March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ChiefAmungum, Jtplumb, SKB, Lloyd3, battle, fullandfuller), 299 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will do for some of them when I get back in town.
The problem is that some of those are marketing based and not widely used. I would vote against adding them in.
Ditto for the trademarks, different list.
As for as my alias, it is American by nature (name of my property) and I will not translate it.
I think we forgot "levier d'armement" e.g. cocking lever.
M-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure, regarding the current list, would it be proper to take the translated values and add them together into a sentence?? These are the bulk of the type marks one is going to encounter in inspecting(smoking over) a French longarm, and I use the term loosely. So there is value in knowing what the phrases represent even if it is just advertising.

No, not prying into the skeletons in your closet, or to your origins as a spook or in the witness relocation program, but the terms all seem to denote Wild Cattle. So how do the terms compare across the board?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WC, re the three question marks in your corrections on the list:

Coquille de fusil de chasse: As far as I can tell it does mean Shotgun shell husk. Here is an example of a reloading site (cartouche de rechargement). Welcome correction again.
https://fr.dreamstime.com/photo-stock-ca...e-image58620260
There are a number of sites advertising using the brass of a Coquille de fusil de chasse for bracelets...or using the plastic with candles in them to achieve a lighted party venue.

Jaugé à - gauged/regauged to (chambers enlarged to)??? Here was the sentence from the ad on Naturabuy: "Chambré 65 mais jaugé à 70. Mécanisme parfaitement fonctionnel, verrouillage ferme. Gravures décoratives et reste de jaspage." I've found plenty of "Jaugé à 7.62mm" etc,...which seems to indicate "gauged at" and have found a "Jaugé de chambre" which apparently is a chamber gauge. I think that ad means that the chamber is labeled 65 but a gauge showed it was 70. This needs to be changed....welcome a suggestion. "Guaged at" or "measured at" perhaps?

Demi-coquelle - half cock. I only found this reference once in an ad. I have seen "à moitié armé" and "demi-armé"...refering to the half position of the hammer on a single action firearm hammer gun which prevents the trigger from being pulled - sort of a safety for hammer guns. Perhaps we ought to add the two above phrases à moitié armé" and "demi-armé and delete Demi-coquelle

Also might add these two:

Relevé - cocked
Armé - cocked

Also what does this mean? " Longuesse-Sous- main" amovible -- underlever?

in another day or two I'll super copy your list/changes/additions onto the list on the first page....making it easier to navigate to our final dictionary.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/27/17 10:45 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Re Acier Diamant, etc....here is the VC catalog explaining their metallurgy.....those terms look to be proprietary, not generic:

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd vote against the "advertising" terms because they don't have a consistent meaning. "Acier diamant", for example, means different things to different makers. Usually, I think, an attempt to assign superior quality . . . or at least better quality steel than for an entry-level gun. But note that for V-C in the above catalog page, "acier diamant" isn't the same depending on the type of barrel in question.

A couple more terms:
Chevrotines--buckshot.
Chromage--chromed bores.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Super copied WC's corrected copy to the first page - Added the suggestions also. I disagreed a bit with SGDG and have added clarifications.

I've been reading texts on barrel maker's techniques and other gun manufacturing processes...there are tons of interesting technical terms but no sense in adding them since we're unlikely to run across them unless we get into metallurgy or old plating techniques etc.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/29/17 12:31 AM.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Oh mate, thanks for your support! That was verry usefull info! since i'm going to France I'm looking for such information. also am searching for French terminology on https://pharmacyreviews.md about drugs and pharmacy as well. these are some important things for me now.

Last edited by Beirl19; 06/30/17 01:04 PM.
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've run across this term a number of times: "LES COQUILLES DE LA BASCULE" (SONT GRAVEES DE FEUILLES DE VIGNE EN FOND CREUX). No doubt Coquilles de la Bascule are the Fences. Added to the first page. If proven erroneous, will change. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not had a lot of time to improve the list, but I already had "coquilles" as fences. I most doubt that the other use is Ok. The normal word for it (the shotshell brass) is "culot".
Best regards,
WC-

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are three terms from ads that seem to best be translated as "underlever.." Would like to know what the jury thinks before adding them:

Ouverture par clé devant pontet
Longuesse-Sous- main amovible
Levier sous la longuesse

Last edited by Argo44; 06/08/17 08:56 PM.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.