April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

You sir have a talent. I have re-done several barrels, and not well. You and Ken can have my share. smile

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
You sir have a talent.

Thank you, but you're too kind. They're taking me longer than I want them to; still working out the details of the process I like, and acquiring better tooling. Practice, practice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you looking for "Constructive Criticism"?. If so, anything I point out will be offered with a solution. If not, feel free to decline my offer. If you prefer, we can do it by PM.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/18/17 11:15 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Are you looking for "Constructive Criticism"?. If so, anything I point out will be offered with a solution.

Yes, I am interested in constructive criticism, and solution recommendations. I am not in the position to attend a school per se.

Feedback here, on in PM, is fine with me. I wish to qualify upfront however that my means are limited, my interest in the craftsmanship of this process is high, I've done three sets and wish to do more, and someday perform a modest amount of this work for others as a second career.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK,

A few points. First, the good. Pattern clarity is fine, with no egregious faults visible. I can't tell by the pic, but the pattern should go all the way to the rib, without any dark lines between the pattern and the rib. Tell me if a line is present and I can offer a solution.

Now the bad, but not too bad. Your crolle is nowhere near filled. Too much intermittancy and light lines. The fortunate thing is you have an example of nicely filled crolle by looking at your first effort. You should strive for the same results. This goes back to a point I made earlier, smaller crolle requires many more cycles. Not only rustings, but etchings as well. How many cycles of each did you perform? For me, three iron often takes over 20 rustings and four or five etches. I would judge your barrels to be about half done, still needing the all-important light rustings to fill the crolle and bring out contrast.

The other negative I see is the rib. These ribs have very nice patterns, yours is nowhere near visible. Again, more cycles. Also, I see what may be the beginnings of streaks, which are major faults to be avoided, mostly by proper prep and carding.

All-in-All a worthy effort, and once these issues are addressed you'll be much happier with your result. You can just continue with the cycles as they are now, and progress until the issues have been resolved.

Or, you can reject my critique and be happy with them as they are.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/18/17 11:58 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Terrific council. A few questions for clarification:

* What order to the alternating rust/etch do you subscribe to? For example, multiple rustings (browning or boiling), and then a single etch after a certain number? Or, rust, etch, rust, etch, etc? I have tried it both ways.

* Wax or lacquer at the end?

* Do you coat the bores, lug and/or lumps with anything to save having the clean them up at the end. I'd prefer to not have to do so much clean up.

To answer your questions:

* I did about half as many passes as you state is needed for 3 iron.

* I have pattern all the way to the rib, and along the sides of the rib, but poor photography skills/environment. I use black plastic putty knives with a bevelled edge to press steel wool into the area between the barrels and ribs for carding.

* The rib itself is showing pattern, faintly.

Thank you. Very kind to provide this feedback.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, an initial etch before the first cycle. After that, I etch each time before I dilute the solution by half. Usually, after three to five rusting cycles. So, generally, for three iron it's five etches with around 20 rustings, with the fifth etch at the end. Sometimes more cycles and etches, whatever I think is necessary. It's all subject to how the pattern and contrast are developing. Once I can barely see the pattern, it's time for the etch.

Lacquer, allow ample drying time, then Renaissance Wax. Spraying lacquer is better than brushing.

I coat with shellac, it's easily removable with alcohol.

Easy on the rib and rib edges, they won't be so bright and it'll allow the pattern to build. Be aggressive with rib joints.

Regards
Ken

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Things are getting better, rusting to the point of barely seeing the pattern, and then an etch. It looked well done, and I lacquered it, however it's darkened more than I expected and I think I'll need to strip the lacquer and etch again.

Thoughts for today are how to estimate the lacquered/waxed end result appearance, while the barrels are completely dry. Additionally, I've found it difficult to stock the etchant on the entire barrel quickly enough to not risk the production of some irregularities in the contrast.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're omitting two steps. After the rustings, the barrels need to be cured, usually by soaking in an oil, then they are degreased, polished, and finally lacquered.

Etchant is best used in a tank, such as a PVC tube. I believe Stallones has said he brushes his on, so it must be a matter of technique. I brush on vinegar for a clean up, I do it very quickly.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/23/17 12:33 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You're omitting two steps. After the rustings, the barrels need to be cured, usually by soaking in an oil, then they are degreased, polished, and finally lacquered.

OK, now I see. Yes, missed that in the written process. It wasn't discussed with the fellow who shared his process with me, so I lost track of that.

Etchant is best used in a tank, such as a PVC tube.

I use a PVC chamber for an etchant tank.

Starting to get a little better I think.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.