April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (67galaxie, 1 invisible), 943 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have always used acetone followed by alcohol to strip stocks and forends. It works really well. However this time I have a forend with a bone tip and I am concerned with damaging the bone tip if I submerse it in these solvents. I testied a small spot on the back of the trigger guard and saw no issue after a short time. Do any of you have experience with soaking bone in either of these chemicals?

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently refinished an old stock that was virtually black from age. The forend has a horn insert. This stock is 130 years old and the horn inlay was attached with hide glue. it came off easily enough with warm water and a little heat. I felt much better about removing the old finish with the horn removed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David is right, the horn tip should have been fixed with animal glue. I have soaked these in solvent and they have stayed put but since they are usually easily removed using nothing but patience and warm water, it may be sensible to remove the tip and re-fix afterwards. No need to use animal glue then, epoxy works much better.
The only snag is if someone has re-fixed the tip with PVA (white glue). That could give you a headache! It MIGHT dissolve in the solvent, no way of telling until you try.

Sidelock
Sidelock

refinishing 130 year old wood with patina is a sin...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good

A sin you have never been involved in?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

And what is torching a 100 year old action with acetylene/oxygen?

You hypocrite.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

more nonsense...

just a reminder, i do no gun work of any kind...

nor do i kill song birds...

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 09:57 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

does anyone here wish to discuss why it is not a good idea to remove the patina from 130 year old wood?

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 11:29 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is an English gun and if it had been used for these past decades, it would have been regularly updated by the maker. But instead it spent a very long time in someone's closet just getting old. The finish on this stock can hardly be called patina. My choice was 1) restock the gun with a nice blank of English walnut that I have waiting around for a project, or 2) refinish the existing stock and see what might be under the "patina." In any case this gun will be a shooter for me and no matter what I do the gun will never be worth what I'll wind up in it. I don't buy guns that I expect to flip. I buy things I want to keep forever. I committed no sin by refinishing this stock. You, however, should take the log out of your own eye, to use Biblical analogies, before accusing anyone of committing a gun sin. The refinished damascus barrels look really beautiful, by the way. The gun has never been anywhere near an acetylene torch though. Now back to the original topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

well david, my point is that antique wood finishes are worth preserving, especially if they are 130 years old...obviously, you think otherwise...

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 02:37 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed: did you ask your master gunsmith to refinish the buttstock and torch the action on this "antique" NID? Or not "antique" enough?

Please stop

Sidelock
Sidelock

well drew, this looks like a gun that might have passed thru my hands many years ago...in any event, an ithaca nid is certainly not an antique by any definition, but yours...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or don't stop. What would your "antique" cut off be? How about this Parker you offered for sale?

A member of the Parker forum states Ed Lander has extended the chambers of 10 2 frame VH and Trojan Parkers. Do you know where those guns can be found? Your opinion as to if that is an appropriate "upgrade"?
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20919&page=3

Sidelock
Sidelock

Patina on antique furniture is one thing but English guns of quality were often returned to their makers to have their wear on finish renewed so there would never be any gun patina. Perhaps it might be different on a muzzle loader but doubles are expected to be kept in good repair with a nice looking finish protecting them for future use.

I would strip and refinish the original wood. I expect a little heat will remove the tip easily. From there refinishing can be a nice way to spend a few hours a night getting it exactly to your likening. And you are smart enough not to sand a stock to death. Done properly a good finish adds beauty and value to a nice gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drew: whatever your problem is, i fail to see how it involves me...or the topic of this thread...

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 03:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY: agreed, original antique wood finishes should be preserved...

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 03:19 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finding a Vintage gun with an original, antique wood finish in a high enough condition that it warrants preservation, is like finding the same gun to have original, high condition Case Colors. The examples are few and far between...

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The topic is refinishing a vintage gun, and this masterpiece by your "master gunsmith", and sold by you, is the problem Ed.

If you would please stop posting purposefully provocative and transparently self-promotional comments and inquiries, which are insulting to our intelligence, I would be most happy to stop posting images, of which their are an abundance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drew: are you suggesting that if i advertise a gun for sale elsewhere, and that gun does not meet your standard of cosmetic acceptability, then i am some how at fault for offering it for sale?

and please do stop insulting us by trashing this thread with your off topic posts...if you wish to discuss your issue further, then lets take it private or perhaps you would like to start another thread?

