March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
....The edges of that pattern are pretty sketchy. That's a pretty "hot core"....

Is this the same load as the first pattern on page one? I think Dave, that Stan has a point. I didn't count marks in the picture, but it's probably a 50% pattern. Then, out at 40 yards there would probably be some stringing. I'm not picking on your pattern, just conversation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Same load. This last one was shot through a .025 (IM) choke at 35 yards. The first pattern was at 40 yards through a .020 choke.

Perfect patterns are hard to find, but this last one is more than 50% (at that range). that said, I'd like to see a more even distribution.

I'm curious to see how those older Federal Premium 6's pattern. That's my next mission. smile

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson

Here's the RST "Pheasant Load".. hard #5's @ 1200 fps at 35 yards. It would take a tough bird to run after getting nailed. I think this pattern would hang together out to 45 yards. 2nd barrel load.

Stan, I'll shoot a couple at 45 yards with the same gun and choke next time out. I'm curious, too.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
....I'm curious to see how those older Federal Premium 6's pattern. That's my next mission. smile

Just for fun, I'd also try an ounce of #6 at 1200fps. Who knows, for only giving up 20fps, you may like the pattern and usable count better. Hope those Federals work out just fine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is really eye opening to shoot patterns at over 40 yards. I have patterned my regular sporting clays load, 1 1/8 oz. at 1180 fps, at 45 yards and walked away scratching my head at how inadequate it looked. Yet, I run stations with 45 yard birds all the time ....... 4 for 4. Last two rounds I shot the course had been reset by a member who wanted to toughen it up a bit. Station 2 had a bird that was launched from the far side of about a three acre pond, very high, and landed in the pond at 50 yards. It had to be broken near the top, while it was above the trees and had a blue sky background, which put it at somewhere around 60 yards at the break point. I shoot two fixed .020" chokes, and it broke every time I got the lead right, 2 out of 3.

Could it have slipped through a hole in the pattern at 60 yards? I have no doubt. But, it is amazing how often it doesn't. When you get the lead right, it's usually a dead bird.

I know that sounds self-contradictory, but I still strive for the absolute best patterns I can deliver.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/27/17 08:29 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's sort of my point. Here's that first RST 1 1/4 oz. 5 shot pattern shot through a .020 choke standing at 41 yards. There are not many 5's in 1 1/4 oz, and most of them are in the 30" circle. I'm definitely going to be comfortable shooting this load at 40-45 yard pheasants. I'd rather take them all with my open barrel much closer, and the vast majority will be taken within 30 yards, but I like what I see with these if I have to touch one off at long range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We talk about the negative aspects of shot string, but a 3 dimensional pattern is probably the reason those clays break when the lead is right. The pattern board can't capture this aspect of a shot pattern. Just food for thought. Great discussion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There may be something to that, jb. The pattern we see cannot be the same as what the clay "sees" as it moves through the shot string, for a crosser, that is. However, for a straight away and for a straight on, it's very accurate.

You know, on second thought, that may be the very reason that straight aways are so easy to miss if you are even the tiniest bit off the edge of the bird. I have wondered for many years why you have to be so precise when you are shooting a straight away bird. It seems to be contrary to the lack of precision necessary when establishing lead on a crosser. The movement of the bird through the shot string, on a crosser, may just be the reason. It may help to negate the empty "pockets" we see on a two dimensional pattern.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 07/27/17 08:32 PM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig, you made me do it! I counted the pellets and there are 178 strikes in the 30" circle. A 1 1/4 load of 5's normally has about 213 pellets. When I bought these I contacted RST and they confirmed they use hard shot, so going with the 178/213 strikes it comes out to be an 84% pattern at 40 yards. That's pretty good performance out of a modified choke! Maybe RST will read this and send me another flat.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sorry about that Dave. I quick ballparked it at a good bit less, and noticed the flyers seem to be long gone by the time they get to your 40yd circle.

Western Wisconsin eh? There was a time that the grouse were pretty good east of La Crosse and around the Ft. McCoy area. My favorite part of deer camp was heading out midday for birds when things quieted down from all the restless deer hunters. I can't recall much pheasant though, but it's been a bit.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.