March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am offering a seminar in Metal Preparation: Rust and Nitre Bluing for custom gunmakers. I do not do double barrels in class because of all the possible problems. I do teach the complete methods for rust and nitre bluing. I have room for two student starting the last week in June in Livingston, Montana. Here are the details: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=474289#Post474289

In Class, parts ready to card, perhaps the third coat, at least 3 more to go.

I've been using this brand of wheel for more than 3 decades. This is a brand new spare I purchased more than 20 years ago. It may give you some notion of the manufacturer to source.

End Label of box, note it is Straight Steel, #16.643-1, 6", 4 rows of bristles, .003" wire diameter.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/07/17 04:36 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the wheel I'm now using and have used for many years. I run it in one direction and find that until the wires crush like this it is way too aggressive for the finish I'm looking for. The wheels take a lot of break in to achieve the correct softness.The speed they card at is also paramount to a super smooth and shiny finish.

In use carding a finely engraved scope ring half.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/07/17 05:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO, blacking fluid steel is very different than pattern-welded barrels. I use completely different types of wheels for each, and even yet different ones for Brown & White. Fluid steel is considerably easier, with the one exception being barrel prep, with the final grit being much higher. I have found that ragged wheels in some instances can leave scratches in the finish, and also lose considerable efficiency since Damascus and Twist require a little more aggressive carding, depending upon the rusting stage. It's much more of a build-up, tear-down process, necessary to achieve both pattern clarity and high contrast.

Just a little clarification between fluid steel and pattern-welded tubes, I also use a similar, six-inch wheel mounted in my drill press running in one direction for fluid steel. However, I don't use it for Damascus or Twist.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/07/17 08:19 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First reason I'm looking at adding a wheel to my option is arthritis. Carding with steel wool for much of the day hurts the next. When I get the Baldor set up and wheel on it, I'll make the wise choice and test on my own pieces first.

I've also got a slow-moving drill press to run if need be. The hold up as been the wheels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your Baldor runs 3250 rpm it would be way too fast for anything I would be carding.
Even 1750 is a might fast for my work.
Ken, maybe you could share with us what wheels you use for "pattern welded"
or damascus steel?

Last edited by SDH-MT; 05/07/17 09:40 PM. Reason: edit
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my pattern-welded barrel carding setup. The wheels are .003 wire, three inch diameter wheels with one inch wire length. One wheel has four rows, the other has two. They are mounted in VSR drills. The four row is used for the overall tubes, the two row specifically for rib joints and lump/hanger areas. The drills are leaning on the barrel fixtures, designed so the barrels can be rotated easily during the process. The steel comb and file cleaner are used to dress the wheels between each set. So far, those wheels have done around 40 sets.

With the tubes mounted with breech to the left, and working from the center of the set, wheel rotation when working towards the breech is clockwise, so they "roll off" when at the edge rather than coming down on it. Reverse for the muzzle, wheel spinning counter-clockwise.

I use corded drills, but when using cordless, it would typically take one entire battery charge (18 volt Dewalt) to do one set. The paint brush is for dusting after carding.

Once done with the wheels, it's important to go over the tubes with 0000 steel wool. They should feel slick. Areas with "drag" need additional carding, either with the steel wool or with a wheel.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/09/17 06:45 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

THANKS KEN~~~

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
If your Baldor runs 3250 rpm it would be way too fast for anything I would be carding. Even 1750 is a might fast for my work.

I found a variable speed controller from Harbor Freight that states it will work for 15amp and below motors. In a demonstration video, the fellow is using it with a router table. The Baldor is not in front of me to look right now, but I also have a slower drill press I can use when I get the wheels.

https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Wish I could make a trip to Montana for one of your classes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Graham
....I found a variable speed controller from Harbor Freight that states it will work for 15amp and below motors. In a demonstration video, the fellow is using it with a router table....

Check first before you buy it. That style of variable speed control is meant for universal type electric motors, the kind with the brushes. If you have a Baldor, it probably has an induction motor. Best of luck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That speed controller will most likely NOT work with a buffer, especially not a Baldor.
I ran into the same issue several years ago, where I wanted to slow down buffers and belt sanders. I called several companies that specialize in custom made motor controllers, they all stated that trying to electronically control the speed on single phase motors, would quickly burn the motors up.
I finally solved the issue by going with 3 phase motors and adding a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). Now I can go as slow as 1 RPM or as fast as the motor is rated with no loss of HP, and no fear of burning up the expensive motors. Three belt sanders and two buffers in the shop, now all with VFDs and 3 phase Baldor motors. Dont know how I ever lived without it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.