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/17 05:11 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, ed. You have the right to offer your crap anywhere it is legal. But, don't expect your drivel to be accepted here. You underestimate the knowledge of the base here, badly.

Why don't you just go away? Far away, hypocrite.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

drivel? since when is advocating for the preservation of antique wood finishes considered drivel?

Sidelock
Sidelock

drivel? since when is advocating for the preservation of antique wood finishes considered drivel?

Your drivel is defending your "master gunsmith" Ed Landers' trashing of S X S actions with "his" torch.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

and your drivel is perpetuating this torch myth...

Sidelock
Sidelock

myth noun: plural noun: myths

1. a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

synonyms: folk tale, folk story, legend, tale, story, fable, saga, mythos, lore, folklore, mythology
"ancient Greek myths"

2. a widely held but false belief or idea.

I think the torching would be considered history, not mythology

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for ruining another thread, Ed. Your passive-aggressive BS has grown tiresome to rest of us. Please go away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gr:tis not i who trashed this thread by going off topic with wacky posts that have nothing to do with preserving antique wood finishes...

and if you find some posts here tiresome, as i sometimes do, then just ignore them...as i sometimes do... with a yawn...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed: we all get that you post for your own malicious entertainment, but to review:
1. Tom specifically asked about the risk of damage to a horn tip while refinishing a stock.
2. He did not ask for our/your opinion about refinishing stocks.
3. YOU said "refinishing 130 year old wood with patina is a sin"

How did you direct your master gunsmith to refinish this stock? It was clearly stripped of the original finish. Was it his idea to pound the doll's head to tighten the action?

Please stop and I will most thankfully do the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drew: your post above is another fantasy of your own creation...mostly negative assumptions and accusations, with no foundation in truth or reality...perhaps it is you who should stop...besides this is getting tiresome...

Last edited by ed good; 04/26/17 11:32 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

come on Ed, that was pitiful. Projection much?
You did not have that gun for sale?
Just stop and we can both take a nap wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a crime to knowingly buy stolen merchandise for either personal use or for resale.
"IF" it is a Sin to refinish a 130 year old stock then it is also a sin to knowingly but the same. This simply gives encouragement to the "Sinner". PERIOD

Actually that peened "Doll's Head" in the last picture is not a Doll's Head at all but a simple rib extension. It is of uniform thickness throughout its length (At least it was prior to peening) & does not have a "Head". Still a crime though.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

piper, you too seem to have embraced a fantasy here...how do you know the rib extension has been peened?

Sidelock
Sidelock

and drew, what has really become pitiful here is your effort to create reality out of fantasy...

you post images here of unknown origin, then make unsubstantiated negative assumptions and accusations and then demand that i explain and confirm your fantasies...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well obviously something has been done to it unless it was totally shabbily built. Look at the gap where the extension fits into the cut in the frame. Of course I suppose someone could have taken a big coarse file to it & flattened the rear, But WHY. Filing removes metal & would make the fit looser, peening expands metal to give it a closer fit. Also if you look closely at the picture you can see the expanded metal on the top of the extension, normal for peening, abnormal for filing or grinding. I did put in over 35 years as a machinist, I can generally see the difference in peening & metal removal even from a picture, if I could look at it up close it would of course remove all doubt.
What do you see that says it "WAS NOT PEENED???"
Just present facts, don't try to snowball me, I've been going down the tracks for a long time, seen a lot of water run over the dam & seen a lot of Uncouth Fixings.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

piper: i see no evidence of peening or not peening...that is my point...none of us knows much about this gun...to claim otherwise is fantasy...

the facts are, i see what is perhaps an early parker trojan with rib extension...and it appears to be a well worn old gun with little external finish remaining...what do you see?

Last edited by ed good; 04/26/17 03:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and your drivel is perpetuating this torch myth...

Ed, anyone who cares to take the time to read your old posts knows that you have long been a proponent of torch coloring guns.

I believe the only "myth" part is where you blamed it all on "Master Gunsmith Old Ed Lander". It would appear that a disproportionate number of guns sold by you have been "enhanced" by dubious techniques such as torch coloring, peening, top levers bent so that they appear to be right of center, etc. How do you explain all that?

