March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bonny
Lovely wood on that rifle Dick, really sets it off.

I was very lucky. A good friend offered me this wood at the price he bought it for years ago. It's Turkish Circassian. He had always intended to make a gun and never did. I couldn't have afforded to pay what it's worth today.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall
I switched to Imgur also Dick. Photocrapbucket has given all users the same thing now. They want $400 a year now to host pictures that will be used elsewhere. Wish I could download all my PB pics, but no luck trying to do so yet.

That's the first thing I thought when I switched to Imgur. However, all my PB pics are stored in my Mac plus a qazzillian more. I can simply drag any that I want to put on Imgur.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Speaking of nice wood... This was my project gun before I started the Ruger. Again, I got the blank from a friend who had it for years and never did anything with it.

The gun is a CZ 452 American in 17 HMR. I immediately started accurizing it when I got it, intending to shoot it in local rimfire matches. There's a small tuner of my design on the barrel.

I kept fiddling with it and shooting it till I finally decided to stock it. This pic shows the results.

FWIW I shot it in a local 50 yd. rimfire BR match a week or so ago and won the match.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have the same gun Dick, but still original. Had hoped to use it as a mid range varmint gun, but it mostly sits since I purchased it many years ago. Sighted it in and it's very accurate. Just don't seem to get out varmint hunting like I did in years past.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was the CZ when it was mostly original. I took this in my front yard one fall. Note the tuner on the barrel. Years of rimfire benchrest competition taught me that a tuner is the only way to go for maximum accuracy.

At that time I was writing for Precision Shooting. I took this pic hoping it would be on the cover. Unfortunately they went out of business before I could get it in to the editor.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 07/30/17 07:32 AM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is the other side of the Ruger.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For the more technically inclined, I have now been shooting the gun for a while with mostly bad results. but... they are getting better every time. However, I have found that it is very accurate with Isreali 2015 which was only made in 1990 and 1991. Good news since I have a good supply left from my serious benchrest competition days. I have found that, if I jump the bullets .020" rather than jam them hard into the lands, my accuracy improves a lot.

I also screwed up mounting the scope and, after being coached by a former Unertl employee, have solved that problem. The gun now shoots quite a bit better than No. 1's are supposed to.

Due to health problems and advanced old age I can't shoot as well as I once could. However, practice can partially solve that. I'm now happy to go to a match and be, at least, a little competitive. I've been shooting competition since I got out of college and just like going to matches.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 08/17/17 06:52 PM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

How did you screw up mounting that scope? They seem pretty easy to mount, but maybe I need to learn something.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, me also, want to learn
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took the scope off and found a few small burrs on the front base. I used a fine file to remove them and carefully stoned that area to get it real smooth. The scope was loose on the front base when I took it off. Either it shot loose or I didn't tighten it enough. With those fine threads I'm kinda chicken.

The Unertl guy told me to use a quarter in tightening the scope on the base. Then it would be tight enough to stay put. I did so and it seemed more snug than before. The next match the scope worked perfectly and the POI didn't jump all over the target. It was just minor things but correcting them made a big difference.

Now I need to practice enough to be able to shoot more like I once could. I have a good 50 and 100 yd. range just outside my office. The neighbors are going to hear shooting till I am more satisfied.

Dick Wright
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.