April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,129 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#487044 08/02/17 04:58 PM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, time to quiz the collective knowledge. Does anyone know anything about a gunsmith named Risley Holmes or Shop that might be a pairing of Risley & Holmes? So far the only ones I have found were from the early 1800's. This 1903 is the product of his/their work. It is even nicer looking in the hand. That, other than caliber and Dahl (brand) on the front sight are the only marks on the rifle and stock. Thanks in advance.
Thaine

edited to ad: I let the cart get before the horse. A search through the site brings up M.S. Risley and a John E. Holmes and Morgan Holmes. Unfortunately the Photobucket worm ate the pictures of any referenced works. If anyone can post or provide me photos of their work, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Thaine; 08/02/17 05:19 PM.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
M S Risley did metal work for Bob Owens, see page 65 of Petrov Book 1. I have a rifle that Risley made after the war, not sure who did the stock. I'm trying to think where I have that rifle, it's not in the safe.
Dan

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dan,
Thanks. I saw that and have looked at the Owen pictures I can find. I just can't tell. One thing for certain, it has the straight staff Lyman inlet into the rear bridge of the receiver. I will try to get some pictures up in the next day or two so everyone can see.
Thaine

BTW Info for all, if you google a subject such as "Owen 1903" and go to google images many of the Photobucket pictures are visible as long as you don't go to the page.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Boxlock
Boxlock

In my Bourne Auction catalog for the 1980 sale of the 141 lots of the M.S. Riley collection, there is a short bio written by H.J.Swinney and a nice photo of Risley in his workshop ..."The Risley family has retained six guns of family significance" from the auction. (Most of his collection was comprised of high quality percussion guns and accessories. ) Unfortunately there is only one image of each of the handful of bolt action rifles "made and marked by M.S. Risley" that might be of interest to you in this catalog. Swinney states that , "Mr Risley did the barrel work and chambering on most early Owen rifles."

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my haste to lessen the burden of moving, I have thrown away probably a ton of paper. Luckily, I decided to hold on to my auction catalog collection.

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

eightbore, tried to PM you, but your box is full. Please PM or email me (in my public profile).
Thanks
Thaine

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan asked me to post some pictures of his Risley 1903.
Here they are the first group of pictures

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the second group

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PhysDoc & Dan
Thanks. I will try to get pictures up of mine in the next couple of days. Eightbore sent me the relevant pages from the Bourne catalog and my stock is a twin to the two listed as done by John Holmes. I find it interesting in that he seems to copy many features and the style of Bob Owen.

Now questions about Dan's rifle. Do my eyes deceive me or is the rear of the cheek piece off the stock? Do you know who the stock maker was? Nice rifle.

Thanks again
Thaine

Edited to add: My apologies,it was William Lowe who sent me the information. Not Eightbore. Thanks again Bill and my bad, shows what happens when I stay up past my bed time.

Last edited by Thaine; 08/09/17 06:05 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine,
No the wood is all attached, it is just a funny reflection. I don't know if Risley made the stock or not and if he didn't I don't know who did but it's most likely post war work. It has Jaeger swivels on the sling which isn't pictured, a Niedner BP and horn forend and PG cap.
Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine, someone other than I sent the catalog pages of the Risley auction. My catalogs are boxed up in anticipation of moving. I'm glad you were able to get the copies.

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore,

Thanks for pointing out my error. It was William Lowe who sent me the information and my apologies to him for screwing that up. Those pictures leave little doubt as to who my stock maker was IMO. Thanks again Bill.

Thaine

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.