And one thing that definitely is NOT a myth is that you, Ed Good, have repeatedly voiced your support for anti-2nd Amendment politicians, and gun bans and restrictions on certain classes of firearms:

too many people in this country possess too many semi automatic firearms...including the police.

elementary statistical theory and the law of probability indicates that the only meaningful solution to the growing number of misuses of that class of firearms is to reduce the number of semi automatic firearms now in wide distribution nationwide.

reducing the amount of anything will reduce its misuse.
Post # 400299

and for those who argue there should be no restriction or prohibition of any class of arms, anywhere...well that is a rather selfish, self focused and unrealistic view, in my opinion....

....is a weak attempt at demagoguery.

next question:

does the second amendment prohibit state and local governments from regulating the keeping of arms by the people?

i believe it does not...what say you?

http://news.yahoo.com/celebrities-demand-removal-confederate-symbol-mississippi-flag-225831525.html

if mississippians can have a dialog regarding restriction of the display of "the flag", then why cant we have a dialog here regarding the restriction of semi auto handguns?

guess no body here has the balls to answer my question:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?

Would you care to take this discussion private Ed? Too bad! I'd rather do it right here in the open so everyone knows you are an anti-gunner... which is my opinion of you based upon your very own words.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed;
I also see what appears to be a Parker Trojan with rib extension. I also see a big gap at the rear of that extension. As the shoulders of the rib at the front of the extension are tight against the frame the rear of the extension DID NOT wear in ordinary opening & closing of the gun. In my 79 years upon this earth I have never seen a Parker, even a Trojan, with that sloppy a fit. The metal thus had to go somewhere. In the pictures YES I definitely see signs of what appear to be peening. I have never to my knowledge seen this gun or know anything at all about it other than the picture. I stated my reasons for this which anyone who knows guns or even metal could understand.
"IF" you have actual, factual evidence that gun was not peened then PLEASE do state them, but this HOGWASH RUN AROUND just Don't CUT IT. All I'm going to say unless you have some real facts to produce, then I am willing to listen.
All I am doing is committing on the picture, not taking sides For or Agin anyone, just calling the picture as I see it, & I feel I am qualified to comment.
Take it for whatever its worth.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, please do call it as you see it. that is fair...as for who worked on this gun, and what was done to it, i have no knowledge nor recollection...over the years, i have sold some well worn parker trojans...this could very well be one of them...

but, what is not fair is to do what drew does...insinuate that i or any other specific person worked on this gun, without any factual knowledge.

and with regard to parker trojans...as i recall the rib extension was an early feature that was found to be of no value and hence done away with around 1918...as such, the condition of the rib extension has no bearing on the tightness nor function of the gun...so why the big deal about the rib extension?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller: Ed refuses to acknowledge that he offered that gun for sale, and has now implied that I lifted the image and have falsely attributed the gun/image to him. It is my recollection that there was a discussion about that gun on the PGCA Forum, and will try an 'Ed Good' search to find it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

drew, as stated above...this could very well be one of them...

and so what if it is?

this is really getting tiresome...

next thing ya know keet da troll will surface...

Last edited by ed good; 04/26/17 07:47 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, it is simply dishonest of you to act as if you don't know that you sold this gun. The pictures of this same Trojan have been posted here many times to remind everyone of the tarted up crap you sell. There have been many other similar pictures of other crap you sold... guns with grotesque acetylene torch color burned metal actions... guns with bent top levers which made it appear at first glance that the top lever was right of center... guns that were photographed slightly opened so that the top lever was to the right... etc., etc.

So where did Drew insinuate that you or any other person worked on the crap guns you frequently sell? It was you who told us that Master Gunsmith Old Ed Lander does a lot of your work. Why is it not fair for Drew or anyone else to repeat what you yourself has said repeatedly over the years? Do you think we all have short memories?

Here's a link to an old thread that contains numerous other links to other threads documenting the very things you'd like us all to forget. Once a Troll... Always a Troll, right Ed?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348207&page=1

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

always a troll, right keet?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, it is simply dishonest of you to act as if you don't know that you sold this gun. The pictures of this same Trojan have been posted here many times to remind everyone of the tarted up crap you sell. There have been many other similar pictures of other crap you sold... guns with grotesque acetylene torch color burned metal actions... guns with bent top levers which made it appear at first glance that the top lever was right of center... guns that were photographed slightly opened so that the top lever was to the right... etc., etc.

So where did Drew insinuate that you or any other person worked on the crap guns you frequently sell? It was you who told us that Master Gunsmith Old Ed Lander does a lot of your work. Why is it not fair for Drew or anyone else to repeat what you yourself has said repeatedly over the years? Do you think we all have short memories?

