Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Mike , when building his gun room, took into consideration the earthquake possibilities in Anchorage. I often thought of that when I was there.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
In one of the threads about his gun room I asked the question about earthquakes, if they were a problem. His answer was oh yes and he provided a link to the national earthquake center. OMG they happen every day.
He showed in a picture the little swiveled bar that locked the barrels in their spot on the rack.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Small rare earth magnets installed under the felt at the barrel notch work extremely well to hold gun barrels. I have a friend who built his racks this way, and it feels like they're locked in place the first time you start to grab one!
You can get 50 of them for about $12 off Ebay.

Last edited by Vall; 06/20/17 06:59 PM.
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Discussion of earthquakes

This link is the discussion about earthquakes and clearly shows how the safety bar worked

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, yes, earthquakes in Alaska happen every day, multiple times. Big quakes not so often. I was there from 1971 for 30 years and felt many, but none in the Anchorage area like the 1964 quake. I have relatively poor hearing, but the sound of the coming quakes was easy for me to hear. I guess the right frequency, and the dogs heard it too. They trembled. I always had a vision of the guns falling off the racks onto the floor. Thankfully it never happened while I was there. I think Mike built his gun vault in the 80s or 90s, so he never had to test the earthquake design in his room.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a quake like 64, I doubt one really worries about the guns staying upright the racks so much as the walls staying upright on the foundation.

Michael's racks were well thought out and utilitarian first and foremost, but it is a nice looking room too. I wish I could have seen more of his singleshot rifles.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, the 64 quake affected many parts of Anchorage, but many on more solid ground [not clay] remained relatively undamaged. The "shake" of a quake could remove items from shelves, turn over furniture, but leave the structure intact . Especially, if the structures were framed wood construction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never been in a quake but they seem to be sort of like tornadoes. They leave a few things seemingly untouched while things all around are reduced to rubble. I would like to experience a big quake, but not where property damage and life an limb are at stake.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never been in a quake but they seem to be sort of like tornadoes. They leave a few things seemingly untouched while things all around are reduced to rubble. I would like to experience a big quake, but not where property damage and life an limb are at stake.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I lived in Alaska from '84-'93, met and married my last wife there. She was (is) a wee tiny little girl from south Florida so Alaska was a constantly new experience to her. In three months, she enjoyed a hurricane. an earthquake and a volcanic eruption. During the volcanic eruption. while the ash was falling. she stepped outside to see what the ash was which led her to conclude that of the three, she least enjoyed the volcano. You don't have to shampoo repeatedly to get the earthquake and the hurricane out of your hair!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.