April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, rtw, Hugh Lomas, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 983 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like the backwards C paired w/ a C was the tube mechanic. I would be most interested in the odd marks forward of the 15.1 Choke stamps on the scattergun tubes.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel E. on the GGCA site gives that: "Johann Sigott, 1872 – 1955, was a gunmaker at Ferlach #34, Austria". Adding the average period of 24 years for attaining the rank of meister büchsenmacher would suggest that Johann Sigott attained that rank in the 1896-1897 time frame. Thanks again Moose Snoot for the research effort.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Below is the thread for the unique Sigott tube boring("Sigott-Rifled-Bohrung" or Sigott-Drall-Rifled-Bohrung" ):

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370702&page=3

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

A big thank you to you all, for the help so far.

-Raimy,those odd marks seems to be EF stamps, almost polished away.

-I have seen that thread before. Those barrels has also got the double C stamp. Do any of you know if that stamp is related to Sigott only, or is it a common Ferlach stamp seen on multiple brands?

Last edited by Skrotnissen; 05/18/17 08:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skrotnissen, can you confirm or deny if your tubes have a similar internal pattern?

Nah, I'd say the CC mechanic was @ the Ferlacher Consortium. The stamp of liability & compensation appears on many other Ferlach offerings.

Being new to the site, how successful were you in garnering info when you searched, i.e., is the info arranged on the DGS BBS so that threads w/ pertinent info came to light high in the search results?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

No, the gun do not have this special bore. This gun has normal smooth shotgunbarrels.
I googeled the internett to find as much information as possible for my gun. I have not yet tried to search insider the forum as a member. I will give you feedback.
Would you say that code number 34, always would be stamped on the gun if it was made by Sigott in Ferlach, or are you familiar with chases of "named guns" without matchingen number?
Cheers Joar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, you are compressing time as the Ferlach Maker's nummers as issued by the Brits were post WWII. Regarding Ferlach, I'd say the name atop the rib would at a minimum denote effort & @ least finishing effort by the maker. Might be some mechanic's initials around the weight of the tubeset.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Raimey my Sensei!
I guess I got caught in the web. :-) There are circulating a list of the makers numbers on the web. This list states that the pre war number for Sigott was 34, and that the post war number was 43.

This Sigott büchsflinte has the exact same combination of dollhead combined with Greener cross bolt. Also the diopter is similar to mine.

Büchflinte
This gun looks almost like it's been engraved by the same engraver, as mine.
The engraving of the right sidelock is extremely similar to my left sidelock. The engraving of the lock for the front wood is exactly similar mine, line by line. The top lever, dollhead and the end of the greener bolt also seems to be the same. Could this be a confirmation or tell tale of the guns origin? I don't know if the engravers was employees of the gunmaker, or if they where working for them selfes.

Thanks in advance,
Joar

Last edited by Skrotnissen; 05/18/17 01:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joar:

Pre-WWII use of maker's numbers goes against the grain as the 1st number in the preliminary datastring of each sporting weapon has an issued proofhouse number, which was designed to obscure the actual maker from the proof mechanics in an effort to deter bias toward a certain maker or pool of makers. As I understand it, post WWII the Brits devised a numerical system in an effort to tally the number of respective weapons that originated w/ a specific maker & then to keep tabs on production, etc. Axel E gives otherwise that the Ferlach makers devised the numbering scheme on their own & it was their house/factor number? For now I don't subscribe to that.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

One sees that reverse C - C stamp quite often sometimes along w/ the letters St. on Johann Sigott's wares:

I'll look thru other Ferlach maker images to see what I can find.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.