Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#477958 04/16/17 07:35 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I started this rifle nearly two years ago when I found the Unertl scope at a gun show. After buying it, I decided it needed a rifle. I took this picture just before sending it out to Charlie Grace in Colorado for checkering and rust bluing.

I used a Ruger No. 1 action, a Douglas barrel chambered in .222 Rem. and a Kepplinger trigger. The nice piece of Circassian walnut came from a friend. I made pattern stocks and had Charlie pre-carve the walnut to my patterns. Then I did the stock work to the point shown.

Charlie says I will have the gun back shortly. Then I plan to shoot in our local benchrest matches this summer.

I have a ton of pictures showing the process. I will post same if there seems to be some interest.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be interested. It may even give me the momentum to finish up on some of my own projects.

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done
Looking forward to more info on this project
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always enjoy a build project. Partial to single shots.
This one looks great.
Chuck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I started with the scope and an action. After I got a barrel, etc, I took it to the local gunsmith and got this back. This shows the metal work partly completed with take-off stocks from another No. 1.

The gun was originally a .458. Now it is a .222 Rem.

The gun in the background is a CZ sporter that I stocked for a friend.

The smith, K.P. Wood of Central Michigan Gunsmithing, is a custom maker himself and a one time member of the ACGC.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 04/23/17 04:14 AM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I, then, got out the Bondo and reshaped the stocks to my liking. My goal here was not elegant but to have plenty of wood when I got it back from pre-carve to make it look exactly like I wanted. I planned to do elegant at that time (I hoped). It took quite a bit of Bondo to build up the cheekpiece.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 04/17/17 10:14 AM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This shows the fore end pattern as it looked when I sent it to Charlie Grace for pre-carving. I had to add wood to the front to make it long enough for the varmint rifle that this is intended to be.

I wanted Charlie to install the ebony tip to my dimensions so I got a marking pen and made a fore end tip for him to copy.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 04/17/17 09:41 AM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since this was to be a varmint/target rifle I shot it in the pattern stocks before shipping it to Charlie in Colorado. I wanted to see what I had before spending a lot more money on it.

My first competition bench guns, forty years ago, were .222's and I had a fair idea on how to make them shoot. I used IMR 4985 and real benchrest bullets that I had moly coated. I sighted it in at 50 yds. and shot a group. It was excellent, a one-holer, so I went to my 100 yd. target. The group there was about 3/8" and I was a happy camper.

I have had my own 50 and 100 yd. range just outside my office door for many years. It's really handy at times like this.

Last edited by Dick Wright; 04/21/17 07:15 PM.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This was taken by a friend who drove down to watch Charlie machine carve my stock. Charlie had bought the machine from Dale Goens a while back.

Dick Wright
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the look of your Ruger! It's what I think Ruger should offer for the forearm shape and style! And the barrel length and contour is also much better than what Ruger offers!
I dislike the forearm shape my old Ruger #1 has, and seeing yours I think I better get off the stick and cut the end off and add an ebony tip!
That long spacing on the scope blocks should make tiny changes in adjustment even easier!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.