April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, David Williamson, Sun Dog, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 492 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#481684 05/28/17 07:23 AM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The hammer or main spring on my grade 2 broke the other day. Heard a crunch and jingle and the right barrel failed to fire. I had several complete locks purchased some time ago via ebay or gunbroker (saw new and old springs at Numrich for 15.00) and swaped them using a needle nose vice grips. Not a complicated job for a novice like me but was told to be carefull with vise grips, gouging, and purchase a spring clamp. Hope this does not happen again but it is inevitable with 100 plus year old guns. Where can I purchase such a clamp or spring vise, is that nomenclature correct? LC locks are simple, engineered so to speak for quick and easy replacement. I am not a gunsmith, nor pretend or aspire so, and would not attempt anything more complicated that a simple swap, but I can see the need for proper tools for field expediency.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a spring clamp (cramp) that I bought many years ago for disassembling sidelocks. I thought that I could find one available at Track of the Wolf, or some similar supply house, but haven't been able to so far. I will take a pic of it this afternoon, and post it for you if nobody else does so by tonight.

Works very well.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,

Thanks. Enjoy the holiday.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's it, exactly.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you search "Mainspring Vise" on EBay, there are several, less expensive ones available.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always use a pair of long-nose vice grips with the jaws wrapped with black electrical tape to prevent scratching and gouging of the spring.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do the same, but I also ground and then filed down the "teeth" of the jaws on a set of needle-nose Vise-Grip pliers- and used masking tape. Smith locks are way simpler to re-assemble than those found on British and European mfg. sidelock guns. Smith locks are a good design, for their time, but lack intercepting sears, and are a trap for the unwary--hammers must be cocked before you can safely remove and then re-assemble the forearm and barrels.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Smith devised a tool for disassembly and reassembly of the mainspring. it is not necessary to take the lock apart to do this, it is also used to cock the hammer when lock is off the action and cock the gun with the barrels and forend off. See Brophy page 195. I have one of the tools if anyone needs demensions.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or even better- dimensions as to print. I have one, and it is well worth the $10.00 I paid for it years ago. Along with a 6 ft. tape ruler and a step choke gauge, it goes in my pocket when I go to area gun shows in the Winter months- sometimes find a dealer in distress, who let a proposed buyer remove the forearm and barrels from a Smith offered for sale, and then pulled the triggers and let down the hammers- great design, as the curved front section allows you to rotate the cocking rod front lug, against the opposite handed lug, and then, the other cocking rod. I have only seen one Smith gun that a careless or uninformed owner "boogered" by trying to re-assemble the barrels and forearm on a receiver with the hammers down-- Not a pretty sight.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.