March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, MattH, Mills, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#481903 06/01/17 05:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've owned this No. 1 .243 since the 1970's. Jack Haugh stocked it, did the metal work, engraved and rust blued it sometime later. I've hunted with it since then.

Old age is now preventing me from deer hunting. I still go but can't handle a dead deer and can't shoot anything. I spent a lot of time last fall watching bucks that I couldn't shoot. However, I can still compete in local matches.

It's always had the philosophy that if I can't shoot it, I don't keep it. Being a Haugh rifle, I know this is valuable. I guess I would rather sell it to someone who could use and and convert it into money and buy something I can actually use.

Any comments on it's value and the best way to market it? I have more pictures if there is any interest. FWIW this has a four digit serial number and was made in the "Brownell" era.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 06/02/17 09:35 AM.

Dick Wright
Boxlock
Boxlock

That's a great looking #1. My deer rifle is also a #1, but in .270 that I have had since the 80's. Up here in the UP of Michigan we don't take many long shots, but my Ruger has always been dead on. I also have a #1 in .257 Roberts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any deer would be proud to be shot by your beautiful Ruger! I'm not an authority on custom Rugers, so can't say what it's worth. But selling it here, or on Gunbroker would seem the best option.
Gorgeous rifle!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick, keep hunting with it, your friends will help you bring the deer in, and help you "dress" it. I am in pretty much the same shape as you, and my last two deer were brought back by friends. If you helped others, when you were younger, they should help you now.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
I recently got to look at two Jack Haugh rifles and they are extraordinary. It must be unusual for any one gunmaker to be able to do all of the metal work, the engraving, rust bluing and the stock work to the skill level that is shown on these rifles and it looks like yours is also in that class.

Beautiful rifle. I'd keep it.
Dennis

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's great that you got out into the woods and saw deer. I've never been over worried having to bag something. Maybe, you can get a little hand here and there to keep up the tradition, and it seems like there're some good memories in that rifle. In my mind, I think that it would be pure luck to get what I thought a custom rifle was worth. The last thing I would try not to do is start thinking about how much it would cost to build in today's dollars. Best of luck with it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was really sick a year or so ago and got to thinking about what would happen to my "good stuff" after I was gone. I have four or five rifles and an elderly but extremely well maintained Porsche that mean a great deal to me.

Alas, there's no one in the family that appreciates these things. The logical heir drives a pickup (not a Porsche person) and can't tell a Jerry Fisher rifle from a Ruger. I'd really like to pass them along to someone who appreciates what they are.

I do go deer hunting... just not deer shooting. I have a very comfortable deer blind in a lovely place in the woods. I spend a lot of time before and during season watching the deer rut and enjoying the Michigan autumn. For the last twenty years almost all our venison has been shot by the bloodthirsty creature to whom I am married. She has won at least as many competitive shooting trophies as I have and is a very well qualified deer hunter.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
Good for you and good for your wife. If you have a comfortable place to sit, and a way to get warm; sleep on a deer stand is the best sleep you can have.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Dick,
Good for you and good for your wife. If you have a comfortable place to sit, and a way to get warm; sleep on a deer stand is the best sleep you can have.
Mike

The blinds are very comfy... Good floors so the office chairs we use can move easily. The chairs swivel and rock silently. We have carpet, windows and heaters. I stock mine with that which is necessary for successful hunting... Tom Clancy, a few good cigars... there's always hot coffee... just the basic needs.

Being pretty gimpy, I found a place to park Glorya's VW bug (Our hunting car... My Porsche and two-trackers don't work well together) that is close to my blind last year. It's in thick pines and the deer that can see it just ignore it. I had a buck and a doe walk right by it last fall.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
You sound like a "man after my own heart", mine is pretty much like yours, with a couple exceptions. I learned to carry hot chocolate when I was fighting prostate problems. I could sit 4 1/2 hours w/o getting up( also swivel chair with arms), When my first grandson was born, 23 years ago, I stopped smoking altogether, from a 2 pack a day habit. I go in a Ford Ranger, right up close to the ground blind. Using care when bushhogging can make a close parking place, behind bushes ( now the son of a friend has to do it. There is a nice 150 yd long, but narrow food plot in front( last year, I killed a 17 1/2" 9 pointer there. BTW, a VW Bug makes a very good hunting car. A German Hunter friend had one with the right front seat removed, and he could carry about as much as a mini pick up. Oh, I almost forgot, I used to use gas heaters, but found either a sleeping bag, with arms or wool blanket( depending on temp.) much easier in the long run.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.