Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

... and then there's "shootable" ...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or "normal, for a blackpowder era firearm"....

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bottomline, yes it is frustrating that the auction companies all do their descriptions different with some describing the bore and other not even mentioning it, however they are not going to change anytime in the near future. In fact all the online buyers could boycott the services and it would still take more years to change then many of us on this website have left.
I think what Vall said pretty much describes the root cause of why the auction houses do or do not describe the bore. REMEMBER WHAT MOM SAID, "BUYER BEWARE"
So, you the potential buyers need to make a decision, are you going to or are you not going to participate, you get to choose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly, I choose to pass on may of these tacky ways of avoiding stating that the bore is in poor condition. When I was bidding on rifles from Michael's collection on Amoskeag, I certainly paid attention to bore condition. I found that, at least in the one instance of the rifle I bought, I got exactly what they described.

Gunrunner Auctions is another place where bore condition is almost always mentioned. I have my first purchase from them awaiting me at the LGS so I will see how honest they are.

If we patronize auctions where bore condition is honestly described and rat out those where it is not, we can do our part to improve the game.

I won't buy a firearm from a gunshow or shop if the bore is full of dust and lint and the dealer won't run a patch through it so I can inspect it. I don't lose sleep if I walk away from a few guns now and then.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still have bad feelings about Rock Island with regard to the "stated" condition of an early special order LeFever. It was a damn good thing that I drove the 420 miles (round trip) to look at the gun before the auction. When I first saw it sitting on the table I was giddy as a school girl because the outside looked great. The exterior was beautiful with a very high percentage of original case color and beautiful Damascus. The coverage of engraving was up there with an "A Grade", beautiful dogs and scroll. The wood had nice figure as well, typical of the higher grade LeFevers. I figured I'd be paying whatever necessary to take it home with me then I opened it up and looked down the tubes. My heart sank as the bores, said in print by RI to be "bright", looked like old rotted out exhaust pipes with deep pits running the entire length of the bores. I was pissed, actually pissed to the point of being openly vocal to the RI staff at hand. I'm generally none too pleased about people who waste my time but this really did a number on what I try to maintain as a friendly disposition. Sure I suppose I could have entertained the idea of sleeving the barrels but of course I had no idea of what another might bid not knowing the actual condition of the gun. I have not gone back to RI since, so much for trust.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Vall, This seems to be the auction houses' point of view. I would reply that bore condition, to someone who knows what to look for, is no more subjective than another part of a description. And, if the catalogers don't know what to look for, they could either be trained or replaced. If a company wants internet bidders, they should do what they reasonably can to give them information comparable to what on site bidders can see for themselves.

I do agree that bore condition should be stated, but I doubt even well trained folks will all agree on bore condition, anymore than they rarely agree on external condition. I've been collecting, and buying/selling antique guns for almost 50 years, and I've seen a huge disparity in that time between sellers. I'd venture to say I could take 5 guys and show them each the same gun, and ask their estimate of bore and exterior, and likely get 5 different opinions.
I've always tried to underestimate guns I sell. I have been lucky to date, as every buyer has told me the gun was "better than expected". Or that I was conservative in my estimate. I like hearing that, as too many people tell me the guns they buy are big disappointments when they finally get them in their hands.
I think I know the seller BrentD mentioned when he described those who use descriptions like, "Should clean up to..." or "good for it's age", etc. There is a online dealer using these phrases often, and I sent two guns back before I finally gave up on his lies, and clever descriptions. Cost me shipping, but usually the bores and general condition were both worse than described. I tell anyone who mentions his name to run away quickly!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that auctions allow many more folks to get into the guns that they otherwise would never even be able to handle in person but also think that in rifles, bore condition is too subjective. Subjective as to the sellers experience in looking at bores and also subjective as to whether the rifle will shoot satisfactorily with said bore condition. Im sure we all have crappy bores which shoot quite well, right?
What I genuinely loath, is pure laziness on the part of the seller or auction house. My Westley match rifle had a bore report which was not complimentary but after cleaning and shooting some PP loads, it actually looks quite nice and shoots very well. I think the crappy bore condition report kept it from selling at auction (Julias) and if they had bothered to give it a decent cleaning, it would have sold at auction for more than I paid for it at the post auction sale.
Even at shows, I am shocked by the number of rifles which have clearly not been cleaned in years! You damn near need to bring a kit with you to get a good idea of the bores sometimes!
I have come out on the upside more often than not in this regard, luckily, but as SKB says, if you know what you are buying and buy it right (at your comfortable bid) you will be all right. He has the benefit of being a smith whom understands what he is buying and has the ability to right the wrongs of the gun as well.
Also, you will notice that, generally, the sellers who go to the trouble of thoroughly describing a gun and it's bore are usually the guys whom have been selling from before the internet era. Gentlemen like George Caswell do a great job describing his guns on offer because he came from an era when a lot of sales were made based on a printed catalog description, often with no pictures at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had some good surprise also Huvius. Bought old guns at various gun shows that sellers were too lazy to clean, and ended up after a lot of extensive cleaning having a very nice bore.
Purchased a Ballard Pacific recently that the gun shop never lifted a finger to try and clean. It looked horrendous with some sort of brown gunk all over the metal! I got it for a song, and spent 6 hours stripping the entire gun down to it's base parts and cleaning it. It took acetone to break the gunk loose, but underneath was a very nice Ballard Pacific!

Before, with one spot cleaned to read the caliber (.40-85):

After, entirely cleaned:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any body ever look at morphys auction ????

Lyons Gunsmithing
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sheephunter
Any body ever look at morphys auction ????

By chance I just looked at an item on Morphy's just a few days ago when a friend asked me to check a gun out there. The description said, "very good condition" and the gun was a later 336 Marlin with almost no finish left on it anywhere, and ugly wood. If that's their idea of very good, I wont look in on their auctions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.