March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is out of sequence but this is exactly what I got back from Charlie Grace after he pre-carved it for me. (Plus the Unertl.) I had asked him to inlet it for me. His machine carving is so good that inletting is fairly easy.

I have done my own inletting in the past but, this time, time was an issue. I really wanted to be able to shoot it in matches this summer and Charlie is much, much faster than I am.

My goal when shaping the pattern stocks was to make sure that there was plenty of wood at this stage. It's easy to take wood off... really difficult to put back on.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

We all call him Chuck....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know... he and I go back about forty years, right after he got out of Trinidad. He's always been Charlie to our gang here in Michigan.

Love your book, "Custom Rifles in Black and White". I'm wearing it out.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know where you can get a back-up copy~~

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took a lot of pics as I did the stock. I'll add a few of my favorites.

This is a very rare pic with which I did no cropping or photoshopping. The butt stock all ready for final sanding.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I decided the stocks were ready for finishing, I soaked them down with mineral spirits to make sure they were clean. This is the first time I got a good look at the grain. I was happy with the results.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The fore end soaked witht mineral spirits.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm just an amateur at this although I've been doing it a long time. There's a long list of things I can't do which is why the gun is out to Chuck Grace's for bluing and checkering.

However, I'm a fanatic on stock lines. I will pose the gun every which way and just stare. "How can I make this better?" I dig up pics of Jerry Fisher rifles and try to decide why he's so much better.

Here is the gun, upside down in my vise in my messy shop, and I took this whilst I was just looking...

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I regard the factory safety as an unsightly lump. After sufficient cogitation, I got a spare and ground and filed on it till I was happy. Then I had Kip Wood checker it for me in 40 lpi. As shown it needs the edges chamfered or rounded off and some polishing. Anyway, I liked this better.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Charlie Grace is currently checkering it for me. Here is picture he sent of the pistol grip.

Dick Wright
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.