March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#485551 07/12/17 11:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Feeling great about success today about gettting my Field SLE project back on face by TIG welding, smoking, and filing. I've failed at that task before, so I guess I learned from it.

The weld cooled slowly, and I'm wondering if it needs to be hardened. If so, how do you heat it but not compromise the solder, etc.? If not, thanks for reading the post nonetheless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not a viable thing to undertake hardening the barrel hook, much to much heat needed. The hook is filed up to return the barrels on face and then left as is, then the wear process will start again then in time the whole process will have to be repeated.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for confirming what I thought was the case, yet I wanted to check here for a trade secret I was perhaps unaware of. I'd done this repair before on another gun, when less skilled and experienced, so am thankful this one worked out so well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hooks do not get hardened.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt if very many people either live long enough, or shoot a particular gun enough to wear out a hook a second time. Keeping the wearing surfaces clean and lubricated should be more than sufficient.

You can go to the main double gun forum and start another thread asking for recommendations on the best hinge pin lube. That's always been a crowd pleaser! smile

Seriously, a wee dab of any old synthetic grease is all you need. Grease stays put better than oil. Clean and replace it under dirty or dusty conditions before it becomes an abrasive paste.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I stirred the pot elsewhere asking an honest question about why Fox didn't elect to offer anything with damascus, when Parker, Smith, Lefever, and others were at the time. Folks got all riled up about it, debating the evils of damascus. That wasn't even my question. The question was pertaining to the business decision. So, I'll stay away from The Great Lube Debate.

I generally end up with long neglected and abused guns. My former rejoining experience was with a Parker. I learned a great deal, and bought too many roll joints. Thankfully I learned enough so that when the Field came along and needed the same work, it went well this time. Proud of the work, and would prefer to be able to buy something unbroken for a change, but it's ended well and that's good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a look back in to my dim past. At the very start of my first Engineering course at collage we where all given a piece of black mild steel 11/2 inches thick by 2 by 2 inches with the instruction to file it flat and square on all sides. We where given a year to accomplish this task, though not one person managed to do it using hand tools though a lot of us came close. One bright spark gave a piece of steel the same size to his Farther who was a tool maker and he put it on a surface grinder with a perfect result.
I only mention this because as old school as it is it gave me the insight of how to file flat and straight, a skill worth its weight in Gold!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same test as my late Granddad passed- then opened his own machine shop in the Queen City just prior to the outbreak of WW1 in Europe. Filing rough (Hot rolled steel) mild steel into a perfect cube with just files and a try square and a solid vise is an art not known today, modern milling machines, surface grinders and CAD-CAM have archived that skill- but any good gunsmith will have a large array of files and know how to use them properly.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/16/17 10:21 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Graham
I stirred the pot elsewhere asking an honest question about why Fox didn't elect to offer anything with damascus, when Parker, Smith, Lefever, and others were at the time. Folks got all riled up about it, debating the evils of damascus. That wasn't even my question. The question was pertaining to the business decision. So, I'll stay away from The Great Lube Debate.

I generally end up with long neglected and abused guns. My former rejoining experience was with a Parker. I learned a great deal, and bought too many roll joints. Thankfully I learned enough so that when the Field came along and needed the same work, it went well this time. Proud of the work, and would prefer to be able to buy something unbroken for a change, but it's ended well and that's good.

On that topic it is simply a matter of timing. Fox was one of the last to the game in the american double gun market getting its start around the end of the first decade of the 20th century. By this time, fluid steel barrels were becoming more and more common.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Originally Posted By: B. Graham

On that topic it is simply a matter of timing. Fox was one of the last to the game in the american double gun market getting its start around the end of the first decade of the 20th century. By this time, fluid steel barrels were becoming more and more common.

Thanks. Makes sense. I would have expected some use of damascus on higher grade guns perhaps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NO .

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, to clarify, if a welded hook gun shoots loose not long after it is welded, that is because it wasn't filed correctly, and not because it wasn't hardened, is that correct?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fit of the bolt is also important. I have a Husky hammer gun that could be put back on face and shoot loose in less than a season. After putting it on face and having the bolt fit correctly it is still tight after 3 seasons with a high round count.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.