April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am researching the history of one of my guns and need some assistance with possible additional Information sources.

My O/U was #2 of a pair ordered in 1913. The price was 50 Guineas and a pair of SxS in trade. The customer was an army officer from Cornwall. I have researched the internet materials available to me and have discovered the following:

My officer was part of the 22nd mountain Battery (Derajat) and served in India and east Africa. He is listed variously as 2nd Lt., captain, and major. The same year that he ordered the O/U pair, he flew a Bristol Boxkite. He was sickened with a fever in the E African campaign, but survived. He was mentioned in dispatches in the Battle of Tanga in November, 1914. He was twice reinstated in 1928 & 1930 and retired in 1945.

I have been unable to locate his obituary and would like to know more about the original owner of my O\U, Capt. James Herbert Marmaduke Stevenson. What a great name!

If anyone can point me to some additional resources, I would be most appreciative.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen, deaths of British citizens abroad and in India are on-line. Couldn't find anything. But if he retired from the Army...he had to draw a pension. And at some point that pension stopped. The Army would seem to be the best place to start. I had a similar problem with the original owner of my .20 bore William Evans - have his birth, history as a young man...nothing else.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

British officers of that period were often 2nd (or later) sons. The first born inherited, so his younger brother(s) often ended up in military service. We're talking noble families, so you might focus your research on British peers and see what you can find under Stevenson. Our British contributors can probably offer more specific advice. Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found James Herbert Marmaduke Stevenson died 13th October 1954 age 69 Westminster, County of London. Died at Westminster Hospital. Address at death 8B New Cavendish Street London.

Born 22ND January 1885, Baptism 15th March 1885, Parents James Marmaduke and Rosetta Ann Stevenson. Father was a bank messenger and they lived at 12 Connaught Street London.

Last edited by Hammergun; 05/28/17 09:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With father being a bank messenger, seems unlikely a peerage search would do much good.

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I have continued my research and now believe that I have identified the wrong "J. H. M. Stevenson!" I pulled the "Medal Record" of this officer at the National Archives. Written in the margin was "James Hugh Macdonald Stevenson". I believe this to be the correct purchaser and the soldier involved in most of the above exploits.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stevenson is a popular name. (The nobility is something of a red herring, I suspect. Even in Victorian times GB was not full of nobility, you know!)

I have found a JOHN Hugh Macdonald Stevenson in the 1911 census, as a Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery, based at Shoeburyness, Essex. However, he was born in Middlesex.

Can you please confirm the actual information you have on this chap, perhaps what is written on the gun case or from the firm's records (which firm, by the way?) Where does Cornwall feature? Then I may be able to dig a little deeper for you.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think there were not many 50 Guineas British over unders for sale in 1913. I, too, wonder what the maker was.

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is Mr. Stevenson's Medal Card. Two soldiers used the same initialed name (see lower right corner), both officers (one A.S.C and the other R.A.). After further research, I am uncertain as to who ordered the gun. I think the only solution is to research both individuals and contact the families. Any help is appreciated.

The price of 50 Guineas was for a pair of new Edwinson Green O/U's, less a traded-in pair of SxS.

On the cover letter from Mr. Potter, he references a customer from Cornwall, but I cannot confirm the attachment of either man to that region.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of the two, I would start with the Gunner (Royal Artillery). He would be more likely to come from a moneyed family than someone serving in the Army Service Corps (ASC). I hasten to add I am making a huge assumption there, which is not to denigrate anyone who served in the ASC. Its just that the RA attracted officers from a broad range of backgrounds, whereas the ASC in general attracted those from a less privileged background.

If your man came from Cornwall it would be helpful in tracking him down. Neither of the two chaps above may end up being correct, given what little you have to go on right now.

My understanding is that Edwinson Green made very few U/Os and that a pair would be super-rare.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.