April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, Mark Larson), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,120
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired a second take down martini sporting rifle. The new one is a Francotte with a hand detachable action and barrel. It joins a 300 Sherwood Westley Richards that came home five or so years ago. The Francotte is much lighter in the barrel than the WR and appears to be in 22 Hornet. Finish is original. Barrel is 26"+. Definitely a 22 centerfire round that seems to be close to 1.5" long.

Pics from the auction are below. It really looks better in person, although the auction house or the FFL responsible for shipping appears to have lost the cocking indicator that was pictured in the listing.

Anyone else have one of these?

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF,
I couldn't get the photos to open up.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF,
I just saw one of these Francottes, a non-takedown one, last week and had a chance to disassemble and study it. It was a 297/230 Long Morris, had a 25" full octagon barrel (I believe it was cut from 27.5") and has a long wood addition to lengthen the LOP. The cartridge is a center fire that is basically a .22LR ballistically.

I think these Francottes are the best designed miniature Martini that I have personally seen. What is particularly appealing is the action disassembly lever that rotates 180 degrees to expose cuts in the pin that now allow the trigger/action assembly to rotate down around the rear of the action mortise. This tool-less takedown is appealing. Also, instead of the cone at the rear of the trigger/action assembly that mates with the cone in the back of the action the one I examined had a semi-circular transverse cylinder at the back of the action that cuts on the back of the trigger/action assembly mate with allowing the assembly to pivot forward into the action.

I hope I can impose on you to take some photos of the barrel takedown system. I've seen the Greener takedown method of cutting the bottom of the action through the threads and then using a threaded cross pin to squeeze the barrel in place and have a Model 6 and Model 12 BSA actions using the tapered cross pin but it looks like your action uses something different. I am working on a non-takedown Model 12 BSA that I'd like to create some kind of takedown system for.
Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Francotte action takedown is nice because the screw is captive (same for the barrel.) The Westley Richards action takedown uses a screw in the rear of the action, and that unfortunately can be unscrewed simply by removing the rifle from a gun sock...and then the guts fall out. (I know from experience!). But the barrel takedown on the WR is better both because it appears stronger, and it doesn't need a separate screw (just drop the lever and twist the barrel).

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Chris

Last edited by CJF; 06/16/17 09:17 AM.
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have pictures of a Francotte takedown action showing the cocking indicator?

The cocking indicator on my Francotte went missing sometime after the auction house posted the listing pics. I don't know if it walked during the preview or if someone at the shipping dealer was playing around, but it's disappointing, as otherwise the rifle is really nice.

The cocking indicator on the WR Sherwood rifle is different and cannot come out without removing a screw. Pictures to follow.

Last edited by CJF; 06/16/17 09:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF,
I think I would try a BSA cocking indicator. Numrich Arms might have one. If it doesn't fit, maybe it can be modified to fit. BSAs are common enough that maybe you could borrow one to try, before buying one.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 06/16/17 03:39 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris,
Here are some images of cocking indicators for the Francotte I mentioned earlier and one of my Model 12 BSAs. I don't know that they will interchange and I wasn't able to try when I took these images.

It would be extraordinarily lucky to come across an original Francotte part and making one is likely the only option you have.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF:

You might want to do a chamber cast. The rifle could be chambered for one of the .297-230 rounds, which are a centerfire with similar ballistics to the .22 Long Rifle. The cartridge was initially developed as a subcaliber training round for the Martini-Henry rifle, but migrated into rook rifles as well. There were several variations.

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
CJF:

You might want to do a chamber cast. The rifle could be chambered for one of the .297-230 rounds, which are a centerfire with similar ballistics to the .22 Long Rifle. The cartridge was initially developed as a subcaliber training round for the Martini-Henry rifle, but migrated into rook rifles as well. There were several variations.

I may receive a lecture for this, but I tried out the rifle with 22 Hornet ammo. Accuracy was decent (roughly 1" at 30 yards with a rest and my aging eyes). But extraction was terrible. It seemed the chamber was just a tiny bit tight. Cases were a little hard to chamber, very hard to extract, but retained their shape after firing (and then entered and exited with ease.) I'm wondering if more cleaning and perhaps a polish of the chamber is needed.

Remington40x, I've never cast a chamber. What product and method do you recommend?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.