Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#481338 05/23/17 09:23 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/23/17 09:24 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

BC gets lots of nice guns. That one certainly is a stunner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a crime to use such a beautiful piece of wood to make such an ugly stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun, but with a 1 1/8 "drop at comb, it would be of little use to most shooters.

Last edited by vangulil; 05/24/17 07:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm, same LOP as my MX8. 34" barrels on a .410 ............ mmmmm.

Can I just try it out?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right behind me Stan.

I'm 6'3" of solid flab.

I could shoot that stock.

Easy.

Drool.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw this gun at this years Vegas show. It is a stunner! There's enough wood on this gun to allow that stock to be reshaped into something more shootable for most of us.

nid-28
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Davis
I saw this gun at this years Vegas show. It is a stunner! There's enough wood on this gun to allow that stock to be reshaped into something more shootable for most of us.

Exactly. Unfortunately, that doesn't apply here for me.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Davis

I presume, then, that most of you are deformed in some way.

But who would care anyway - those 34" barrels are the definition of stupid

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 05/24/17 01:42 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane

You ever shot a 34" Perazzi, of any gauge or persuasion, at anything? Don't lie to keep from being the definition of stupid now.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun was apparently built for me.......but unfortunately I was not informed. Bad timing as I've spent the money on food, housing and other frivolous necessities.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts

You ever shot a 34" Perazzi, of any gauge or persuasion, at anything? Don't lie to keep from being the definition of stupid now.
JR

Actually I have - several. Stupid is blind obedience to purposeless fad. O/U guns with 34" barrels are quite easily identified by that categorization. "Purposeless" is the operative term in the event that you didn't realize that.

HTH

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

JR

I've shot a Perazzi 20ga. with 34" barrels I'd say it was the definition of perfection....anyone that claimed otherwise would have to be stupid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, thank goodness the barrels are stacked over under. Nothing a few minutes with a hacksaw couldn't fix. A few weeks ago, side by side arranged barrels were purposeless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How many of you have ever shot a 36" barreled O/U? I have, and it handled very nicely. It is a Valmet 412. My buddy has it. Going by memory, it has no side ribs, and only a quarter rib in the rear and a short ramp for the front bead. They were all choked full and full, and I assume were built for waterfowl.

No reason for me to think that Perazzi wouldn't handle well. Necessary for killing high doves? Nah. Cool ?........ yep, 10X.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/25/17 07:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

34" might not seem so stupid, if you were Andre the Giant or some other huge specimen.
The collection of graying older gents, (er, mostly) who hang out here, can likely get by without them in a pinch.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JR

Actually I have - several. Stupid is blind obedience to purposeless fad. O/U guns with 34" barrels are quite easily identified by that categorization. "Purposeless" is the operative term in the event that you didn't realize that.

HTH

A hoola hoop is a "purposeless fad" (gotta love that terminology). A set of 34" barrels on a clay target gun for small-gauge SC events from one of the world's best makers of o/u target shotguns, not so much. But you would have to be sane to know that. Or a graying older gent.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/26/17 09:25 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Purposeless. They fill no need besides SWIG! and even look stupid. Digweed must laugh his ass off every time he sees another poser with a long barreled gun.

"But you would have to be sane to know that. Or a graying older gent."

And not only sane but sentient and beyond graying

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you a midget Wanker ?

The 34" Perazzi 20 ga. I shot handled like a magic wand....

Only a midget idiOt toting a tape measure would take note of anything irregular.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Purposeless. They fill no need besides SWIG! and even look stupid. Digweed must laugh his ass off every time he sees another poser with a long barreled gun.

Seriously? I mean, really Wonk? Those 40 year naps must be nice. It's 2017, not 1958. Things have changed, for the better, in the shotgun world. Do you shoot?
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seriously? I mean, really Wonk? Those 40 year naps must be nice. It's 2017, not 1958. Things have changed, for the better, in the shotgun world. Do you shoot?
JR

You'd best be careful the crowds after that stupid gun could run you over trying to get to it. I mean - WOW !!! who could resist?

Ah, yes - things do change in the Big World of Fads but fortunately some simple truths endure. When Giovanni Pellielo, or any other international shooter wins the Olympics with a 34" barreled Perazzi I may have to re-evaluate the situation. I may not live that long.

And I do shoot now and then. I admit that I lose a lot of time deciding which of the seven Perazzis here to use but eventually I make the choice and get around to shooting.

