March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Owenjj3, SKB, Philbert, dukxdog, Marc Ret), 842 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just bought a Louis Christophe double rifle built by Jules Bury in .450 BP Express. It is a nicely engraved coin finish scalloped boxlock with double underlug and Greener crossbolt. It has sideclips and an Anson forend release. Barrels are 24.5" long. It came from an estate, and unfortunately, the seller had virtually no information on the history or the regulation load. He said he thought it looked unfired to him, and now that I have received it, I think he may be right. At most, it has only been fired a few times. There is no sign of wear on the hook or pin, and there is hardly any sign of contact from the extractor rubbing against the breech face. There are a few very minor dents in the stock, which I believe is French Walnut with nice figure and fiddleback.

From my own research, I think it was probably built around 1920-1925. It has JB under a crown on the water table indicating it was built by Jules Bury for Louis Christophe, a high end Brussels sporting goods retailer. It is proofed for black powder. I have not yet deciphered the one mark between the provisional proof mark, and the R under crown Rifle proof mark. I don't know if it is a date code or an inspectors I.D. mark that may help me narrow down the date.

Here's a couple views of the engraving and the interesting rib matting. I think it looks like some of Jules Schoffeniels work, but I can't find anyplace where the engraver signed or initialed it.

I'm interested in any thoughts about the age, engraver, etc. I am also interested in the best sources for brass and loading dies, and suggestions for loads to begin the regulation process. It isn't marked as to whether it is intended for lead or jacketed bullets. This one may have been a safe queen, but I plan to use it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Congratulations on a very fine double. You are sure to find many knowledgeable people on this and other double rifle forums to help with load data and components.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle in like-new condition.
The barrels look to be modern steel and if so, you may well be able to use modern smokeless powders in the rifle.
The action strongly resembles that of my coin finish Simson Suhl with the exception that the Simson has cocking indicators.

There may be information to be had by also placing this post on the German Gun Collectors site http://germanguns.com/ .

Enjoy it and let us know how it shoots!

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, beautiful rifle!!

I'm sure you know of it but in case you don't, you might get on the Nitro Express forums. A little more "rifle" dedicated crew over there.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith you have a truly beautiful BLE,

Your gun's receiver is similar to a Christophe BLNE (not marked JB) and another BLE marked JB. Your gun's proof marks are similar to those on my Christophe SLE (to include the AD under the date stamp) and my Jules Bury marked(non branded DR)

As promised some pictures and notes on my Christophe Bury Double Rifles.

I note I am the worse photographer going and much of what I tried to capture is not that great.

The First Double Rifle is a 1926 best quality side-lock ejector 10,75x52 Springer Double Rifle. Game scene and Scroll coverage signed by noted Liege engraver Schoffeniels. Hidden 3rd fastener on a triple bite Purdy bolt system, articulated trigger, carved fences, grayed Holland and Holland bar action side-locks with gold plated lock parts, bushed firing pins. Stamped JB under crown for Jules Bury on action. It is marked Louis Christophe of Brussels on the bottom of the receiver

The Second Double Rifle is a BLNE 10,75x52 Double Rifle Grundig. It is engraved with 40% coverage Scroll and the engraving is unsigned. It is not stamped by the actual maker. It is marked Louis Christophe of Brussels on the bottom of the receiver. It was heavily used and I have since had the checkering recut and wood refinished.

The Third Double Rifle is a circa 1928 BLE chambered in 350 Griffin and Howe. It has 60% coverage scroll and the engraving is unsigned. Hidden 3rd fastener on a triple bite Purdy bolt system, articulated trigger. Stamped JB under crown for Jules Bury on action. It is not marked by a seller on the bottom of the receiver or rib.

Reference the identity of your gun's engraver. You gun's engraving is unquestionably good quality. I really can't say anything for sure if it is or not. Schoffeniels seems only to have signed his best work (I have four signed SLE best guns)

In emails with Schoffeniels grandson I saw examples of layouts for midgrade guns, so it is sure he did some, but I can't begin to speculate on how many. His grandson told me that his grandfather was a factory worker by day and engraved standing up in a garden shed in his backyard.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/05/17 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling and additions

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgot to include a side picture of the third DR, the J Bury made 350 G&H DR

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who replied so far. You have some nice guns there Old Colonel. I know I'll have some questions when I have time to study the pictures closely. I do see a similarity to the engraving on my gun to the scroll engraving on your BLNE 10,75 x 52 Grundig double rifle.

Not being at all familiar with these Christophe guns when I stumbled into the one I bought, I had to do some pretty quick research before I decided to pull the trigger on purchasing it. I went under the assumption that it might have been at least partially refinished, and was a bit concerned about the bluing. It looked too good for a gun of its' age, and I thought the barrel flats maybe would have originally been stoned or polished bright after bluing. I'm pleased to see that the barrel flats of your guns are similarly blued, and upon receipt and inspection of mine, I could tell that it was the original rust bluing.

I see the pictures I posted have disappeared with the crash of jpgbox, so I'll have to try to put them back up if the problem doesn't resolve itself.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, Thursday morning at 8:15 and I can still see your photos just fine. OC, those are also some fine rifles!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will try taking some better pictures of the engraving on the Christophe BLNE tonight when I get home.

I will see about taking a few shots of Schoffeniels engraving on the top levers for comparison.

If your DR has had some refinishing it all looks good and proper.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.