Here's a link to an old thread that contains numerous other links to other threads documenting the very things you'd like us all to forget. Once a Troll... Always a Troll. Yes you are Ed.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348207&page=1

Hey Ed, remember when I took a break from this place for several months after my Dad died? Remember how you said that you missed me?

Last edited by keith; 04/26/17 05:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's your post # 380744 from 10/17/14 Ed:

keith: where are you? your posts are missed.

Ed, it isn't trolling to remind everyone that you are an anti-2nd Amendment troll by quoting you in your own words.

It is however trolling to post crap like this on a firearms related forum:

gary: one of the issues regarding our right to keep and bear arms is that the constitution does not define "a well regulated militia". so logically, we have to assume that the second amendment is referring to the militia, as it existed when the amendment was adopted.

now, that militia no longer exists. it has been replaced, by local and state police forces. what used to be the local militia at the local company level, became the state national guard, with regional armories. since the end of the civil war, state national guards have been transformed into ready reserve federal military units. and since 1898, those military units have been increasingly utilized by the federal government to go overseas and particapate in foreign military adventures. mean while, the closest thing that we have today to a well regulated militia is our local police force.

and to claim that all citizens who possess arms are members of the militia and as such have firearms ownership rights protected by the second amendment is wishful thinking.

and for those who argue there should be no restriction or prohibition of any class of arms, anywhere...well that is a rather selfish, self focused and unrealistic view, in my opinion....

....is a weak attempt at demagoguery.

Shall we also discuss your repeated posts where you said that the extreme anti-gun ex NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg would be a good candidate for President? Then you can tell us that wasn't trolling either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

sure keet, troll along...nobody cares but you...

Sidelock
Sidelock

You didn't answer my questions Ed.

Say, what are the business hours for your gun shop? As a licensed FFL holder, you do have a shop and regular business hours as required by law, don't you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

nobody cares but you...

Sidelock
Sidelock

You keep responding Ed. Apparently, you must care. Why do your anti-gun words bother you so much? Is it because you'd like your customers to think that you actually support their rights to own and use firearms?

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Sidelock
Sidelock

nobody cares but you...

Wrong, again.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

keet: for the most part i dont care what you post here...

Last edited by ed good; 04/26/17 08:27 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed do you care to post your home address? I suspect there are several folks who would welcome the chance to meet with you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

durgs: ah may be crazy...but ah aint dat crazy...

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're not crazy Ed. Crazy is just soooo politically incorrect.

Profound mental illness would be a better description of your behavior, in my opinion.

Are you forgetting that your address in Francistown, N.H, has been posted here a couple times in the past? I won't post it, but it is listed on the BATFE Public Information FFL List, and anyone can Google it. I was merely interested whether you are complying with the law yet by having regular business hours, which was a question on your application for the FFL?

These quotes are from our friend Dave K., from the old Misfires thread "WHERE IS ED GOOD'S GUN SHOP?" They questioned whether your one bedroom house met the requirements for a legal Firearms Business.

Originally Posted By: Dave K
From the ATF:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-73-13.pdf

One of the requirements under 18 U.S.C. 923(d)(1) for approval of a dealers license is that the
applicant has in a State premises from which he conducts business subject to a license or from
which he intends to conduct such
business within a reasonable period of time. The term
business premises is defined n 26 CFR 178.11 to mean: The property on which firearms or
ammunition importing, manufacturing or dealing business is or will be conducted. A private
dwelling, no par
t of which is open to the public, shall not be recognized as coming within the
meaning of the term.
The type of business premises, as well as the business hours, is required
by 26 CFR 178.44 to be included on the application for a firearms dealers licen
se.

It is also provided in 18 U.S.C. 923(g) that the premises of a licensee may be entered during
business hours for the purpose of inspecting or examining records or documents required to be
kept as well as any firearms or ammunition kept or stored at su
ch premises

Originally Posted By: Dave K
" A private
dwelling, no part of which is open to the public, shall not be recognized as coming within the meaning of the term. The type of business premises, as well as the business hours, is required
by 26 CFR 178.44 to be included on the application for a firearms dealers license."

Ed what are your business hours ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

keet: sometimes you represent yourself here as a mean and vindictive individual who genuinely wishes me harm...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.