March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus, two strains of browns were introduced into the U.S. waters in the late 19th Century. The Loch Leven as you noted, but in addition, the"von Behr" strain from Germany.

Left to right: The eponymous Hardy Perfect, first produced in 1891, 3 1/8", 3 3/8" and 2 7/8". Note the ball bearings.
English guns have nothing over the quality of the old Hardy reels. Tight Lines, Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The history of trout introduction in America is fascinating. Lots of mixing as far as species and strains. I remember fishing the Bighorn Mountains when I was young, most of the trout found were Brookies introduced from the East, the original Rainbows and Cutthroats were rare, but you could still find a few, and in addition there were Lake Trout still found in the lakes.

Browns were/are common in the Owens River East of the Sierra Nevada, you had to go to higher elevations to find the native Golden Trout.

About 20 years ago there was a wild Brookie caught here in Iowa, since then they're trying to reintroduce them. Browns are reproducing in some streams, but the Rainbows are strictly a stocked fish.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/26/17 07:56 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lagopus: I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever catching a brown out here in the Western states with quite that coloration. Ours seem much paler, w/o the rich golden hues, even on fairly big fish.

CitoriFeather16: I fished a used Phoenix silk line that I picked up in March for the very first time last Sunday and I was floored by how nice it was. The price for them (almost $300) always stopped me from buying one when I first started fishing silk (almost 25-years ago). Now I'm sorry I waited so long. I am going to try a new line dressing called Otter Butter on it next trip. From everything I've read, it is a significant improvement over mucilin and should float the line for almost 7-hours of continuous use. Really looking forward to that.

Gil: Hardy Perfects may truly be the ultimate expression of what a fly reel could and should be. I have owned and used many and they are all simply stunning in form and function. I'm probably not quite done with them yet, but I'm on sabbatical for a while as I learn about our older domestic reels. Old Pfluegers have been a revelation for me, and I just got my first Shakespeare Russell today (a pre-1935 Model 1893). I'm looking forward to learning more about them all through actual use.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/26/17 10:18 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The coloration of a brown trout varies significantly depending on the time of year and the composition of the stream bottom, e.g., freestone/sand or a stream bottom of mud/detritus.

The old Pflueger reels' drag can be vastly improved by milling out an opening in the side of the frame to allow you to apply finger pressure against the spool, giving the same effect of 'palming the rim' on more modern reels.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I've had an old raised pillar hard rubber sideplated Leonard half-handle and a Salmon vom Hofe. The Leonard went the way of dialing for dollars instant cash. One American reel worth pursuing is the old Johnson Magnetic. It wasn't a bad reel, fairly smooth and with fewer screws to loosen and lose than the old Pfluegers. (which I've also fished wink )
Best, Gil

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gil:

I'll look into that one.

My latest acquisition:

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/27/17 08:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was a boy if you were into outdoor sports you would most likely be both a hunter and a fisherman. Where we lived we fished in the spring and Summer for salt water fish like Grey trout, Specaled trout, Rock Fish and later Summer flounder. When unable to hit the Chesapeake bay you might drop a line for small or large mouth bass or with small children find a hot spot for crappie. I even learned how to fly fish using small popping jigs for bass. In the Fall it was birds both upland and waterfowl with one week of deer hunting.

Somewhere or some time along the way there was a big disconnect for most of my friends. If it was 70-80% who both fished and hunted in my youth it can't be much over 10-20% who do both these days and maybe only 1-2% who hunt only. By far I have more fishing only friends these days. I figure the cost and effort to keep dogs for hunting along with the decline in places to hunt was a major reason.

I feel sorry for those who never get to see a marsh at first light. Never get teased by a black duck which makes five passes just out of range or never watched a goose slip air under its wings to land in your decoys. Just like I would hate to never feel the hit of a big fish when it attacks the "bait"".

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, there are photos in some of Joe Brooks's books depicting the Johnson Reel with him holding one.
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Slough Creek cutt, August, 2000.
The rod is an Art Weiler reproduction of a Garrison 202E, the reel a Hardy knockoff (since replaced by a Peerless). The fly a size 18 trico pattern on 7x.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 04/28/17 03:45 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KYJon: Amen! I couldn't imagine doing one w/o the other.

DaveinMaine: Gorgeous rod and fish! See any bears up there?

Gil: Thank you!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/28/17 03:52 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.