March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#478080 04/17/17 08:48 PM
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all. Thought Id post an update on the repair of my 20ga Meriden double. My other post about stock making (in retrospect a ridiculous subject line) has hit a lull for multiple reasons. Mainly because I got sidetracked by my desire to see if I could figure out the operation of the firing mechanism. I did post a pic of a stock blank that I picked up from my cousin. Definitely a much better piece of wood than what came on it originally.

In my searching around for 20ga parts, I ran across someone who had many (maybe all) of the parts that I needed for my gun. Unfortunately I wasnt able to close the deal on them. Ironically these parts were off a gun that had a serial number immediately below mine. Maybe all hope is not yet lost.

One of the parts missing on my gun was the top lever arm but I did have one along with the locking bolt from a 12ga double. The locking bolt looked like it would work but the arm was definitely too large. Took some measurements of my gun and reduced the 12ga rod on my printer. Actually worked out pretty well and only have a few (I hope) adjustments to make. The arm has enough travel to move the bolt allowing the barrels to open about 95% of the time. I think Ive got this one figured out.

A bigger issue is that the arm needs to be modified to close the bolt so that the receiver locks up adequately. Ive taken some measurements and the bolt needs to travel about .03 to lock up tight. I think I might have this one figured out as well and need to make another arm to verify.

Of course tight is relative and right now I have about a .005 gap between the face and the left barrel and .006 on the right barrel. Below is a pic of the top lever when the bolt is fully engaged. Cant remember if this is a correct position or if this is where things end up after wear.

Its been interesting working through this. Certainly helps you appreciate people that do this kind of thing for a living.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 04/17/17 09:28 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
kirkp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skeettx, thanks for posting the larger pictures. Clicking on a pic to go to photobucket is a pain. Some forums let you upload a pic to the site and some make you use a hosting site. I forget which are which.
Kirk

Boxlock
Boxlock

thank you for the update!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.