April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hugh Lomas, SKB, Lloyd3, eightbore), 219 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gerald A. Mele

As much as I love the feel of the British guns I have handled, I'll bet they can handle the pounding of a good Beretta at the clay range.

Jerry

That above statement is a bit hard to understand.
Could you please clarify the intended meaning.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boss " Makers of Best Guns only"

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had no idea Beretta had been around for that long. Fair play , that's impressive. Their modern guns clearly have a well deserved reputation too, as do Browning with their brilliant designs which was said earlier.
Cogswell & Harrison have been in business since 1770 and there were a great many gun making firms which were in business before that but didn't survive as long, but I'm guessing it's breech loading shotguns were talking about here.
I think the brit gun trade borrowed/refined several European designs (french and German ?) Which led to the handful of much copied actions we still see in use today. The A&D boxlock springs to mind along with the famous sidelock and O/U designs. Maybe it's things like choked barrels and reliable ejector and trigger systems and the non stop research into balance, patterning and ammunition that helped give the English/British shotgun it's fine reputation back in the day. We also churned out millions of basic trade guns and some patent guns which didn't really work very well. Some were tools, some were built for the more discerning customer and other firms chose only to make the finest guns (even if many of these were born on a bench in the Midlands next to a utility grade gun the same pair of hands were working on.)
One thing is clear, there were amd still are superb guns made in many countries.
Some firms such as SKB had been around for a surprisingly long time too . Beretta may take some beating though.

Last edited by El Garro; 03/25/17 07:43 AM.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are there any really old Berettas that survive....

Not a Beretta historian but I thought the Italians mostly made junk guns until 60 or 70 years ago and got where they got by copying others designs.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: trw999
Stan, I'm not sure I see you're point. You seem to be saying Beretta are the best firm. But you have also bought British gunmaking into your thinking, alongside Remington and how long the firms have been going. Oh and by the way, it's Anglophile, nothing to do with telephones!

I'll take it that what you're getting at is that you feel Beretta are the greatest. I believe this is an extremely subjective area and that we'd all end up arguing for those firms that we especially like, follow or support. It's much the same as some folk think Bentley is better than Rolls, or Lotus is better than Porsche, or Ford better than GM. Get a pub full of enthusiasts and they'll back whichever firm they feel most interested in, most loyal to or which they've followed for longest. Much the same for followers of football teams - or cricket teams, since you bought the Brits into it!

Either way, it'll make for lively discussion.

Tim

My point is that the Italians do not receive proper credit for their amazing domination of the market for fine double guns. Not only the continuous operation of one gunmaker, Beretta, but the innovations that have come from the little region of Brescia are astounding when taken into consideration. English names such as Boss, Woodward, Westley Richards, and Purdey cast a large shadow, but there is possibly a greater presence of gun making excellence. The monicker "London Gun" has carried an aura of near awe, and has been held up as a banner for two centuries. But, the awe might well be better placed now with the term "Brescia Gun".

Consider not only the high end guns of the goliath Beretta, but the likes of Rizzini, Piotti, Guerini, Zanardini, Poli, Perugini & Visini, Famars Abbiatico and Salvanelli, and to ramp it up a notch or two ...... Perazzi, Bosis and Fabbri. And there are many, many more small shops in operation there today turning out the finest double guns with some of the finest engraving the world has ever known

I'm not casting aspersions on the great English makers, but by all means give all credit due to the finest competition, and hunting doubles in the world that come from the the Val Trompia, and surrounding area.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They filled a void left open by the English gun makers....

What always puzzled me at my gun club was every time you look around someone is having trouble out of their Perrazi yet the following remains.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The trade in Italy took a HUGE hit with the last economic downturn and is on life support at best, save Beretta. Most of the smaller makers and some decent sized ones like A&S are no longer in business. I think the Italians are wonderful at bolino style engraving and target guns. Game guns? Not so much. They try but I believe the term London Best continues to this day for a reason. I'll keep my 20's vintage H&H self-opener thanks.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The royalty angle is amusting. If Purdey depended on royalty and nobility for his living he would have gone bankrupt. The shaming of fellow lords and nobles by Lord Henry Bentinck to pay up their debts to Purdey is well documented.

The ledger books of Purdey and other makers feature more plain Misters and middle army ranks than lords and princes. The untitled were and are the bread and butter clientele.

Designwise, there is not a boxlock made anywhere that can rival the Beretta 626. In sidelocks their 451 can stand against any other. In OU sidelocs the trapezoid shoulders yield a shallower and NARROWER gun than any Boss derived OU.

As for what can be done if you go seriously custom, the photo is of a humble Essential 686 that was customised by British gunmaker Casleton. I post the link because photo posting here is such a pain

http://oplognosia.com/?s=Casleton&submit=

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 03/25/17 08:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That thing is butt ugly...

Sidelock
Sidelock

The English gun has been tested over and over again on more than one continent in the harshest conditions and under the most dangerous of circumstances for centuries. No other has been put to that extreme test for that amount of time.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.