March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi gents;
A friend has an old rifle he wants to sell: According to him, it is a 8.15X46R caliber. I saw it last night, and it is in excellent condition, being a single-shot underlever rifle with a double rear leaf sight, set trigger(2 triggers.) The rifling looks really good, and he has 3 (three) shells for it. He said one could make shells from American .32-40 brass, and he said he had instructions on how to do that. I assume it is a "guild" gun, as I could not see any name on it.
Any ideas of worth? Would pictures help?
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes
Pictures would help

I've had two 8.15x46R rifles and still do have the dies.
The bore sizes vary between guns. Be sure to slug the bore if
you acquire this rifle.

Try looking here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=8.15&ca=5000190

or copy and paste this link
http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=8.15*

Last edited by skeettx; 05/18/17 10:46 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam,
Photos aren't helpful, they are necessary. Include photos of all markings, including proof marks on the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm. With regard to using "Gun Broker" ( or other Auction Houses)prices as value of your friend's rifle, use only actual sale prices. They are often listed for years, without being sold, with too high minimum price.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fellows: I do not own, nor WANT to own this rifle. I will have to ask the fellow to bring it to the gun club so I can take cell phone pictures of it. Your information about the asking price, etc, was most helpful. I will pass this on to the owner. (He isn't trying to be anonymous; he just doesn't use the computer much.) Our next "Skeet Night" is next Tuesday, so it will most likely be that following Wednesday morning before I send pictures. (WITH Skeetx's help)
Thanks,
Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam
single shot with leaf sights and a 'set trigger' - that is most likeley one of the old german 'target guns' used for competitions by hunters (woodsmen)in southern Germany before the great war.
8.15x46R was the caliber for that.
if the stock is very ornate & with shoulder-hook, then it is one of those!
(also a caliber preferred by poachers at that time! in short or take-down guns)
Our friends in Germany should have a bit more info on these things - I'm getting old and can't remember what they are called and other details now - sorry
as far as I am aware,8.15x46R ammo is still available somewhere - try Bertram for cases

Edit: just remembered: Schützen Rifle
Best regards from England
Günter
NRA Life 1974

Last edited by Gunter; 08/07/17 11:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam,
I wouldn't advise Bertram cases. The most available case to use is 30-30, they are available everywhere. In addition to sizing and trimming to length, your friend may have to adjust the rim diameter and/or thickness, some rifles accept the rim "as is", but most don't. Instead of "Guild Guns", these unmarked guns are really guns that were "made for the trade". Some were marked by the seller, but many were not. Except for the little Sauer & Sohn,
most of these(made in several calibers) were made by someone in Zella-Mehilis, possibly Langenhahn, and provided to other dealers for marketing. These are not schuetzen rifles, which are an entirely different class of rifle, even though most are chambered for 8.15x46R also.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 08/07/17 05:33 PM.
Ger Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you can find all about Schuetzen rifles:
http://www.feuerbixler.de/

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.