Shoot whatever you like and give no thot to how silly you might look cuz those in the "know" will certainly tag you as a Swinging With It Dude!! packing those long barrels!

have another day

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 05/28/17 11:21 AM.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Describe those seven Perazzi's, Wonk, if you don't mind. I mean, after all, you are the world's foremost authority. Thanks.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not make a decision on what I shoot based on what the fad is. I do so after trying the alternatives and evaluating what works best for me, in shooting sporting ........ what breaks the most targets for me. One example of that is that I do not shoot choke tubes, preferring fixed MOD chokes in both barrels. It could be said that changing choke tubes is a fad, too. I have never been able to shoot a 34" gun enough to tell if it would gain me any targets.

My feelings are that handling characteristics of a gun are interpreted differently by those of differing physiques. The numbers on the gun don't change, but how they feel to a 5' 8" man with a 26" sleeve length is going to be light years different from a man who may be 6' 4" and wears a 36" sleeve. He will hold the forend so much further away from the balance point that the mounted swing effort will be drastically different. What has that got to do with this discussion? Just that the length of the barrels should never be judged without considering the physique of the man shooting it. If the 6' 4" guy shoots better scores with a 15 3/4" LOP why wouldn't it be possible for him to do better with longer barrels, too?

I'd give my left --- to shoot that Perazzi for an afternoon in our sunflower field. Stupid or not.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

For $42K I would want more than one trigger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster

I like double triggers, too. But, putting them on a Perazzi would be like putting bias ply tires on a Lamborghini.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Bushmaster

I like double triggers, too. But, putting them on a Perazzi would be like putting bias ply tires on a Lamborghini.

SRH

You're right
Will change out the tires in the morning

Sidelock
Sidelock

These Perazzi threads have me curious.
What aspect of them makes them so highly aspired to?

I've shot a fair number of them (fixed and multi-choked barrels), and I for the life of me can't understand the appeal.

You can certainly measure the same handling dynamics and stock dimensions in other target guns, and yet there seems to be about a 30% premium for the privilege.

In perhaps 100 shooting tournaments, I can't recall one determined by a mechanical malfunction. (Excluding SxS events, where it's obvious that some of the most desired brands are not very dependable, in these I've seen many mechanical malfunctions)

So, it seems to me that it's more an economic thing than a mechanical thing.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly not economics for me, CZ. I got a windfall on my current one, at $2500 and maybe some change. My first one only cost me $1800 plus some repairs as it had been shot too long without attention to the locking bolt.

Why? For me it is handling, and the trigger. I began shooting sporting with a semi, and literally wore it out. Bought a 32" Valmet 412 and tried hard to like it, but the trigger sucked and the handling just wasn't great for me, although my shooting buddy still shoots one as his go-to sporting gun. A friend loaned me a Beretta 682 Gold E and it was like heaven had opened up. Handling was great, with a good trigger. Then ...... I shot a MX8, and bought my first. I won A class with it at a big shoot with prizes that included two $500 gift certificates from Briley. I sent it to them and had it screw choked and bought a bunch of S1 series chokes. Big mistake, for me, but I didn't know it at the time. Then I got the chance to buy the MX8 I shoot now, and have shot for roughly 10 years.

I can pick up a Kreighoff and shoot it and it feels clumsy and slow by comparison, though I haven't tried the Parcours model. My gun is pushing 9#, and is as lively as anything I have ever shot. The barrels must be the key with a Perazzi. I do know they pay great attention to them when building.

As long as I am able to shoot a Perazzi I can't see me shooting anything else as a serious comp gun.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/29/17 06:39 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Describe those seven Perazzi's, Wonk, if you don't mind. I mean, after all, you are the world's foremost authority. Thanks.JR

What purpose that serves and what my authority has to do with it mystifies me but;
MX1, MX8, four Mirages (one a skeet), MT6. Two have two barrel sets and two have three barrel sets lengths ranging from 70cm to 75cm So they all are, of course, worthless being so short.

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your trouble. But sarcasm won't alleviate your earlier obtusely wrong statements. But no problem, because, after all, your wisdom and knowledge as The World's Foremost Authority provides the necessary cover for a self-described know-it-all to hide behind. Have fun with that.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your jealousy so ill becomes you

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I do not make a decision on what I shoot based on what the fad is. I do so after trying the alternatives and evaluating what works best for me, in shooting sporting ........ what breaks the most targets for me. One example of that is that I do not shoot choke tubes, preferring fixed MOD chokes in both barrels. It could be said that changing choke tubes is a fad, too. I have never been able to shoot a 34" gun enough to tell if it would gain me any targets.

