November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
9 registered (gunsaholic, jake van dyke, King Brown, Marks_21, bladeswitcher, 1 invisible), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13263 Members
9 Forums
30902 Topics
414118 Posts

Max Online: 462 @ 08/05/16 08:13 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#478267 - 04/20/17 10:39 AM Looking for an English trigger guard
bsteele Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Sullivan, IN
I'm putting a pretty nice 16ga made by Westley Richards back together and I need a trigger guard. It is a straight grip stock double trigger gun from the mid 1880's. Engraving would be nice, but if not I can have some added.

Thanks
Bryndon
812-240-9801

#478280 - 04/20/17 11:27 AM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
pod Offline
Sidelock

Connecticut shotgun New Britain Conn. has them in there catalog.

#478303 - 04/20/17 02:58 PM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
bsteele Offline
Sidelock

I'm aware of those. The ones I've seen are cast steel and I'm concerned they might not take a charcoal blue? NECG has machined ones, but I'm kinda hoping to find one with engraving already on it and maybe some patina. I know it's a long shot, but I can hope can't I?

#478334 - 04/20/17 08:51 PM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
LeFusil Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: bsteele
I'm aware of those. The ones I've seen are cast steel and I'm concerned they might not take a charcoal blue? NECG has machined ones, but I'm kinda hoping to find one with engraving already on it and maybe some patina. I know it's a long shot, but I can hope can't I?

They were pretty much all cast steel when your gun was made. The steel used to make the furniture on these guns was usually cast from the collected metal shavings from machining, filing, etc. You don't have to charcoal blue the trigger guard anyway, a quality hot blue on the guard, top lever, floor plate will do just fine and be completely appropriate.

#478403 - 04/21/17 06:39 PM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
danross70 Offline
Sidelock

Loc: often in Traverse City MI
Call Hampel's Gun Shop in Traverse City, MI. (231) 946-5509. They have literally many thousands of gun parts. Joe is the parts guy. I gave them a non-functional sxs with such a trigger guard to part out within the last month. I bet Joe can find you one at a decent price.

#478424 - 04/21/17 09:53 PM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
bsteele Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! I will call them tomorrow

#478451 - 04/22/17 09:57 AM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
SDH-MT Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Montana
The originals were forged steel, not cast. Modern ones should be forged as well, or cold stamped.
Good luck finding an original, sounds like you've got a great lead. I have a few nice new ones from the sixties, but i think they are all single trigger?

#478462 - 04/22/17 11:44 AM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: SDH-MT]
LeFusil Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
The originals were forged steel, not cast. Modern ones should be forged as well, or cold stamped.
Good luck finding an original, sounds like you've got a great lead. I have a few nice new ones from the sixties, but i think they are all single trigger?

Huh. That's a new one. I've never seen forgings or cold stamped parts have so many inclusions and imperfections like most trigger guards tangs do. Hmmm. Or when they break....the exposed steel grain looks awfully like cast steel.

#478545 - 04/23/17 05:57 PM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: bsteele]
SDH-MT Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Montana
No wonder they broke…I don't remember ever seeing inclusions or imperfection, most break at the screw hole from ham handed removal. But you've probably seen many more than I.
Lynton McKenzie showed me raw forgings from the 19 century and how the guard return was sliced, with a chisel off of the bow in front of the tang. I've got several cold forged brand new guards here probably from Austria or Germany circa 1960s(?) made the same way.

#478577 - 04/24/17 07:57 AM Re: Looking for an English trigger guard [Re: SDH-MT]
eightbore Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Maryland
Cast or not cast, Tony's guards are used by professional stockers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2017 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.