April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, Southern Sport, Argo44, bushveld), 841 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,755
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can "Kill two birds with one stone" by buying an infrared thermometer that has the feature of allowing a K type thermocouple to be attached. You can go up to fairly high temps that way. I got mine off EBay.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/08/17 04:35 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My nitre bluing set-up.
Reuseable stainless steel wires with like sized screws in place.

Stainless steel tank (with lid) on propane burners (2), wires in tank and thermo steady at 600*.

Completed nitre blued screws and small parts to the left side of completed rust bluing.

All parts for a custom Hagn actioned .30-06

There are still two benches open for Metal Prep, Rust & Nitre Bluing class the last week in June, in Montana just when the rivers should be coming down to fishable! My work shop in located 1/4 mile from the Famous Yellowstone River~~

Sidelock
Sidelock

El Garro

The PID controller has adjustments for +/- 10 deg F. So it will bounce around in that 20 deg range, as far as learning, I dont think its learned much

I really like the fact that I dont have to babysit the nitre tank, turn it on, set the temp, go do something for an hour while it gets to temp, nitre blue, turn it off.

Just wish I could find a larger melting pot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All this has gotten me thinking. Rather than using my kiln, I'm considering using the burner I use for my vertical barrel boiling tank. It's a high output wok burner using natural gas. It's in my basement, so I've ordered a higher CFM exhaust fan for my ventilation system. I have a large cast iron Dutch Oven to put the salts or lead in. It should be able to go up to 830 with no problem. I should be able to shoot the temp easily with my infrared thermometer.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I usually warm the salts to the melting point on an electric burner then put them in the kiln at a set temperature. Many ways to skin a cat. I like this method because I do not need to watch it that close and can be multitasking.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all your input and pics everyone, reading between the lines it would seem we would all like to keep the pot at a constant temp so we can concentrate on the colour rather than juggling temp controls, it makes sense really.
The electric hob is here now but I ended up finishing the parts on the gas stove to save time, as soon as the bench is clear and there's time to do some experiments, I'll give it a go and see how good (or bad ) the temp control is. I'm tempted to try the pid controls but may get an electric lead melting pot and fit the sensor and controller to that, hopefully I'll find a way to save some time and produce consistent colours.

Rust never sleeps !
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182373517874

one of these kits is on its way. I'll try it on the cheap hotplate and see how it performs. There's more suitable temp probes on the same site which are a couple of quid so will use one of those rather than the type supplied. If it's successful it will end up fitted to a lead melter.
It won't do too high a temp but should be ideal for blues. If I need to go higher I'll use gas and my twin channel k type digital thermometer used on the caustic tank.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where do you plan to attach the thermocouple? Will you put it in the salts?

That's somewhat similar to the one I bought for my kiln, except mine has more components since it's 220 volt.

Regards
Ken

Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi ken, yes, will make a bracket to hold it to the rear of the pot. Won't use the type that comes with the kit as I have the fine wire type.
I hope it works after all this smile
Saw a Lyman big dipper lead pot at a good price but can't contact the seller until Tuesday as it's bank holiday weekend over here.

Rust never sleeps !
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.