March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: craigd
You might consider having a good smith line the .410 barrel instead. It would probably be a much more routine and cost effective option. There are very good liners available, likely the equivalent of many after market barrels. The same smith could easily fiddle with the extractor and set the barrel up the way you want it for your favorite sights. I'd consider a decent trigger job.

Having seen this done with a really nice old Belgian double hammer gun, I would go this route too except that I might have it done with barrels turned down (or ordered) to size rather than liners. I once had a hankering for a Dangerous Game Double Rabbit Rifle in .22lr. I still like that idea. So, I bought Graham's(?) book and studied it for a while, but never did move forward on it.

The guy that did the .22 set up some eccentrics so that he could regulate the double. The book discusses this too. It's not so simple as sliding in a liner and some glue. But it seems very doable (says he who does no machining).

A .22 double built on a .410 - still sounds like heaven to me. Something that would be shot a whole bunch and really enjoyed. I need to revisit this.

It does to me, too. I have looked into the inserts that are available for this, but they all require knocking the empties out with a cleaning rod, from the muzzle. I don't want one that bad. I could live with extractors, but not with using a rod for ejection.

I would begin with this. $489 and a great value. I've shot one for about 7-8 years without a hiccup.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/en/elg_12.html

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
An insert barrel(Einstecklauf)in 22LR can be "shop made" and be set up with a "thumbnail" notch to extract the empty. I have seen these at Al. Gun Collectors Assn. Gun shows, and by reports work very well. They are adjustable for POI, but I'm not sure if a 410 is large enough to be adjustable. I know of 20 ga. ones.
Mike

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Kreighoff .22 WRM insert barrel that I got for a Savage/Valmet O/U combination gun. It shoots very accurately and has an integral extractor that works with the original shotgun one. I have it set for the open sights and use the scope for the centerfire barrel.

I got mine used when a friend bought a modern drilling at an estate sale and didn't want the insert. Not sure they are available any more and would be pricey if they were.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: BrentD
....A .22 double built on a .410 - still sounds like heaven to me. Something that would be shot a whole bunch and really enjoyed. I need to revisit this.

It does to me, too....

My ultimate dangerous rabbit double rifle has always been, probably barrels instead of lining, in 38 spec. with the twist and throat for wad cutter target loads. On a slim, scaled down rifle, the holes in the end of the tube would keep a bit of the big bore look, but I think there's a good chance that it could be balanced a little better. If it ended up shooting half way decent, I think it would be a great plinker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I was a machinist I'd build my own liners, Der Ami, and have the bore a few thou off center at the muzzle, rotate them until I got the two tubes shooting to same POI, then cut the extractor notches to mate up with the original extractors. Sounds like something that could be done, but at great expense if you hired it out.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
One of my Einstecklaufs is regulated that way( with an eccentric on the muzzle of the EL which has a slot across the front, and is turned by a screwdriver from the muzzle of the shotgun to regulate the EL). You could also put a collar on the muzzle end, with 4 small set screws and regulate it like a 4 jaw chuck. A lathe is a necessity of life( a mill too).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

A source for barrels is the Savage 94 hammer gun.
I would advise trying the barrel first before buying the donor gun, but up to this point I haven't found a 94 barrel that didn't have a little extra metal so that it could be fitted to the 219 (or 220).
I have a 219 with 3 barrels at this point. The only difference is that the 219 has a snap fore end and the 94 is a screw on.
25-35 is on my list. Nice choice.
Good luck.

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Tom--that's really good info. Actually I've asked specifically about using a 94 barrel on a 219 or 220, but nobody I've asked seems to know the answer, until now. So the BBS comes thru again! I'll start looking....

Mike Armstrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

One consideration is that if you line the barrel with a rifled liner, you can cut the barrel to 16" and be legal, whereas a smoothbore must be 18".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.