Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you most likely know it already, but that rig of yours is the most deadly method I know of to shoot squirrels. I used to cut a cedar tree and lay it in the front of my canoe. Just the guy in the front does the shooting. I don't know whether I enjoy the wood ducks or the squirrels best for eating; nice choice!...Geo

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duck hunting in a canoe can be quite deadly. Lost three hunters in two years up around my parts alone. The last one was seen going out for a retrieve, and never came back.

I have a small 14' duck canoe (42" waterline beam), but just upgraded to 16' deep and wide Starcraft. The duck canoe will now be relegated to the smallest of marshes.

Last edited by dal; 05/22/17 10:45 AM.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duck hunting can be a rough business and not for the meek. My duck hunting days are likely over but I used to wear an vest that could be activated by compressed CO2 should I fall into deep water. I've hunting alone and even though Texas winters are quite mild, I would rather have another hunter with me.

Last edited by pooch; 05/22/17 01:41 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dal, we have a number of locally made row boats at our place in Delta Marsh. They work very well. One canoe for use on nice afternoons after the morning hunt. Nothing motorized allowed in the marsh.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

You absolutely cannot turn mine over while sitting down, regardless of how it looks.

I can think of a lot worse ways to go. Like sitting at home and dying wishing I had gone duck hunting when I could.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Death doesn't always come easily. You could also end up in a nursing home with a hopelessly destroyed brain deification on yourself, spending what's left of your life in a personal hell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right of course, but the only guaranteed way to avoid it is not to have lived at all. I'll take my chances with living. You can end up with the same condition from leading an inactive life which contributes to heart disease and/or stroke.

Psalm 37:23 tells me my footsteps are ordered by the Lord. I believe that ..... and when He is ready for me I'm ready to go. Whenever, however.

"Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him". Job.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/22/17 06:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
Death doesn't always come easily. You could also end up in a nursing home with a hopelessly destroyed brain deification on yourself, spending what's left of your life in a personal hell.

Your "auto correct" makes you remind me of Donnie Baker. crazy I'm constantly fighting mine.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
You absolutely cannot turn mine over while sitting down, regardless of how it looks....

I have no idea where you hunt, but I think the small one or two man duck skiffs like you showed are for what is probably small water, marsh, river or whatever. I think some of the fellows up in Canada are thinking about big open water where conditions like strong winds and whitecaps can whip up. I think you hit on the two main points, crummy weather can concentrate ducks and just about guarantee that some knucklehead won't ruin the solitude.

I suppose it's a bit too early to start your count down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craig,

I hunt the Savannah River and Brier Creek in mine. They were designed for hunting Lake Okechobee in FL., and were built there. Brier Creek runs up to maybe 8 feet deep in some holes when the creek is low, and 60 ft. wide. Duck drifting is best, on the big river and on the creek, when they are inside the banks. When they flood, the ducks are in the flooded oak flats, not in the run of the stream. I don't even go if they are flooded, it's useless. The Savannah River is much bigger. Where I hunt, about 40 miles (as the crow flies) downstream from Augusta, it averages probably 140 yards wide. Very swift and deep in places. I worry more about dropping one of my doubles in it than me getting hurt. It's a goner if that happens. Two chances of getting it back ....... slim and none. I absolutely refuse to take my Foxes on the big river in the "kayak" thing.

Only thing I'm counting down is the days to dove season.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/ge...20Season%202017

SRH

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.