March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Patsy57 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all I recently acquired this Lindner 185 and was wondering who would specialize in restoring this beauty?

I'm not entirely sure also on the specifics of this gun it's a 12ga SXS. Any more info would be appreciated.

It seems as though someone has blued the receiver.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks!

Last edited by Patsy57; 03/19/17 04:17 PM.
Patsy57 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Last edited by Patsy57; 03/18/17 12:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is one of the German makers that can meet the challenge of the English ones. I would make sure barrel solder joint are in good shape and if ok I would use the gun as is. No restoration/refinish is really needed.

Patsy57 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I would like to have this exactly the way it was when it came from the original maker.

That being said do you feel the receiver is blued as I don't think that was the case from the factory?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The gun was originally color case hardened. If you care to about the options for restoring your gun, contact me. I usually recommend clients avoid re-haredning actions unless necessary. A French grey would look very nice on that receiver. The Daly guns by Lindner are wonderful and that one looks pretty clean over all besides the blued action.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Patsy57 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Does anyone know what the value of this gun would happen to be?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Patsy57
Does anyone know what the value of this gun would happen to be?

The gun looks to be in reasonable condition, with the emphasis on "looks".

The fact that the receiver got blued makes it easy to imagine other foolish things might have been done, changing it from it's original configuration. What are the chokes, what is the bore like, what are the actual chambers and what are the minimum barrel wall thicknesses?

Hard to put a valuation on it without that kind of detailed, pertinent info. Go on gun broker and guns international and look for Lindner 12 gauge Empire grades and see what asking prices are. Then compare condition. You'll at least find out what some other owners THINK is a proper asking price.

It's trite, but they are only ever worth what someone will pay you for them.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Patsy57 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I completely understand I was more inclined to try and understand the markets prices for these on average. Every gun is individually priced thereafter based on specifics but with no starting price it's hard to know what is accurate.

That being said why would you suggest to look up "Empire Grade"?

Is that what this was originally?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops. My mistake. When I was typing out my post I just had it in my head it was an Empire grade and did not double check the original post.

Edit to add: If it were my gun, I would first do my best to ascertain the actual condition of the gun. How original, how well cared for, what changes had been made. And not wishful thinking.

Then I would compare it to all the other Lindner hammerless I could find for sale, all grades, keeping in mind what we see are askings and reserves, usually. Hammer prices from recent auctions might be especially valuable. I say all grades because I would be trying to get a feel for the overall Lindner market, not just that for model 185's. Too narrow for good sample size.

Then I'd figure out where my gun fits in on the scale, balancing current condition with original quality.

Last edited by canvasback; 03/20/17 04:44 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the current Lindner Daly discussion thread. Lot's of good Lindner info and discussion.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=470491&page=1

If you don't mind, please post your pics into this thread.

You gun carries the second Lindner mark, second serialization number sequence (not counting the early Scott numbers) attributed to Heinrich. I suspect since it's #1594, it possibly has Damascus barrels that were blued over with the rest of the metalwork. I can't tell from the pics, have you looked it over carefully under magnification?

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.