April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fab500, RWG, Researcher, btbell), 1,058 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Figure out how long a time it takes for a 25' shot string to pass a single point at say 1000fps. Then calc how far a 40mph target travels in that same time.

then tell me again how that affects your shooting results

25 feet would be a pretty long string. Brister points out that at short range and slow target speed, string isn't much of a concern. On the other hand, he shows a 13 foot string at 40 mph and 50 yards from a magnum load of 4's. Of course these days, waterfowlers have less of a concern with string, because they're nearly all shooting steel or something as hard or harder that doesn't string much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd:

It's easy to see the actual dynamics.

1. Make a circle with your thumb and forefinger, like the 'OK' sign.

2. Extend a finger of the other hand behind it, so you see mostly the center knuckle.

3. Now tilt the finger so when you view it through the circle you see all of the finger from tip to bottom knuckle.

The circle is your pattern and the laying down finger is the ground.

It's simple as that, and has nothing to do with time of arrival of the shot pellets.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
....It's simple as that, and has nothing to do with time of arrival of the shot pellets.

I believe what you are saying is true. I wasn't referring to the time of arrival, just the different arc the flight of a slower shot would take as compared to the flatter arc of the generally higher velocity shot. I believe it was mentioned earlier that maybe 75% of the shot tended to be towards the front of the string.

Back to your explanation, a shot charge with zero stringing would show the same impact pattern against a flat angled surface. But, I think the duck on the water example was brought up because it's a way to visualize a shot string, not a two dimensional pattern spread at an angle. Then again, Larry mentioned likely short shot strings with notox loads, and it may have been a bit since some of us have had a chance to shoot lead at ducks.

If they clear the muzzle at the same velocity, there must be a change in velocity between individual shot to string the pattern, and I'm thinking usable pattern, not flyers outside of the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the past I disagreed with Wonko and believed that. Brister was a good final word on the issue with his neat truck pulled targets.

That said having read A.C. Jones in depth and using modelling software have come to the conclusion except in extreme case shot stringing is not the issue I once believed it to be. The effect is negligible.

1. The speed of the load except at extreme ranges (40 plus)
2. The angle of gunner to target (rarely a prefect 90 degrees in hunting situations)
3. The actual speed of the bird (while a bird maybe capable of 40 or whatever MPH it does not as a rule always fly at max speed)
4. The differences in shot string are not as pronounced when shooting the appropriate load for the given gauge (7/8 -20ga, 1-16ga, 1 1
/8 12ga
5. While a shot string does have some speedier at the front and slower at the rear pellets the core of the string is relative to the overall not that long

The value I see in the square load is that it helps you not overload a properly weighted game gun in a particular gauge (say 1 oz in a 6lb 16ga) with a shot load whose recoil will beat you to death.

Last edited by old colonel; 04/17/17 06:54 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

The old 96:1 ratio of gun to shot weight is still a better determination for controlling recoil than the square load. With the square load in a 16 being only .79 oz the 96 ;1 ratio would give you a gun of 4 3/4 lbs. If one plans on using 1 oz loads the the Ratio gives a 6 lb gun weight, far more comfortable with continuous use of ounce loads.
I really failed to see anything at all in the above link which was much applicable to shotguns. Also it would seem that even Black Gunpowder improved a lot over the next decades of use. 1000 atmospheres (14,700 psi) was stated to be the maximum achievable pressure in a closed cell vessel. Some 100 years after this was written sporting shotguns were proofed at a higher pressure, with black gunpowder, than this & it wasn't done under a closed cell situation either.

PS; This has been an interesting thread, glad you posted your question Stan. I hope we answered it sufficiently to the fact the writer of the article just didn't word it good & that it should have applied to each component of the load & not the entire load

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #478078 04/17/17 07:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Stan;
Yes some of those shots at late season doves could for sure exceed the three criteria.
I am though of the personal opinion that shot stringing has been blown way out of proportion to its actual affect on efficient shooting. As I recall figures show that at least 75% of the shot are in the front half of the string. Assume you start with a shot string 12 feet long at 40 yards & with some of the shot sleeves and/or buffers you reduce it to 10 feet. This is a reduction in length of more than 16%. This however in no way means you have a 16% more effective load. That last two feet of the string likely contained no more than 5% of the charge. They were the badly deformed laggards & flarers which were ineffective. These shot have been brought forward into the pattern but that important front half of the string has likely not been increased by any significant amount, but a string reduction of 16% does indeed make good advertizing.
When those three conditions are exceeded about all we can really do is "Use Enough Gun". This is why under those late season conditions you leave your beloved .410's at home & take more gun.

