April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, CJ Dawe, RWG, Jerry G, 2 invisible), 489 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,070
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Recently I was browsing through a book on Shotguns by a widely known modern Writer. He did amazingly have a section on doubles. In this section he stated the "Fact" that L C Smith was the "Only" US maker of sidelock doubles. Wish I had a dollar for every time I have read this.
One simply wonders what type of action those Baker, Meriden/A J Aubrey, Crescent as well as another obscure brand or so had.

I just read another "Fact" in a book I have checked out of my local library. The author of this book is one well known here & highly esteemed by at least most all I believe including myself. Though I have never met him in person he does seem to have a vast knowledge of shotguns, doubles in particular. The fact here stated is this;
"Interestingly, it is a little known fact that the 28 bore produces the best, most even, patterns of any of the popular shotgun sizes."

I have seen this "Magic" of the 28 alluded to on several occasions but have yet to see an explanation of just what makes a .550" diameter bore better than any other size. I also have yet to see anyone show patterns of at least a 16 field layout showing the more evenness of the 28 in comparison to the other gauges.

Incidentally should the author of this book happen to browse here & recognize this as their writing I totally & thoroughly enjoyed the entire rest of the book & found it very knowledgeable & informative.
I just ain't buying this so called Magic of the 28 against any other standard boring of a shotgun except possibly the .410".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28 is the Magic shot shell theory, not unlike the single bullet theory of my youth.

Another maker you missed was Crescent Arms type guns made in the US under a hundred different names. Barrels were sourced from Belgium just like Smith and just about everyone else. Another one I like was Union Arms doubles with side plates and a Lefever type ball and socket hinge joint. They only made a small number of them and I foolishly passed on a decent shape 20 bore about five years ago. Might spend the next decade waiting for the next. Only other American maker I've seen use the ball and socket joint like Lefever.

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon;
I just intended for the Crescent name to include all those made by them regardless of name. My only Crescent is labeled as American Gun Co, but doesn't really apply as it is a hammer model. The author was I believe referring only to hammerless guns.
I have seen reference to a Waverly with the Lefever ball & socket hinge joint. As I recall there was a connection between Waverly & the defunct D M Lefever Co of Ohio after they closed shop.
The patent on this hinge was issued Sept 12, 1882. Unless Lefever was able to secure an extension on this patent, which I doubt, it would have expired in 1896.
Was the Union Arms a true sidelock or was it more like the Lefever in that aspect having side plates but neither a true sidelock nor yet just dummy plates.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry 2-piper I skimmed right over your Crescent maker citation. Honestly they might have made more Crescent labeled guns than all the rest, Smith, Fox, Parker ect.... combined

I have been told one of Lefevers sons, C. F. I think, ended up at Toledo Ohio for a time which is where the Union Arms connection was but have no proof of it. He might have stayed at the Defiance Ohio plant after Lefever left for Bowling Green. I suspect he might have shown up with a few unfinished frames and quickly used them up in the process.

That gun I saw was last seen in 2008. It was made in Defiance, Ohio USA.

Last edited by KY Jon; 07/03/17 09:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best work British game guns are better handling than any American gun.

Re: 28 gauge. I had a 4# 11oz O/U double fire (true double) with 3/4 oz 1200 fps loads. That becomes 1 1/2 oz at 1200 fps out of 4# 11 oz. Shall we say uncomfortable?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

"A Shotgun is the best home protection gun because you don't have to worry about aiming."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVJVaxrxWo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Bob Brister may have said something similar concerning the magic (or maybe he said mystery) of why the 28 patterns so well with its standard 3/4 oz load. Along with, I believe, why the old super pigeon load--1 1/4 oz shot, 3 1/4 DE--also patterns so well.

Jack O'Connor, in his "Shotgun Book", said that LC Smith didn't make any .410's. And Jack was around when Elsies were still being made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahh the number of times I have seen "facts" quoted on these forums from books by people who never worked in the gun trade , written to publicize their own product or viewpoint or have gained their knowledge from others books .Frequently based on previous work so compounding errors .

Sidelock
Sidelock

While Bob Brister never worked in the gun trade, I expect he may have fired more shots at moving pattern targets than pretty much anyone.

Most writers don't have "their own product" to promote. And rumors to the contrary, are not given guns as gifts by manufacturers or importers in return for some positive press. Most of the time, we can buy the gun we're sent for field test and review at a fairly attractive price . . . but it's a long ways from free.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone care to revisit 'wad retardation'?

That's another 'well known' fact that has no basis in reality.

Except of course as it applies to a shell loaded without powder.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.