March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

David I got the feeling it was just too much hassle for the business.

Borderview is set up with offices on both sides of the border practically in view of each other.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I spoke to a rep from Borderview. Seem like nice folks and knowledable. Base price is reasonable, I just have an issue with 5% of the value up to $5000 then 2% after that, base on what they feel the gun is worth. Value can be some what objective. Adding in packing, shipping, and insurance an the $ add up pretty quick.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You can also use IRUNGUNS.

They are cheaper. $295 and no flat fee. Plus shipping to them and then shipping to your FFL in the US.

I've used both. I prefer Borderview.

GR, is your friend located an easy drive from a border crossing. Are you driving up or using some other transportation method. If no to either of these questions, costs will add up fast if you try to do it yourself.

A key stumbling block is you don't have a Canadian possession and acquisition licence (PAL) so you can't touch the gun until it's across the border.

You need to contact ATF and apply now to get import permits 2 months from now. Your friend needs to drive the gun to the border. He better be licensed to possess it in Canada. You need to be in a car on the other side of the border waiting to take delivery of the gun from him. You all need to meet under the watchful eye of US customs, show documentation and transfer ownership.

How much is your time worth. How much is your buddy's time worth. How much will you both have to pay in gas to get to the border. It adds up fast.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/28/17 12:59 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obtaining a Canadian PAL is time consuming. I have had one for years. There is also a temporary gun permit that hunters can get for a trip North. It is usually issued in conjunction with bringing a gun into the Country, but might suffice in your case to take possession of your friend's gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a pity you aren't bringing it in from Mexico. That direction could be hand delivered for almost nothing. Those of us, slightly older than most, have a problem figuring out how things got so complex and expensive to do after 1968 and 9/11. Every time we got more careful about who does what the price for doing things just goes up and up. I long for those old ten cent Cokes and easy buying of guns. Those days are long gone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought two guns from Canada. Both were originally from the u.s.. both took a long time. Use a pro service or forget it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes I will probably use a professional service. I just need now to determine which service to use. I don't mind paying a fair price for good service but I don't want to pay more than what's fair either. If I was driving I would do this myself. I have brought guns into Mexico and helped friends from Mexico brings guns into the US for hunting. Zero issues legally taking guns and ammunition into Mexico and paperwork on both sides took less than an hour. Used form 6 to bring guns into the US and again my experience with getting the permits was smooth and every time took less than 6 weeks.
That's why I struggle to understand why it could possibly be that hard to bring a shotgun in from Canada.
Next call will be to Irunguns to understand the full cost to bring a shotgun in if I use them.
If you know of other companies that would be great.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For all intents and purposes it's a choice between the two companies mentioned here. I export to the US regularly. I've looked. These are both reputable companies who will do a good job. Expect a time frame of 3 months or so.

There are cheaper and faster ways to do it. They aren't legal and your country will not look favourably on you if they find out.

Bringing a gun in (either direction) for hunting, as per your Mexican experience, is an entirely different matter.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/29/17 09:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.