March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you to all who have started and contributed to past threads on damascus. I finished my first set a short while ago, and had a great bunch of fun doing it. An experienced fellow was kind enough to talk through my process, and I think I have a plan for going forward. Maybe, if so blessed, this could be a second career to keep me busy down the road. Feedback was very good at the Southern, which was very much appreciated.

Pardon the poor photography with the shadows next to the rib. This is two bar from an L.C. Smith. Starting work on a similar set shortly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent for a first effort. No visible flaws in the picture. I recommend lacquering the tubes, then following up with Renaissance Wax. Good choice on tubes, 2-iron generally colors well, 3-iron usually requires quite a few more cycles to completely fill the crolle.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Excellent for a first effort. No visible flaws in the picture. I recommend lacquering the tubes, then following up with Renaissance Wax.

Thanks Ken. I went with Formby Tung Oil, gloss. Next round I plan to take a look at Briwax. I know some also like to use Watco Danish Oil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, tung oil actually has a brownish tint. Pour some in a white cup and you'll see what I mean. I went through that, all that labor and then using a coating that reduces contrast. Didn't make sense to me.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, I see. Thanks. The Briwax I want to try is clear. Didn't have lacquer on hand at the time.

Thankfully, a pair of L.C. Smith elder statesmen said it looked factory quality, that too much contrast for this particular specimen would have had too much contrast. I appreciate that perspective, historically accurate or not.

What fun to learn this process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm of a different opinion, as it's impossible for anyone living to have seen what the barrels looked like fresh from the factory.

I suspect the tastes of the day favored high contrast and very defined patterns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Makes sense. Personally, I don't care for browned barrels, regardless of the historical or geographical validity of the look. Unless required to for some reason, I'll stick with black and white.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels look very nice and appropriate to your gun.

I like both black and white and browned versions of Damascus and treasure the one Kith Kearcher restored damascus gun I have from my father. Seeing this thread makes me want to load some shells and take it out to the skeet range

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
The barrels look very nice and appropriate to your gun.

Thank you, Sir.

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Seeing this thread makes me want to load some shells and take it out to the skeet range

Sounds like a great idea!

I've got another set to do from an Elsie hammer gun, and then a set from an English gun, the Alfred Field I've been trying to learn about in another thread.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finished the Alfred Field set last night. Tight pattern and a challenge. Need to set up some decent photography assets. Looks better in person.

Drew, is this 3 Iron Oxford?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.