April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hal M Hare, 12boreman, Steve Nash, eeb, 1 invisible), 976 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Marcus,
With its build date of early 1911, it's probably a bit of a corporate transition gun. As you may know, old Ted (E.J. Churchill) passed away 16 November 1910, and the running company was then taken over by his nephew Robert Churchill. During this time, (according to the 1906 and 1914 price lists) they went from simply listing their better guns as "best-quality hammerless sidelock ejector" at 70 and "best-quality Anson & Deeley ejector" at 60, to the range of model names that we are familiar with now, in particular the "Hercules finest-quality Anson & Deeley ejector" at 50guineas.
If it has the EJC monogram, and the rest of what you describe, I would think that it would have been bought, and built as one of the previously described "best -quality" A&D ejectors.
Just FYI, the description in the catalog I have (circa mid to late teens) reads;
" The 'Hercules' model, finest quality. This gun is made on the Anson & Deeley" principle (without side locks), of modest appearance, built for strength and solidity. All other particulars as the "premier" model.
Price per gun ... ... 50 guineas. "
If you can post some pictures, it would be of great help.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roalco, I really appreciate the information as the Churchill book, as thorough as it is in most respects, doesn't talk about the early models much at all. I did notice that short barrel guns don't seem to be too common in the pre-WWI Churchills.I will post some pics ,but I have sent the gun to Ken Eversull to have it put back on face.It is probably off .001-.002 and toplever is at the end of its travel. Strangely enough, the hinge is tight, and the gun has all of its original wood and metal finish,but it must have been slammed shut quite a bit to be like it is.I think Mr. Eversull should be able to put it right.The other kind of strange thing about this gun,at least to me, is that both barrels are cylinder.They are both without the 'Choke' marking on the bottom of the tubes ahead of the flats.

Last edited by sandlapper; 06/28/17 01:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Marcus,
Good choice sending it to a proper double gunsmith to get it serviced and put back on face ( a fine Birmingham gunsmith once told me, " A double gun a being just little off face is like being just a little bit pregnant!"). I have two of their early 1930's XXV guns, and they are truly a joy to shoot. Balanced, dynamic and wand-like, if I miss, it's my fault! Do get a copy of one of Bob Churchill's books on game shooting, his ideas on intuitive shooting skills and style work well with their light, shorter barrelled guns. Don't worry about the lack of choke, shoot light loads, as the lack of pellet deformation leading to "flyers" will mostly make up for it. There is too much blame put on guns, chokes, loads etc, for missed birds, most of it is just caused by poor shooting skills. Bad form for a craftsman to blame his tools.
It's a fine gun, from a fine maker, treat it well, cherish it, and shoot it as it was meant to be shot! Enjoy!

Last edited by Roalco; 06/28/17 11:43 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roalco, Thanks for the info on the catalog offerings. Apparently, they did not call the boxlock a model name early on, just an A & D boxlock. Would you be willing to photocopy your catalog for me ? I'd be happy to pay you for your trouble. You are right about the balance of their guns; this one handles beautifully. I would love to see what a 20 ga. sidelock would feel like. Regards, Marcus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marcus, PM sent.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.