April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, arrieta2, SKB, Southern Sport, Perry M. Kissam, 1 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,844
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#486429 07/25/17 12:03 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Trying to see what can be done with an 1894 Elsie barn find that's rusted shut. Good wood, 32" damascus, Grade 2. Parts of coming off ok with some Kroil and gentle coaxing, except for the top tang screw and trigger guard screw. If the wood can be removed without damaging it, it will turn out nice, bit the trigger guard's got to come off for that to happen. So far Kroil and heat. Any suggestions beyond repeated use of those two things?

Thanks.

Bill Graham #486438 07/25/17 06:42 AM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

drill press or mill works best for me. Chuck up a bit and use the quill to keep downward pressure so it does not walk out. I have never had decent luck with penetrating oil on screws rusted into wood. They seem to become one with the wood around them and when removed you end up plugging the wood and making new screws. I just did two in a vintage British muzzleloader that had rusted into the stock over the last 150 plus years. I ended up having to mill out one of those because the rusted screw broke off. Best of luck.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Bill Graham #486443 07/25/17 06:57 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A soldering iron held to the screw will increase capillary action to get lubricant to suck down into the screws.

When I work on old things that are super corroded, heating and soaking are just part of getting things apart.

You may end up suspending the entire shotgun, wood above the electrolyte, vertically in an electrolytic bath for a week or more at low current.

If there is one thing I could say with fervor,

HASTE MAKES WASTE

So, go slow.

There are plenty of examples of rusted old guns being de-rusted, disassembled, and refurbished.

Out there doing it best I can.
Bill Graham #486445 07/25/17 07:29 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. It would help if I used the right terms. I did have some trouble getting the buttplate screws out of the stock, but they came out eventually. No trouble with screws in wood. The big trigger plate screw is the bear.

The gun has potential, and I'll try to improve my patience skills.

Bill Graham #486452 07/25/17 09:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not patient.

So, in an effort to overcome my natural inclinations, I built a procedure that I never vary from, for disassembling old stuff.

I force myself to do these steps in order, on every disassembly.

YMMV of course.

1) I take a nylon brush to the bolt or screw, and get the crud off it.
2) I look to see what kind of fastener it is.
I take a welders pick, and carefully scratch all the crud out of the slot, staying away from the top edge of the slot.
3) I fit a bit to the slot, both for thickness and width.
I want full bearing across the slot.
Quite commonly I grind a bit of proper thickness to proper width. Costs about a quarter.

4) I tap the bit into the slot with a small hammer.
This is to break the microscopic corrosion within the threads.
5) I add a penetrant drop to the screw.

6) Now I TIGHTEN the screw a tiny amount.
7) Now I begin (with plenty of downward pressure) often using my drill press to do so, to work the screw back and forth until it will back out completely.

If I cannot feel any movement at step 6 or 7, I heat the screw head with a soldering iron. (Lock plate or firing pin screws)
On a hand pin, I may heat the tip that goes through the top strap.

Every bit of that is an internal struggle.

But, breaking off a tiny screw, down in a hole, within a 100 year old gun, quintuples the amount of time required to remove the screw, let alone make a new one.

As I said, HASTE MAKES WASTE

and it is frustrating being afraid of breaking off a screw, and having to heat/soak, heat/soak, 4-5 times to get one to budge.

As I said, it is a struggle against my inclination.
And, making myself go against my own grain, is an exercise in self control that I reap other benefits from.

Bill Graham #486453 07/25/17 09:46 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hear you, Sir. Same inclinations, and same pursuit to grow. What's helping me this time is that the wood will be excellent if it comes off unbroken. Once that happens, the rest will be soaked in a can of Kroil until the barrel and frame want to separate from each other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clapper Zapper's advice is excellent. In addition I sometimes make a bit to fit the screw an impact driver( the type used with a hammer) and "shock" the screw both ways. This should be next to last resort, before drilling it out. Extreme care must be used, because these devices can generate enough force to destroy the screw.
Mike

Bill Graham #486469 07/25/17 01:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

would be nice to see a picture of it B4 its destroyed..... whistle

gunut
Bill Graham #486470 07/25/17 01:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm assuming the screw that is giving you problems is a machine screw threaded into the action, and not a wood screw. As you have been previously advised, patience is the single most important tool you have for removing a stuck screw without damage.

All of the advice about using a perfectly fitted screwdriver bit, soldering iron for heat, use of a drill press or mill for perfectly straight downward pressure, and the impact driver as a last resort before drilling out, etc. is all correct. But I've said it before and will say it again... there are much better penetrating oils than Kroil out there. Kroil has let me down many times, and I have found that even with prolonged multi-day soaks on screws that aren't severely rusted, it doesn't penetrate very far down into the threads. The people who think Kroil is the best are living very sheltered lives. I still use Kroil because I have over a gallon of it, but only for stuff that isn't bad, or as an assembly lube. I have no less than 20 different brands of penetrating oils in my shop right now. I went a little overboard attempting to find a good replacement for Cabot's Tasgon, which is no longer produced because it contained creosote. I still haven't found anything to equal it, and I have about a quart that has to last the rest of my life. I found a full unopened pint of Tasgon at a car parts swap meet a couple years ago, and it made my whole day. I've had good results with Burlite, Zep 45, and Mouse Milk. I also like the home brew of 50% ATF and 50% acetone, but it has to be frequently reapplied because the acetone evaporates quickly. Another one that has worked well for me on small fine thread screws is pure Oil of Wintergreen.

But that patience thing is the most important if you are not a gunsmith who needs to get a gun repaired and returned to the customer in a week. Even with my last resort Tasgon, I have soaked and reapplied for as much as 6 months, and then the stubborn screw suddenly broke free and came right out. Wrapping a part with Saran Wrap often helps to keep your penetrating oil from evaporating during prolonged soaks. It helps to have a lot of other projects to work on so that you aren't tempted to apply too much force or start drilling. And if you ever find a can of this stuff at a flea market or garage sale, buy it!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Bill Graham #486471 07/25/17 01:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A chunk of toilet ring works great too. The ingredients evidently have plenty of capillary action when liquid.

I'm working on a screw, down in a hole, today, 1/8" across, that hasn't been removed since 1920. If ever. Heat and tap Heat and tap heat and tap.

Oddly, I've passed on plenty of old barn guns in the past. I wonder whatever happens to them. Crusty brown things. Chicken coops are the worst. I specifically remember a 32-20 Winchester one time. Oh well, I don't want them alll anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.