May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Ken Nelson, Argo44, Krag 1902, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 710 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Galileo suffered the ultimate research paper review.

That's what I'm talking about.

I think a great deal of actual scientists, it's the system that rewards fraud and squelches dissenting opinion that sucks.

Funny you should mention medical snake oil. My wife has a lengthy history with the latest and greatest treatments for MS, in particular the products of Biogen. The approvals are all rooted in double blind statistical clinical studies. The rewards are enormous for the stockholders, the patients get 'odds'. The best part is that you never can know if the treatment helped, did nothing, or made things worse.

Snake oil or modern miracle? Seems roughly equivalent.

There is now quite a growing body of evidence out there that MS is related to nutritional pattern. Several neurological conditions, including MS, are due to the degradation of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerve endings, now being linked to an autoimmune reaction due to nutrition. This is being largely ignored because there is no profit in it, like there is in symptomatic drug therapies. Has your wife been given any nutritional recommendations?

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Ken61 #478523 04/23/17 09:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry this has veered off course again.

There are many theories about MS Ken. Board certified neurologists are required to recommend that all patients use one of the approved treatments.

Many patients try, fail, and seek alternatives.

There are several nutrition based plans, mostly contradictory.

The heterogeneous nature of the disease means that what works for one, may do nothing for another.

I tend to be cynical about the whole system, from the doctors who are sometimes like monkeys examining a Swiss watch to the drug companies and their brochures full of happy smiling faces.

Drug development is profit driven. Without incentive, we would have none of the advancements of recent years. Wonder drugs do not come from communist countries.

Yet, one must question the ethics. Who are the test subjects in the control group of a clinical study? Should seriously ill people be treated with the available drugs or be used as lab rats to develop more effective stuff we can sell to those able to afford it?

The Theranos story is especially interesting. That was a fraud on many levels, but the critical issue was a that an experimental process, indeed an unproven dream, was sold as s finished product. People have such faith in modern science that they are easily deceived.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Before you kick clue me in on where that galaxy of 7 of 9's is. Thanks.

7 of 9 is borg; where one borg is all are. I don't care if her bodysuit was packed, she was hot!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
....one must question the ethics. Who are the test subjects in the control group of a clinical study? Should seriously ill people be treated with the available drugs or be used as lab rats to develop more effective stuff we can sell to those able to afford it?....

Sorry about 'discussion' in this context.

Test subjects are the entire pool of folks who give their consent to be test subjects and all the risks that go along with it. The phrase I'd key in on is 'develop more effective', and maybe not references to class division. Point being, the 'stuff' has not been developed yet, and during that phase, there is no buy-in by the seriously ill who have the means. Available drugs didn't just appear, they arrived through some path.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been reading and will now write.

Dr. Jones, IMO, has written the best work yet by a very large margin on shotgun patterns.

His work on single pellet breaks is insightful, to say the least.
He finds the aiming accuracy required to have all targets in every 100/100 hit by multiple pellets improbable. This is reasonably arguable.

He has shown that single pellet hits do break targets; not every time, but some/many.

We have no data on the % of single pellet hits result in a broken target and/or the % that do not result in a broken target..

Jones's data shows that single pellet hits usually result in the target breaking into 2 to 4 pieces. Watch and see how many clays fit that description.

The mechanism of target breakage is by fracture. Clay targets are strong, but brittle. When a pellet hit starts a fracture, the centrifugal force of the spin causes the fracture to rapidly spread across the target. Brittle materials have very high rates of tip release for a fracture.

Does anyone have information as to the actual material characteristics of clays? Has anyone seen data on what is required to break one?

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don, most of the targets thrown today, at clubs I have been to, are BIOs, biodegradable targets made primarily of limestone and sulfur. When they first came out many thought they were harder to break than the old "clays" made with a high amount of pitch. Pitch is toxic to hogs (as if that mattered a whole lot) and do not biodegrade, at least not in a looooong time. I believe the BIOs may be a bit harder to break than the older targets, too.

I know of no data on what is required to break one. How could you possibly determine that anyway? Because rotational forces play such a great part in the breaking, when hit marginally, one would have to take into consideration all the differing rotational speeds that are encountered on different presentations, how early or late in the flight of the bird it is shot (rotation slows as the bird travels), the type target (battue, rabbit, standard, midi, mini, etc.), moisture content of the targets ............ ad infinitum.

Center the bird with your hot core. Make that your goal every shot. Tighten up the choke to achieve higher density in the pattern, don't screw in the most open choke you think will break a particular presentation as you are setting yourself up for chips and lost targets that are hit by one to three pellets that do not break. JMHO, of course.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have stopped reading about p. 7 frown

Enough about guns, loads, shot strings, patterns and one pellet breaks - let's talk about Laetril!!
https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/laetrile.html

The problem with the not new but always popular grand conspiracy theory to deny beneficial therapies, fake scientific results, and squelch new discoveries by big pharma, the AMA, and medical professionals is PEOPLE WE LOVE GET SICK TOO.
Our wives get breast cancer and MS
Our children get ALL and glioblastoma
We watch our parents die of pancreatic cancer

Very few of us are blind complicit fools on the take for financial gain, and we want those we love to have the best (as currently defined and likely to change) care available, and are quite capable of doing independent research to find what and where that might be.

BTW: Academic fraud is a big deal, and eventually gets discovered, and punished
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2...arch-fraud.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I should have stopped reading about p. 7 frown

Enough about guns, loads, shot strings, patterns and one pellet breaks - let's talk about Laetril!!
https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/laetrile.html

The problem with the not new but always popular grand conspiracy theory to deny beneficial therapies, fake scientific results, and squelch new discoveries by big pharma, the AMA, and medical professionals is PEOPLE WE LOVE GET SICK TOO.
Our wives get breast cancer and MS
Our children get ALL and glioblastoma
We watch our parents die of pancreatic cancer

Very few of us are blind complicit fools on the take for financial gain, and we want those we love to have the best (as currently defined and likely to change) care available, and are quite capable of doing independent research to find what and where that might be.

I appreciate you sentiment and believe I share your frustration.

Michael

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still don't know if Jones is a 2D or 3D analysis since nobody has said so either way and my redhead librarian has turned out to be unreliable. Darn the luck.

That a target moves during shot cloud passage would seem to complicate the system enough to render 2D analysis largely pointless.

3D investigation is what I'd like to see.

Too bad George Herter isn't still around to sponsor such research, we would be assured a fair and balanced result.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Before you kick clue me in on where that galaxy of 7 of 9's is. Thanks.

7 of 9 is borg; where one borg is all are. I don't care if her bodysuit was packed, she was hot!...Geo

The Borg Babe helped the political career of a rising Dem star in Illinois named Barack Obama.

Jeri Ryan's husband Jack was the Republican candidate for the Senate seat Obama was running for in 2004. The Ryans were going through a messy divorce at the time. The media was pushing for release of documents surrounding the divorce and their custody battle. The Ryans agreed to the divorce records being released, but petitioned to withhold the custody information because they said it could harm their child. The judge released it all.

Turned out, in the custody fight, Jeri claimed that Jack wanted her to perform sex acts in front of other people and in various sex clubs. She didn't speak on the issue in public. But it was enough to cause Jack Ryan to drop out of the race and basically hand the Senate seat to Obama.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.