My feelings are that handling characteristics of a gun are interpreted differently by those of differing physiques. The numbers on the gun don't change, but how they feel to a 5' 8" man with a 26" sleeve length is going to be light years different from a man who may be 6' 4" and wears a 36" sleeve. He will hold the forend so much further away from the balance point that the mounted swing effort will be drastically different. What has that got to do with this discussion? Just that the length of the barrels should never be judged without considering the physique of the man shooting it. If the 6' 4" guy shoots better scores with a 15 3/4" LOP why wouldn't it be possible for him to do better with longer barrels, too?
SRH

And Wonk, you should read this reply by Stan every morning for 2 weeks, or as needed, on a regular basis, until your narrow mind begins to open somewhat. It won't hurt a bit, I promise.
JR

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was born jealous.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was born jealous.
JR

No doubt

With no regret I'll leave this seemingly Hogwarts derived fund of misguided revelations with the thot that 34" O/U barrels, in as much as Perazzi can provide any required barrel weight and likely tailor weight distribution as well, provide no ballistic or mechanical advantage (purposeless) and in fact impose some restraints mechanically that are not found in, say, 75cm barrels.

have another day

Dr.WtS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thirty four inch barrels are just too much trouble to quickly get out the truck window when the need arises...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

LOL!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Thirty four inch barrels are just too much trouble to quickly get out the truck window when the need arises...Geo

Finally, the truth! Thanks George.
JR

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was born jealous.
JR

No doubt

With no regret I'll leave this seemingly Hogwarts derived fund of misguided revelations with the thot that 34" O/U barrels, in as much as Perazzi can provide any required barrel weight and likely tailor weight distribution as well, provide no ballistic or mechanical advantage (purposeless) and in fact impose some restraints mechanically that are not found in, say, 75cm barrels.

have another day

Ah contraire, mon frere. 34" barrels provide a longer sight plane which reduces perceived lead. It's a known fact among even the most mundane of the SC shooters who actually care about their score. On that fact, I'll bid adieu as well.

Have gun will travel.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 05/30/17 10:43 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So it's agreeded that midgets shouldn't shoot 34" barrels....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
So it's agreeded that midgets shouldn't shoot 34" barrels....

That is what I read in Churchill's Game Shooting if I recall correctly. Long barrels for tall folk and short barrels for folks of shorter stature. It is no longer acceptable to refer to short-statured people as midgets.

I do not think it's very bright of someone to pay over $42,000 for gun made for somebody else. This does not hold for mass-produced inexpensive or moderately expensive guns made for someone of average dimensions. Then again as they say some people have more money than........

Sidelock
Sidelock

So you think everyone in the world needs a different fit for a gun, eh? Meaning it is impossible for a gun not made for you to fit you perfectly. That's beyond absurd.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

JG reference Churchill's theories on barrel length; they are that theories not facts and while applicable for some, not universal.

Guns are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

What can you may value vs someone else does not reveal their or your brilliance, just willingness.

The fact is in competitive shooting people who actually do it have found what works for them and are willing to pay for it. If someone has found that percentage edge, which truly matters in the higher levels competition, that is bright.

Like you a Perazzi is not worth it to me, but to those it is, I respect their skill in eking out that edge. I would not condemn them for it.

JG when you run your straight hundred in international trap or skeet with your O/U or SxS let us know the role barrel length played?

Last edited by old colonel; 05/30/17 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling and additions

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would just be happy to hear when he BUYS an O/U period.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the Perazzi shotguns most seem to be for competition compared to the Ivo Fabbri shotguns which are more inline with upland game guns.

"Ivo Fabbri founded the company in 1968, eight years after he began working with Daniele Perazzi. Their dreams differed. Perazzi wanted to create the best competition gun in the world, something he realized incontrovertibly at the London 2012 Olympics, when Perazzis won 12 out of the 15 shotgun-sports medals. Fabbri, however, was inspired by the traditions of London gunmaking and simply wanted to make the best."

