March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a buttstock blank that's been in storage for over 25 years. In that time its developed a "bow" off of true straight. I wanted to get a look at the grain to see if I want to use it or go to another blank.
I've sanded off a few thousands to get past the surface oxidation(?)/black buildup and saw marks to wet the surface and see what's underneath. During that process I discovered it's developed an approx 1/8" bow along the overall 18" length during storage.
The initial thickness is 2", and I'd need to remove about 1/8th -3/16 to get back to a flat underside. There's enough wood left to make the stock, but that's not my question.
Does this "bow" somehow effect the suitability of the wood so that the grain will not lie straight in the finished stock? Should this blank go into the handgun stocks/knife scales pile?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YVKFElml.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by Bruce in WV; 07/18/17 10:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just a hobbyist.
There are plenty of pro's here about's.

The reason we let blanks age in our climate is so that they do all that moving before we put 200 hours into one. I stop at about 3-4 places during roughing and wait to see.

Can you integrate the bow into your cast measurements?

I find 8/4 rough sawn to be too thin for 12 gauge usually. Guns got fatter over the years it seems.

At the price of blanks these days, if I had a good one, dried for 25 years, I'd be hard pressed not to use it.

Just my 2 cents.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the advice Clapper Zapper gave you is sound. After 25 years of seasoning, your blank should be quite stable, and any slight bow in the grain would be less than you'd often find in a blank with any figure at all. The overall layout of the grain in the blank, particularly at the head and wrist, is much more important, and your pic doesn't show us how suitable it is for a gun stock.

I had some locally grown English Walnut sawn up last fall into 2 5/8" thick slabs. A band-saw mill was used, so the surface is pretty smooth. Some people recommend 3" thick, or even more, but I think that leaves a lot of chips on the floor, and might even get you into wood with less figure. 2" thick is getting about minimum for most guns, and doesn't leave much to work with. But I have a Hamilton Model 27 .22 rifle on my project list that could easily be stocked with a good 1" thick blank. And 2" would be more than enough for a Marlin Model 37 pump .22 with a broken buttstock I recently picked up for cheap.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe you can use it for a tip up, rolling block, or falling block boy's rifle, for a grandson.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bruce in WV
....Does this "bow" somehow effect the suitability of the wood so that the grain will not lie straight in the finished stock?....

I would go with the thought that the blank was originally sawn straight. It didn't grow that way. The chance that a blank was sawn from the log for best grain layout may be luck at best. Maybe, you can check the edge grain to estimate if the grain will run off of the finished stock in a way that you would rather it not do, but if so, it was probably already cut that way.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's the blank, 3.5x6.75x18x2

It looks likes there's plenty of meat to work with for the 28ga I have in mind.

...and a full length image of the "bow"

Last edited by Bruce in WV; 07/17/17 09:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Grain flow is less than ideal for anything other than a drawbolt gun with a short wrist.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dudley is right. The straighter the wrist grain the better and no side to side direction change in the wrist at all.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the expert opinions. I'll find other wood for my project.

Moved to sales page to help fund new wood.

Last edited by Bruce in WV; 07/18/17 10:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What bow! shorten it from the front, I just checked a Parker and K-80 stock and at most 16.5 is required. The farther back you trim the better the wrist grain gets. A touch of cast off will remove the bow and more.

bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.