March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a late seventies G&H in the shop that has a buggered bolt handle job and I am tasked with fixing it. Can someone give me some information photos etc. as to how it would have looked. A side mount is on the rifle but I don't know if it was originally fitted or not I am waiting on G&H to reply back and tell me if that detail is documented I suspect it wasn't and after the addition the bolt was altered then re done again. Were bolts ever altered or replaced in addition to the side mount from G&H? most the ones I have seen do not appear to be any different from the standard bolt.

Thank you for helping

Last edited by Nick Hughes; 02/28/17 11:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pics would be a big help. Without seeing the bolt handle I wouldn't even hazard a guess. As for whether or not the side mount was installed by G&H, if they did it the screw heads will be flush with no slots showing. Ie: they installed them with extra long screw heads and pins and ground them flush before bluing, making them nearly invisible. That's not to say though that a conscientious smith wouldn't have done the same thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

- Let's see if this helps...

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you that does help and that is the second one I have seen like that. I have a pre war G&H on loan that does not have a side mount and the bolt is un altered and the reciever is not notched also there is no notch in the stock since the handle sticks out enough to clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick,
1960's, G&H, M-70 (the only bolt handle pic I have)

I've also got pics of 1930's G&H if you woud like?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Steve,

If you have pics of a Springfield that would be great. Also if someone could get a pic of one with the bolt handle up (like the Springfield shown above) showing the root and notch in the tang that would help. I have discussed this with a friend and he thinks that they cut the handle off and welded it back on backwards (for scoped rifles) and it certainly looks like it. I have a couple old bolts and will test the theory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is my G&H Springfield sporter, complete with altered bolt:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick,

Here are 2 views of the bolt on G&H Springfield 24xx.

Here is one that shows the side mount (# unknown)

And here is one from a Kornbrath era gun

Bob Beach
Archivist
Griffin & Howe, Inc

Bob Beach
Sidelock
Sidelock

This early (pre-WW II) sporter has the scope mounted high enough that no bolt alteration is necessary:

The slide on the Lyman 48 receiver sight also remains in place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Late 1920s Griffin & Howe Springfield.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.