"Yet, despite that price tag, the order book is full for the next six years. Partly its because the Fabbri Itlaian gunmakers guns have attracted a starry clientele, such as Clapton, Selleck and Spielberg; partly because the technical processes in their manufacture are so involved; but mainly, and gloriously, its because the Fabbri family does not wish to make more than 20 a year, compared to a London firms output of around 70."

http://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/fabbri-italian-gunmakers-26748

Sidelock
Sidelock

As for me. I'll never forgive Churchill for the XXV.....been there a done that. smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

The idea that some people denigrate barrels longer than 28" never ceases to amaze me. The length of a set of barrels has precious little to do with the handling characteristics of a gun. Some consider 30" long, and would never consider carrying one in the uplands. However, I have a Fox 16 ga. with 30" barrels that weighs in at 6 lbs. 4 oz. Anybody who can't carry that gun needs to stay home and convalesce.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

A gun with 30" tubes, regardless of weight, would be a bit of a struggle in most grouse and woodcock thickets, Stan. Particularly, in early season.
You could do it, it just wouldn't be the best tool for the job.
I have a few guns with 28" tubes that I hoped would be a decent compromise for combined use for pheasants, grouse and woodcock. But, they were mostly just a compromise, and not the best tool for either job.
So it goes.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's amazing how quickly some people forget that a 30" SxS/OU'r is comparable in overall length to a 24" inch barreled semi'auto....the 34" Perazzi would compare to a 28" semi'auto.

I'm betting this same bunch would condemn a 24" Semi auto as being to short.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's actually about a 3 1/2" to 4" disparity in length between a semi-auto and an o/u or sxs, in general. But your point is a good one.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/01/17 10:16 AM.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's actually about a 3 1/2" to 4" disparity in length between a semi-auto and an o/u or sxs, in general. But your point is a good one.
JR

And that is gauge and chamber length dependent. It can be shorter for 28 and 16 gauges which don't have modern ammo longer than 2 3/4" although 28 ga is expanding to 3" shells.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
JR

And that is gauge and chamber length dependent. It can be shorter for 28 and 16 gauges which don't have modern ammo longer than 2 3/4" although 28 ga is expanding to 3" shells.

GLS, gauge nor chamber length has anything to do with overall length. A 20 ga. (or 28 ga.) A400 Beretta with 28" barrels is the same OAL as it's 12 ga. big brother. Of course chamber length inside the barrel has nothing to do with external dimensions.

Not quite sure what you are saying about the 28 ga. and 3" shells
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/01/17 12:12 PM.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Talking about clickety-clack 28 and 16 gauges overall lengths compared with break actions. On scaled to gauge receivers, the bolt doesn't have to travel as far on shorter length chambers to clear the ejection port. 12 and 20 gauge shells can be 3.5" for 12 gauge and 20 has 3" maximum hull length hence receiver needs to be longer than 16 or 28 gauges. However as I noted Fiocchi has announced 3" shells for 28 gauge. Not sure which gunmaker will accommodate the 3" shells.
PS: Benelli has announced a 3" 28 gauge

Last edited by GLS; 06/01/17 12:54 PM. Reason: PS added
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Talking about clickety-clack 28 and 16 gauges overall lengths compared with break actions. On scaled to gauge receivers, the bolt doesn't have to travel as far on shorter length chambers to clear the ejection port. 12 and 20 gauge shells can be 3.5" for 12 gauge and 20 has 3" maximum hull length hence receiver needs to be longer than 16 or 28 gauges. However as I noted Fiocchi has announced 3" shells for 28 gauge. Not sure which gunmaker will accommodate the 3" shells.
PS: Benelli has announced a 3" 28 gauge

Not trying to be argumentative here with this GLS, but none of what you mention about bolt travel or even scaled-to-gauge receivers affects OAL worth mentioning. Even a 28 ga. A400 receiver, which is scaled to a 28 gauge shell, has enough difference in length to a 12 ga. version to amount to anything discernable in handling or dynamics.

From whom does Benelli think the 3" 28 ga. shells will be derived? Makes about as much sense as introducing a 3 1/4" 20 ga.
JR

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not speaking of handling characteristics, just overall length. Period. Not sure what you mean by "derived" as I already said Fiocchi makes them. Most likely for HTL or steel shot.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...none of what you mention about bolt travel or even scaled-to-gauge receivers affects OAL worth mentioning.
JR

Sorry, overlooked your info from Fiocchi.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/01/17 03:25 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to let Fiocchi get one up on me, I think I will wildcat the .410 and build one with a 4" case. I really need a 1 oz. load. If I use steel shot so that deformation isn't an issue I should be able to make it perform well, eh? wink

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

With a foe tin and some TSS shot you could kill an Elephant at 100 yds....

Sidelock
Sidelock

JR

I just looked in my safe...my 24" Benelli SBE with a 2" extended choke is about a 1/2 longer than two 30" double barrels sitting next to it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.