Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Proper mainspring cramps

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Proper mainspring cramps

I can see why these are "proper" clamps since they spread the load out widely over the springs surface. I probably should've mentioned that when I use a pair of long-nosed vice grips padded with electrical tape, that I only depress the spring just enough to remove tension from the mechanism for removal.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vice grips are a great way to break springs~

Making a spring holding fixture is a much better way to temporarily remove and replace springs. Maybe I'll take a pic of some of the dozen or so I've made?

They are simply a slotted bar of steel with the slot just big enough to slip over the compressed spring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

May be showing my ignorance but why are vice grips a great way to break spring?
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use them often enough, you will be telling me.
Looking at the spring vises and how they work will tell most of the reasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From my experience I feel that it is far, far harder to control the compression of the spring with something like pliers, of any type, which move the spring quickly with great leverage. Plus, if it does fly out of the pliers after removing it from the lock and flies across the room (or into your face), there is a great chance of breakage. With the proper spring cramp the thumbscrew slowly compresses the spring in a very controlled manner. I've done it both ways, and the greater control from a mainspring vise gives me much more confidence.

JMTCW, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sound advice, all. I shot the gun last weekend at Hausmann's. No problems. The directions in the Brophy book suggest removing the spring and sear as one. I can seen now why as the above spring compressors would not fit in between the sear and the spring. Thanks all. The knowledge and expereince on this forum never fail to amaze.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spring holding fixtures made to fit individual springs while compressed. Slip over spring, remove, fix or work on whatever needed, then reinstall spring without ever removing fixture or releasing spring tension. Hugely helpful, pairs are for pared spring such as main or ejector springs. Old-time gunsmith tool. Two pics of same group.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An old "jury rig" way was to cock the piece, wrap a length of wire around the cocked spring( where there was room), twist it to hold, and then release the sear.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I would add a couple of Brit clamping tools that are more universal than a dedicated main spring clamp. On the left of the picture are a couple of hand vices small and large, they did manufacture many sizes in between. The late Jack Rowe was a keen user of hand vices and I did see him recommend their use in one of his videos. On the right are what we call toolmakers clamps or sometimes known as steel fingers, these are made in sizes from a foot to an inch and they all have a smooth clamping area so leave no marks on your work. Toolmakers clamps are so shaped so they can be used in confined situations and you will be surprised how much clamping force can be given by one of these.
Unfortunately, these tools are considered old fashioned these days and not many tool merchants stock them here now. These are a lot more stable than trying to use pliers!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.