March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Working with my lawyer I recently completed the difficult task of determining the disposition of my meager assets upon my eventual demise. While as far as I know I should be around a good while longer, ya just never know. The question is "What should be come of my gun collection?". I could begin to sell them now and put the cash away.I know the value of some odd ball stuff I have. I could just die and then I won't have to worry about it. I have a list of guns my kids want so they are covered. None of them want to get the whole works. Recently a friend of mine passed on. His wife loaded all the guns into her SUV and sold them to a local dealer who gave her as far as I can see about 35 cents on the dollar. I have seen the list.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Swampman

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep easy to move stuff at fair price and move the harder to sell stuff or stuff for which the market is dwindling down from year to year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have detailed written instructions for the selling or passing on of my guns, tools, wood and stock blanks. Guns were easy. Kids know what they want and the rest gets split into two groups. The best goes to a local dealero on a consignment basis, while the rest will goes to an auction house to be sold over three to four auctions. Don't want my wife or kids to be stuck trying to sell my guns over a year or so time. Bundle them up and drop them off or have them picked up, let others do it for a fee.

When my brother died I had to dispose of all of his stuff. It took me three days to separate things out and another week to move them out. Cleaning crew, painting crew, cleaning crew again, then real estate agent. In three weeks his house as on the market and under contract shortly the after. About a third of his stuff went to Craigslist, same to goodwill and the rest to friends and family. Everything was sold and gone in less than a week. The only rule I had was that I was not going to bring any of it home with me. God knows I've got enough stuff already.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a list of my meager collection (and estimated values) which I have given to my two daughters and their husbands. When I die, the S-I-L's will take what they want, and I assume make a financial adjustment if needed. The remainder will go to Jaqua's. The stuff that is hard to dispose of is the gun junque in the basement - Loaders, dies, powder,shot, etc. Thankfully, that stuff won't amount to a huge sum, but will represent a bunch of wasted time. Now how do you rid of a 30 gun custom made safe?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good topic to bring up. I agree somewhat with tudurgs and have discussed it with my family. My son and son-in-law will have the guns they want, the rest going to a trusted and frequented local gun shop whose owner I'm friends with and knows my wishes.
In fact, My wife and I are going to a lwayer this week to have a will finally made up after many years of putting it off. Like SWAMPMAN said, we're never sure of our "expiration date". Me, I want to hit the ground like a well spent shotshell. I don't believe God subtracts the time from a man's life spent hunting gamebirds.
I want to also note that my gun book collection and gun room stuff will be going to a well known sporting book dealer in the area. Almost forgot all the other stuff!
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/29/17 02:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

pass it on now...you came in with nothing...go out the same...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,
In throry that's true, but I still need some stuff to continue having fun. I did however get rid of things that I haven't used in quite awhile, some O/U's for instance.
I've heard a phrase that "he who dies with the most toys wins". That can be quite a hardship for the family left behind. That was my reason for thinning out the flock in the first place.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/29/17 02:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wife has been told to put all the gun stuff in the dumpster when i die.

My shooting buddies have been informed to gather at the dumpster the day after the funeral.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The kids bought me a t shirt years ago that said

"He who dies with the most toys - still dies"

At some point as I age. I will thin it out

If the unexpected happens too soon I hope friends will help and that in the long run that will be the least concern of my passing

Sidelock
Sidelock

It will be interesting to see what happens to gun prices as the 'Boomers age. Antiques are not selling as well as they did in years past. I suspect that guns...particularly old guns...will take a major dive in value. Millenials don't want them...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.