March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the information Gene. I assume you mean ellenbr (Raimey), not "Elenorbm", when you are giving credit to contributors to this list. I find it simply amazing though, that Gladys Kravitz, I mean old colonel, and wannago-whining have not jumped in to criticize off-topic thread diversions like this:

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
I don't know quite how to say it but there is a very important term
when it comes to the French and guns...

How do you say "I Surrender" in French ??

Or, for that matter, off topic thread diversions like this:

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Recently seen at a gun show.
A sign next to a French military rifle,
"For Sale, Never Fired, Dropped Only Once".

Even this wasn't enough to stop Bob after the first offense:

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Pretty silly and irrelevant post since we're talking professionally about double guns. Gene Williams

And still nothing from the self-appointed thread moderator Gladys??? Hmmmmmm. One can't help but wonder whether there is some hypocrisy and selective civility going on here... maybe some more proof that Gladys and wannago-whining & Co. were actually more intent upon enabling and protecting anti-2nd Amendment trolls like King Brown in their very recent personal attack threads???

Also, it wasn't very refined, civil, and mannerly to perpetuate the idea that the French are cowards. A better example of spineless cowardice would be to mock Replacement, who contributed to the recent personal attack threads by attempting to drag my daughters into it:

Originally Posted By: Replacement
I can't wait until someone mentions Keith's daughters

I know, I'm not supposed to notice or mention these things. Nor am I supposed to mention, their collaborative effort (I'm not supposed to know that... let the PM's begin again!). That entire off topic thread personal attack thread was deleted by Dave, but the hypocrisy lingers like the stench from a fresh turd.

Kind Regards,

Selby Lowndes smile

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry, good question. Here is French wikipedia's explanation which I think solves the problem - it should be translated as "externally sleeved or jacketed, built-up barrels" or some such?

Canon fretté

Canon de marine BL de 16 pouces Mk I, dont on peut apercevoir une partie de la frette coté culasse

Tube fretté

Comparaison entre un tube en une pièce et un tube fretté
Un tube de canon fretté est composé de plusieurs éléments, contrairement à un tube forgé ou fondu en une pièce. Les frettes sont des anneaux posés sur le tube d'un canon pour le renforcer. Le frettage réalise une compression du tube central et la mise sous tension du tube extérieur.

Comparison between a tube in one piece and a tube frette. A cannon tube frette is composed of several elements, in contrast to a tube forged or foundered in one piece. The Frette are rings put on a barrel tube in order to reinforce it. The frettage creates a compression of the central tube and puts the exterior of the tube under tension.

Le frettage du tube consiste à le renforcer contre la pression intérieure qu’il subira au départ du coup. En principe, le ou les frettages, des anneaux, sont posés à chaud. Étant donné que leur diamètre à froid est légèrement plus petit que le diamètre extérieur du tube central, elles créent, en refroidissant, une précontrainte de compression qui réduira d'autant l’effet de l’extension du tube au départ du coup. Vu cette précontrainte du métal, on obtient une répartition plus égale des sollicitations dans l’ensemble tube et frette, ce qui permet une économie de poids par rapport à un tube en acier massif pouvant résister au même choc dû à l’augmentation foudroyante de la pression.
The frettage of a tube consists of reinforcing it against interior pressure to which it is subjected in firing. In principle, the frettage(s), the ring(s), are emplaced when they are hot. Their diameters when cold are slightly smaller than the exterior diameter of the central tube, creating, upon cooling a precondition compression which reduces the effects of the expansion of the tube upon firing. Because of this pre constraining of the metal, one can obtain a more even distribution in the tube and frette together which permits an economy of weight when compared to a tube from a steel billet, which can resist the same shock due to the sudden increase in pressure.

Pour des pièces d’artillerie de petites dimensions et avec le perfectionnement de l’usinage pour des pièces plus grosses, il est devenu possible de remplacer les frettes de faible longueur par des frettes en une pièce, appelées jaquettes ou manchons. Un avantage de ces jaquettes consiste dans le fait que le tube extérieur massif à pour effet de réduire les vibrations de l’ensemble au départ du coup.
For artillery pieces of small dimensions and with the prefectioning of its use for larger pieces, it became possible to replace frettes of smaller lengths by frettes in one piece, called "Jackets" or "sleeves". An advantage of these jackets consisted of the fact that the massive exterior of the tube can reduce the vibrations of the whole upon firing.

Here is the "frette" or external sleeve on a Manufrance:

Last edited by Argo44; 05/21/17 06:28 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Apologies to any who found my attempts at humor distracting or offensive.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shelby...good Southern name by the way....my mother's family lived in Lowndes County Alabama for 150 years... I suspect this gun vocabulary thread will become a standard reference document for many here and abroad once google starts popping it up. I just haven't been able to find another similar list anywhere. Bob's "jokes" were neither original nor funny, and will be seen by the people accessing the list for the next 10 years as at best ill-mannered.

As for your personal beef with others on the board, perhaps it's time to let things go and practice forgiveness. It is Sunday. We are all Americans.

And I've been meaning to ask you what sort of grease I could put on the hinge of my St. Etienne 12 bore to help it loosen up a bit more. (and I was referring to Raimey and have fixed the user name...thanks).

Last edited by Argo44; 05/21/17 12:47 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those interested...here is a pretty good French guy's site I just found with firearms (in general) technical terms in five languages, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. I think our list of French terms as related to double guns is more complete but this should be an excellent reference tool as well.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/intrglos.htm

Last edited by Argo44; 05/21/17 12:47 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Merci beaucoup!
Gotta add this page to favorites smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear authors, may I ask your permission to copy your dictionary to my blog, with proper credit to all the authors?

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By all means please copy and/or link - the list is there to be used. By the way I continue to update the list as I find new terminology and refine others.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you!

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've added the following terms to the list; please correct as need be and I'll change them

Baguette de nettoyage - ramrod, cleaning rod
Bouchon de canon - bullet starter
Bronze - bronze; copper and tin alloy
Canon de fusil a l’âme rayée - rifled barrel
Chromé - chrome plated
Cuivre - copper
Doré -
repoussé en
Ecouvillon - brush
Ecouvillon en laiton - brass barrel (cleaning) brush
émaillé -
Finition - finish
…Finition argent - silver finish
…Finition blue - blued finish
…Finition canon de fusil - gunmetal finish
…Finition chromé - chrome finish
…Finition nickelée - nickel finish.
…Finition noir - blued finish
Fusil à canon scié - sawed off shotgun
Laine d’acier - steel wool
Laiton - Brass: alloy - 70 parts copper; 30 parts zinc
Mono-canon - single barrel
Nickelée - nickel plated
Ornée - ornamented
Plaquée - plated
Poire à poudre - powder horn; powder flask
Poli - polished
repoussé en
Restauration - restoration
Similor - alloy; 100 parts Red copper; 12 parts zinc
Soudure - solder
…Soudure d’argentan/argent - Silver solder
…Soudure a l’étain - Tin solder (lead and tin mixed)
…Soudure de cuivre - Copper solder used in the highest end guns (red coper, old silver, antimony, zinc, etc.)
Tombac - alloy; 16 parts copper; 1 part zinc; 1 part tin

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.