March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the case crushes when I use the .373 expander and try to put the jacketed .375 in it. No way it's going in the case. Most of my reloading dies are larger than the .375 so I'll have to get a new one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike - I have been making these cases from Hornady .405 Win with no issues. They need trimming to length, and the rim diameter has to be reduced, as does the thickness (I make it suit my rifle). The Hornady brass is a little thicker than Bertram, and yields a minimal clearance in my rifle's chamber.

I'm not sure what is the cause of the case crushing, I use a .373 expander also, and the Hornady jacketed bullets seat with no trouble. I flare the case mouth to seat cast bullets.

My rifle looks like it was made in the same batch as the one you have, except it has the 320 grain proof. She is a shooter!

Is your barrel left hand twist?

PM me if you'd like to see my loads.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mike Harrell,
I suggest you chamfer the inside of the case mouths and slightly bell them, your trouble with crushing the cases should go away, if you are careful in starting them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

If you are having to reduce rim thickness for your rifle, you might want to look at the Jamison/CapTech 35 Winchester cases. The rim is thinner than the 405, but same basic case. Its a problem we run into when forming 35W cases from 405s for some guns.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the 35 Winchester case is a little short for this job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, you are correct, my bad. It would be close after expanding the neck, but not perfect. I keyed off the rim thickness and forgot the overall length was .085 short before forming.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Cases being .085 short shouldn't hurt much, if you have a neck left. Just seat bullets to same oal.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since it was reblued poorly I'm going to have it redone correctly. Anyone know of an engraver that would be interested in redoing the "Shot and regulated by H&H with address" on the barrel? Want to have that redone first.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mike Harrel,
More than the bluing, the polishing was poorly done. To straighten the polishing out will require hand polishing, including file work in certain places to correct rounded off edges and corners, etc. Turnbull specializes in this type work, but there are others that can do a nice polish and rust blue job.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 07/23/17 11:17 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
....To straighten the polishing out will require hand polishing, including file work in certain places to correct rounded off edges and corners, etc....

Since it came up, I think Der Ami is right. To do things correctly, I think it'd be quite a job. I think that rifle would have stories to tell if it could. I'd think it could be up and shooting again with the same feel and handling like from some time long gone, just not likely look quite the same. From this point on, it could be cared for to preserve what's left of the original markings, and be a shooter. I think prioritizing the H&H markings would be incidental to all else that might be done in a quality rehab. Here's hoping you can figure out the right bit for you. I for one would love to shoot the rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.