March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (dukxdog, SKB, Marc Ret, Argo44, LGF, Ian Forrester), 837 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

My first post on this forum, I'm looking forward to participating! And I need some advice.
This nice old European shotgun followed me home from the Calgary gun show. I'd like to know more about it. All I know is that the 16 ga. barrels are German Krupp steel, both the 28" set and the 32" set are choked R skeet and L extra full, the original 65MM chambers have been lengthened to 70MM (2-3/4") and the only serial number is "5" on the underside of both barrels and the action flat. It bears no makers name, and very few proof marks. I could not find matching proof marks anywhere on line when doing the usual Google search. It is very well made, light, and the action is still crisp and solid. There is no rust on or in the barrels and no significant wear on moving parts. Excellent shape for a gun I estimate at 100 years old. It will become my bird gun when hunting grouse, partridge and pheasant with pointing dogs.
Can you shed any light on this guns history or maker?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Longwalker
Welcome on your first posting
I am looking through my proofmark info, nothing yet
Again, welcome
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

what you have is a very nice germanic style hammer gun...the markings are unknown to me as well...you are in the right place though to find more about this fine gun...suggest you have the barrel walls measured in front of the chambers and 7 to 9 inches down from the muzzles. so long as you have at least 90 thousands of barrel wall in front of the chambers and 30 thousands down from the muzzles, you should be good to go with low pressure one ounce loads.. if you can import rst brand shells, they are highly recommended for guns like yours...enjoy...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I FOUND NOTHING IN THE"STANDARD DIRECTORY OF PROOF MARKS" BOOK

Sidelock
Sidelock

That one has got me too. All my books only list marks applicable to the C.I.P. (Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms). So that rules out Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Hungary, Yugoslav, (the usual suspects). So I'm wondering if it is one of the other European countries that are not C.I.P. registered such as Denmark or the Netherlands. They will have some sort of Proof House but not one with acceptable standards to be C.I.P. registered. I'm sure someone will come up with something. As a last resort send photos to one of the British Proof Houses http://gunproof.com/ for clarification as someone there is bound to know and they are there to assist. Lagopus.....

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

someone on another forum said the rampant lion was a pre-1926 Brescia Italy mark. Seem possible?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: ed good
.suggest you have the barrel walls measured in front of the chambers and 7 to 9 inches down from the muzzles. so long as you have at least 90 thousands of barrel wall in front of the chambers and 30 thousands down from the muzzles, you should be good to go with low pressure one ounce loads..

exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, I have a bore diameter gauge and can measure the outside at the same spot, so I should be able to determine the barrels thickness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

barrel wall measuring can be tricky...to be super safe, suggest you find a gunsmith with the proper tools and knowledge to confirm that this old gun is a safe shooter with modern ammo...thanks for bringing us something we have not seen before...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, please look VERY closely on the upper rib of the gun for any markings,
Thank you
This is interesting
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked from Russia to Denmark AND EVERY OTHER etc and find nothing, not Italia or Espana either. Mystery

Last edited by Stallones; 04/26/17 03:24 PM.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.