April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Replacement, 12boreman, Mark II, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, graybeardtmm3), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,022
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#476092 03/25/17 12:28 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As Colt vs S&W was brought up in another thread I decided to initiate a new thread rather than continue on a tangent to the original topic.
Of course neither Colt nor S&W invented "The Revolver". Revolvers had been on the scene for more than 200 years in limited numbers & for the most part not very successful before either Colt or S&W entered the picture. It is virtually certain that while on his tour as a seaman while in Calcutta Sam Colt saw a Collier revolver. He recognised its potential but saw its faults as well. On hie return trip home he worked on his ideas for improving the revolver, carving a wooden model in every off duty moment he had.
On his return home he continued to work on it, hiring a machinist, Anson Chase, to build a patent model in iron/steel. His subsequent patent consisted of 4 features.
1-A pawl connected to the hammer to rotate the cylinder upon cocking
2-A locking bolt to secure each chamber in line with the barrel, also operated by the hammer.
3-The cones for the percussion caps were located in the rear of the cylinder on the C/Ls of the chambers
4-He placed a partition between the caps to prevent cross flash from setting off adjacent caps, this one came as a result of a catastrophic failure of the first model built from that cause.
This patent was issued in 1836 on the day Santa Ana attacked the Alamo.
S&W thus could not build a successful revolver until the expiration of Colt's patent 21 years later in 1857. They put their little .22 short, 7 shot #1 "Tip Up" on the market in 1858, utilizing Rollin White's patent for a bored through cylinder. Bored through cylinders had been utilized in Europe for a number of years, but apparently had not been patented in the US.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #476095 03/25/17 12:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on, you're actually comparing Smith & Wesson to Colt? With all the history Colt had during the percussion era and beyond.

Even the Pony Express turned in their rifles to carry a Colt threw the bad lands. Prior to that accomplishment Captain Jack Hays, the Walker used in the Mexican War and beyond, not to mention the Peacemaker.

During the Battle of Walker's Creek the Comanches attempted to use their traditional style of mounted warfare, but this time thanks to Sam Colt, each of the Rangers was armed with two rapid firing Paterson revolvers. One Comanche who took part in the fight complained that the Rangers "had a shot for every finger on the hand."

There is no comparison. History wise anyway.

I've never seen a Smith & Wesson command these prices,

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/05/historic-colt-paterson-revolver-sells-for-414000/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011...ice-at-auction/

2-piper #476096 03/25/17 01:41 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Due to my Southern Heritage my ancestors loved S&W. After all their defence of the bored through cylinder kept efficient "Cattige" revolvers out of the hands of them "Blue Coats".
Actually I thought I worded my post in such a way as to show that Samuel Colt was indeed "The Great Equalizer". Actually when White was issued his patent he was an employee of Colt. Colt was given first shot at it but refused. On this occasion he simply failed to see its potential. Colt was even then gearing up for increased production of his arms for the War he was certain was imminent. As White's patent was based on the little BB Cap Colt looked at it as a Toy & simply failed to foresee how quickly the metallic cartridge would be replacing the Front Stuffers. an extension was applied for on White's patent which the patent office rejected. S&W appealed to congress who over-rode the patent office. This was while U S Grant was president so he vetoed congress's override as he was still miffed that S&W had prevented the use of effective cartridge revolvers by the Union Army
So, yes from the time of the Seminole Wars through "The War Between the States" & on into the following Indian wars Colt led the way. During TWBTS Colt's biggest competitor was Remington, followed by Starr. S&W would not even be in the running until later

Last edited by 2-piper; 03/25/17 01:49 PM.

Miller/TN
2-piper #476100 03/25/17 02:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Colt only made TWO really good pistols...The Single action Army. and the 1911...End of discussion...NO! I am not biased..

2-piper #476101 03/25/17 02:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

COLT was a better shotgun than the smith & wesson shotgun
Right on this DOUBLEGUN posting smile

Last edited by skeettx; 03/25/17 02:22 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
2-piper #476102 03/25/17 03:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A little later, and a little different take. The early K-frames and New Service revolvers can be interesting, quality shooters.

2-piper #476103 03/25/17 03:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeets. we talkin bout pistols, heah naow...Not em dadgum scatterguns...

Last Dollar #476104 03/25/17 03:16 PM
2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Colt only made TWO really good pistols...The Single action Army. and the 1911...End of discussion...NO! I am not biased..

It is noted that Remington with their "Stronger" solid frame revolver on which the cylinder was much easier & quicker to interchange did not begin to encroach on Colt production during the "War" until a major fire at Colt's greatly curtailed production. a lot of men in both Blue & Gray whose lives depended upon their 1851 & 1860 Colts would likely disagree with you & with good reason I might add.

Miller/TN
2-piper #476105 03/25/17 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see your point Miller, interesting that Colt failed to see the potential.

Its impossible to read anything about the development of the Old West without finding references to the '51 Colt, or other Colt percussion revolvers.

Then the Peacemaker showed up.

2-piper #476108 03/25/17 04:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmm. Unlike Miller or Last Dollar, I'm not old enough to have participated in the Uncivil war 'twixt the states, but, I have burned a fair amount of ammunition through both S&W and Colt wheelguns, of much later vintage. What passed for a lowly police department issue gun from either maker, back in the early 1970s, is considered high revolver art now-think Trooper MKIII or Model 27.
My model 27 went down the road, still have the Trooper, in that same most useful loading of all time .357 magnum. I can't say I liked one gun more than the other, but, I didn't need two hog legs in .357, and somebody gave me more cash than I paid for the Model 27. He would have done the same with the Colt. My CCL gun is a S&W 360PD Chief's Special Airweight, also in the same most useful loading of all time. I have been keeping my eyes open for a Detective Special in .38 for a few years, but, haven't found the right gun yet. I will. Federal Hydra-Shoks in .38+P, loaded in any of the above, will spoil the whole afternoon for anyone they happen to run into. I had a girlfriend who would walk the path with me grouse hunting, who was hassled one time, and after that event, I would strap the Trooper on her when we went.
End of that problem. Later, she bought her own Python, and became pretty smooth with it. You go, girl.
Any time you'd like me to demonstrate how good either make can be Last Dollar, you can stand 8-10 paces from me, while I pump a few demonstration rounds into you. It might change your opinion of how good they really are. To this day, .357 magnum enjoys a reputation of stopping gunfights in one shot that isn't enjoyed by any other caliber. Including .45.
I'm not terribly interested in what worked better in the civil war when the discussion turns to handguns, but, when I carry, a modern revolver from either maker is what a CCL gun should be, IMHO. Simple, concealable, accurate, dependable, and of one piece design.

One could do much worse.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.