April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Roundsworth, Ian Forrester, Researcher, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! If you go with the former Purdey men you can really save some money.

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost for Purdey to have one of their current engravers do the same apttern on a gun today? ~$8500-10,000 US (just a SWAG)?

I know with British single shots, many people think they are over priced. But if you were to have the same engraving pattern reproduced today, it would cost as much as the sales price of the rifle. So basically you buy the engraving and get the rifle for free!!!

Homelss-
If you do a search, there was a thread devoted to the topic of "over the top" wood just a few weeks ago. Both sides give their take on the subject

Last edited by Marc Stokeld; 07/16/07 08:26 AM.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe obviously has misplaced his history reading on Purdey the elder, and his opinion on the wood to be used on Purdey guns.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like my wood and women the same way. Lots-o-figure!

-Shoot Straight, IM

I'll bet you guys who think the wood shows a bit too much "sass" for that staid old Purdey metal work have cloth seats in your Rolls Royce too.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I'll bet you guys who think the wood shows a bit too much "sass" for that staid old Purdey metal work have cloth seats in your Rolls Royce too. "

Poor analogy. Leather is the standard for Rolls Royce; two tone neon leather with angel hair accents is not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two possiblities exist here. One is that classic British understatement is needed for the wood on the gun, or people are jealous.

-Shoot Straight, IM

Thanks for the education Greg. I never would have guessed that Connolly Leather seats were standard on a Rolls. Cloth is, of course, a special option at extra cost.
Never the less, I am sure the Purdey stocker worked on this blank of walnut under extreme duress and is probably under the care of good therapist since it's completion
If you think this particular stick of wood is in poor taste, then I have some great broom stick handles you'd be comfortable putting on your Mossberg...send me a PM and I'll give you a good price.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took it in on Thursday, showed it to a client on Saturday - he bought it today. The phone keeps ringing.

Perhaps I under-valued it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, that is a fast turnaround!

Don't know if you saw my last question, as folks are rehashing an old debate on your thread. Do you know the price range it would cost to have "standard" Purdey engraving performed on a gun today? I took a SWAG at $8500-10,000 US. ANy ideas what it would cost in the UK today?

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very good question and one that is hard to answer.

When a new gun is ordered, price is quoted with 'standard fine' engraving inclusive. 'Extras' are added according to what you want, who does it etc so if you want Phil Cogan or Marcus Hunt to engrave it, they will quote for the job according to what you want.

Since almost nobody has a gun totally re-engraved in fine rose and scroll in the way they may have a gun totally re-barrelled or re-stocked, it is hard to separate the cost of this engraving from the product.

What we are asking here is "How much would it cost for an engraver currently engraving Purdey guns to put full-coverage rose and scroll on a new gun?"

David Sinnerton recently made a Purdey type sidelock and had it engraved - I'll try and find out what it cost him.

I will investigate further.

Last edited by Small Bore; 07/16/07 12:23 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.