauge. When I measured the chokes of the 28" barrels, they were around .745" and .755" as I recall. But the muzzles did not look thin, so I tried a 12 ga. shell, and it did indeed fit somewhat loosely, but did not fall all the way into the chambers. I then tried a 10 ga. 2 7/8" shell, and it fit perfectly. This was a pleasant surprise because I don't know of any other H grade Lefever in 10 gauge.

As I stated, it would be hard to make an accurate assessment of this Colt shotgun with the information we have. I couldn't get any but the first picture to open until now. It is now plain to see the wide open gap between the cut off barrels.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Methinks the 10 stamped on the web between the forearm loop and the barrel flats is a clue. In looking through the pictures of other Colt Model 1878s on the internet I saw 12 stamped in that location.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...&ajaxhist=0

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith:

I had a similar experience with a Darne, which was sold to me as a 12 gauge R-10 and turned out to be a 2-7/8 inch 10 gauge instead. At 7 pounds 3 ounces, it's not a gun one shoots with heavy loads, but the RST 1-1/8 ounce loads are a pleasure in it (and the old, no longer loaded, 1-1/16 ounce loads even more so).

It also turns out that 10 gauge Darnes are as scarce as hen's teeth in the U.S. I believe Ted Schefelbein has records of 6, including a very nice one that Tim Carney, who posts here from time to time, took to Africa a number of years ago.

Sometimes seller's mistakes do turn out to be pleasant surprises.

Last edited by Remington40x; 08/18/17 01:53 PM. Reason: Correct grammar
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
The gun in question here has an interesting top tang, quite long, and quite the inletting project for a stockmaker!! I just went through the Colt Model 1878 shotgun pictures on Bing and the guns for sale on Guns International and most Model 1878s have no rib extension, a top tang barely as long as the top lever and early style firing pins. Some guns have rib extensions, some have solid head plungers, and some top tangs are a bit longer then the toplever, some a bit more, but I didn't find any as long as on this gun.

That is a strange top tang thanks for the eyes Researcher I never noticed. I re measured the barrels 10x and the mean is .769 and .765
wall thickness is .055

If I place a piece of .006 shim stock on the water table it locks nice and tight no movement

Keith "I assumed the setscrew you mentioned was a retaining screw for the hinge pin you called a side screw"
Yes the hinge pin will it tighten the lockup?

Lastly would getting a Colt letter do anything except remove 100$ from my wallet??

Last edited by Discus420; 08/18/17 02:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.