There are also 20-25 yard shots available on late season doves, Miller. The man who uses a .410 effectively in the field understands it's limits and does not stretch them. I kill limits of late season doves with my .410s, but the emphasis is on decoying and camouflage. It just usually takes a little longer because late season doves are much more wary and tenacious of life.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2-piper #478083 04/17/17 09:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
The old 96:1 ratio of gun to shot weight is still a better determination for controlling recoil than the square load. With the square load in a 16 being only .79 oz the 96 ;1 ratio would give you a gun of 4 3/4 lbs. If one plans on using 1 oz loads the the Ratio gives a 6 lb gun weight, far more comfortable with continuous use of ounce loads.
I really failed to see anything at all in the above link which was much applicable to shotguns. Also it would seem that even Black Gunpowder improved a lot over the next decades of use. 1000 atmospheres (14,700 psi) was stated to be the maximum achievable pressure in a closed cell vessel. Some 100 years after this was written sporting shotguns were proofed at a higher pressure, with black gunpowder, than this & it wasn't done under a closed cell situation either.

PS; This has been an interesting thread, glad you posted your question Stan. I hope we answered it sufficiently to the fact the writer of the article just didn't word it good & that it should have applied to each component of the load & not the entire load

I agree the rule of 96:1 is a good one. I do not posit the square load as it is commonly defined is a good is a great rule save an unintended side effect of not overloading you gun

Do not agree with your definition of a square load in common parlance. It is attune to 7/8 in 20, 1 in 16 etc.

Do agree the square load is hogwash as an idea of some sort of magic.

My point is it does little harm if it keeps people from overloading their particular gauge of gun.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

One man's 'overload' is another man's 'perfect' load.

When we used to shoot 32 yard trap for money the loads were known to be just a tad over square. Reason? It won.

I used to launch 1 3/8 oz. of plated #5 at 1330 fps for ducks. Worked well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: volleyfire
Some here seem to prefer ridicule over pertinent information. The dynamics of smoothbore shot is not a new topic. To believe that only modern information or personal experience is valid, proves the height of arrogance. Our ancestors exerted much more diligent study of the topic than is currently being employed... and they were quite educated.

Benjamin Robins wrote the "New Principles of Gunnery" in 1742.
He was a MATHEMATICIAN who revolutionized our understanding of ballistics. His work was based on Newton's principles, pendulum testing, and gunnery fire. His most important contribution was proof that a BALANCED load exceeded all others. He also addressed the FLUID nature of burning gunpowder moving a solid,
and the relationship of the MASS of a load to the bore.

There is much to be learned from old gunning treatises, including the fact that a load longer than the width of the barrel "Flew like a brick," which they knew, because they actually shot bar loads.

The square load is a point of reference, much like the center of a circle or the value of zero. Here is a link for anyone interested in studying testing which infers a principle.

The rest of you can find the same thing by shooting various lengths of cigarette filter with a rubber band. Wonko get someone to help you measure.

http://arc.id.au/RobinsOnBallistics.html

I was gonna call it a day on this but the above is just too stupid to pass. 1742 and bar shot? WOW!! I wonder what has happened in the last 400 or so years? Oh, yeah - modern information is bunk and filtered ciggies and rubber bands will tell you everything you need to know. I don't even know what you mean by "point of reference"? For what?
I don't want you to think I'm being facetious. I'm quite serious - you don't have a clue.
As far as measuring goes, vollyfire should get someone familiar with calcs in the low two digits to assist him in figuring his IQ.

The point here is that I can explain it to you, vollyfire, but you're really on your own understanding it since I certainly can't do that for you. Do you think that 500 years from now today's information will be more respected? And the researchers of 2600 even more slack than they are now? Compared to 1742 of course since that is the authenticity baseline we all now know.

And it continues to astound me that none here seem to have any understanding of how a shot column degenerates and the string develops. I suppose I expect too much from a general group that doesn't even understand how a choke restriction functions.

have a nice day

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd: The pellets actually don't clear the muzzle the at same velocity if any choke is present.

There's a velocity differential at the start.

Even if there is no choke, aerodynamic drag will spread the shot cloud out and introduce speed variations because the pellets initially are not flying in 'clean' air. They influence each other until they get spread out.

Hard pellets deform less, which results in less drag variation pellet to pellet. That's why they shoot tighter and string less.

The effect of shot stringing is both under and overplayed in the literature.

I did the math once and found that on a hard angle trap target at 27 yards handicap, during the time of shot cloud passage the target 'only' moved 3 inches. That's not much, right?

But consider that the target is only a bit over 4 inches wide. It moves almost a whole target diameter during cloud passage!

Does this matter? Not a hell of a lot, but it does reinforce the idea that things happen in 3 dimensions and rather makes the photos of Don Zutz holding a clay target over supposed 'voids' in a 2 dimensional pattern look a little foolish. The target does not experience that 'hole' unless it's glued to the pattern board.

Your nice neat 30" pattern circle becomes a tilted ellipse with eccentricity that increases with both target speed and target deflection, when viewed FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE TARGET.

In the final analysis, it's what the target experiences that matters.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.